Past 31. Tom Williamson

Remove this Banner Ad

Really sad and upsetting news.
Godspeed on your recovery Willo and thanks for all your years and dedicated service to our footy club.

Wish you and your family all the very best going fowards, mental health Demons are an absolute bastard.

Thanks again Willo, you will be missed 😢

To read of his battles early in his career - the glandular fever, the spinal related issues (hits close to home) and the other less publicized but often spoken about issues - really made me admire his perserverence.

It has been written and it has been said countless times over the years that the time spent injured and in recovery or the rehab group of a pro sports club is dreadfully lonely and damaging on the soul.

I feel especially compassionate and sympathetic to our interstate and country developed talent when they experience long periods on the sidelines. Not only are they already away from their support group but their time around their peers can be cut dramatically.

Unfortunately, those issues compounded together with the drama that was the Carlton coaching carousel. Bolton to Teague and finally Voss. Each coach having wildly different sets of expectations and standards as well as each seeing him and his skill set as something very different and valuing it very differently.

Just as Tom would have gotten going again the conditions that he was playing under had changed. This can - does - stalls development faster than anything else.

The sad truth is that Willo was up against it from the moment he was first hitting his straps. His development was stalled and the affects that everything would have had on his mental wellbeing all too easy to see.

This isn't a failure of Williamson. Nor is it a failure on any one individual. I hope that Tom is able to see this rather than walking away thinking that he had failed himself or anybody else.

As every one has said, there is far more to this great world that we live in than a sport, a profession, etc.

Sometimes our greatest personal victories are found in stepping away and discovering what's next in our journey.

With his perserverence when he finds it he'll smash it.

All the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for being a part of the Carlton Football Club fabric for the past 6 years Willo. Was a privilege to watch your journey and dedication to this club, despite some serious injury/health challenges. I'm sad to see you go but best of luck with the next phase of your life. You will always be part of the Carlton family, having worn the navy blue with pride in 44 games. Although a short AFL career, you gave us all some fantastic memories. Go well Tommy.

Was always enjoyable watching his guy play - good and bad - every possession was an adventure.

Had plenty of ability. Sad he’s no longer in the frame, but hopefully he’s not lost to footy.
Agree, love his dash and kicking prowess. Decision making his issue at the top level but could be worked on over time.
Whatever level of footy he plays I hope wing he makes his own.

All the best Tom. Already miss seeing your name on our list.

Very sad news indeed..... He had his battles with the ongoing back issues for a couple of years until Russell finally got him right and he was stringing a few games together as an attaching wingman in the VFL this season to quite a good measure according to all reports. Was really looking forward to him breaking into our senior side at some point this year. Hope he beats his current issues and makes it back as I believe he had all the physical ingredients to succeed in football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back