Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if been Mentioned already but one of my favourite Mase moments came during that really tight v Saints game at Marvel when we hit the front really late in the game & Mase took a Mark right on the boundary with 25-30 secs to go . He looked at the shot clock & time left in the game , put the ball under his armpit & just stood there using all 30secs for his set shot allowable time . Siren goes (saints supporters going absolutely ape shit ) ... and ... he slots the goal thru!! 💪 just to add a bit more salt in the already bleeding 🩸 saints wounds ?! 👌👍💪

Not sure if been Mentioned already but one of my favourite Mase moments came during that really tight v Saints game at Marvel when we hit the front really late in the game & Mase took a Mark right on the boundary with 25-30 secs to go . He looked at the shot clock & time left in the game , put the ball under his armpit & just stood there using all 30secs for his set shot allowable time . Siren goes (saints supporters going absolutely ape sh*t ) ... and ... he slots the goal thru!! 💪 just to add a bit more salt in the already bleeding 🩸 saints wounds ?! 👌👍💪
Yeh I remember that.
He changed history because in a few weeks time the shot clock appeared on the big screens!

Not sure if been Mentioned already but one of my favourite Mase moments came during that really tight v Saints game at Marvel when we hit the front really late in the game & Mase took a Mark right on the boundary with 25-30 secs to go . He looked at the shot clock & time left in the game , put the ball under his armpit & just stood there using all 30secs for his set shot allowable time . Siren goes (saints supporters going absolutely ape sh*t ) ... and ... he slots the goal thru!! 💪 just to add a bit more salt in the already bleeding 🩸 saints wounds ?! 👌👍💪

Not going to get caught up in the effort or application conversation... I did enough of that while he was a listed player.
His farewell message was really good, he lived the dream that so many young kids have in this country.
He should be proud he made it, and I am sure that he will hold really good memories of some match winning performances.
I wish that we were farewelling Mase after a 280 game, AA caliber career... we aren’t, that’s ok.
Good luck Mason, I wish you all the very best.
Great post

2016 at the Northern End Docklands v * .
Took an amazing mark in the square and concussed himself.

As a matter of fact it was that game that was the beginning of the start of our decline to where we are today as a Club.
We were 10 goals up during our 9-0 streak, then we stopped, * came storming home and almost snatched it. I can still recall the * fans at the stadium standing and applauding their team as they came off the ground, losers.

I was at his first game at Docklands in the last round 2014. He kicked 3 goals on debut, which is a bloody fair effort.
(My other memory of that game was Dan "Ringburner" Currie killing it in the ruck.)

It's a pity to see a bloke of his talent depart us. For years I had hoped he would break-out, but alas it never came.

Good luck Mase with whatever is next.

We were 10 goals up during our 9-0 streak, then we stopped, * came storming home and almost snatched it. I can still recall the * fans at the stadium standing and applauding their team as they came off the ground, losers.
Yes correct. It feels like every game since then has been a loss.

Had all the tricks and ability to be a Superstar.
3 goals on debut.
Had the brains to hold the ball for 30 seconds, wait for the siren then slot it home against the Saints.
That Goal against Sydney.
Many more teasers I can't recall.

Hard to explain why he didn't reach his potential,
Maybe it was developing under BS.
Maybe he couldn't overcome that voice in his head.
Maybe maybe maybe.

I hope he gets another chance elsewhere and that desire to succeed turns him into the player he was supposed to be.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Although I was disappointed with how Mason’s career panned out it is interesting to go back and look at the 2012 draft. There were so many dud picks, especially by SOS for GWS.
Thanks Mason and good luck.

So sad to see Mase leave our club but even sadder to see him running around absolutely bereft of confidence over the past few months.

I stuck up for him on numerous times in here as I could see his huge potential, that purple patch in 2016 when he was averaging 17 disposals and a couple of goals at CHF before that muppet Schofield from WCE wrecked his knee was a true indication of where his career was heading, but unfortunately it wasn’t to be.

I reckon he’ll get a second chance and hopefully it clicks again like 2016, just not against us in a big final.

Go well young man and may the future be a bright one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't understand where it all went wrong.

Came to the club a cocky young man with a strut and all the talent in the world.

Left as a guy with slumped shoulders like he'd rather be anywhere than be on a footy field.

If anyone was going to get picked up out of the delistees it was going to be Mason imo
I thought Maj despite age would be the best chance as everyone loves a backup ready made ruck/forward

Wood I thought would be a chance but he’s that awkward third tall role that not a lot of teams use now

If he does well at Saints I'm going be really pissed off.

I mean very happy for Mase sure just yeah......

If he does well at Saints I'm going be really pissed off.

I mean happy for Mase sure just yeah......

Don't think I could bring myself to be annoyed about it if it eventuated. As a player he simply reeked of needing a fresh start with very few expectations. Whatever good form he might manage to conjure if his career is rescued, I don't think we would have seen it if he simply stayed with us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back