Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg. intercept marks per game

Remove this Banner Ad

Best news all day. He is a forward and should be played there. Don’t care about this year so happy for him to play back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Mick Barlow mentioned before the season that this wasn't necessarily a long term move.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Still rather him down back, because he could develop to AA level imo. Will never be better than serviceable as a forward, due to his lack of forward craft and poor goal-kicking.

He doesn’t have any defensive craft either. He is going to be a see ball get ball player until he gets at least 50 games under the belt. Then he may develop some more craft or may just end up staying the same/.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn’t have any defensive craft either. He is going to be a see ball get ball player until he gets at least 50 games under the belt. Then he may develop some more craft or may just end up staying the same/.

Get what you're saying, he's still raw. But just see a much higher ceiling for him down back. He's numbers are comparable to McKay's who has 4 years and 60 odd games on him.

We desperately need a 2nd key forward, but I wouldn't be moving Chom.

Still rather him down back, because he could develop to AA level imo. Will never be better than serviceable as a forward, due to his lack of forward craft and poor goal-kicking.

I agree.

Comben has surprised me with his usefulness down back.

His strength is that he plays tall and can crash a pack, including taking a decent intercept mark. We badly needed that down back, and he's done well.

His weaknesses, as we've seen, are his foot skills and decision making with the ball in hand. Those do not fill me with confidence in terms of becoming as good a forward as he has been in defense.

In his (obviously limited) career to date, his set shot accuracy has been... not good.

He's shown far more as a defender than he ever did as a forward, in my humble opinion.

He looks really good as a defender because he goes at it with reckless abandonment. Going toe-to-toe with the leagues best forwards for a year is a much better education to be a better forward than being an active 'forward' for North this year.

Chom will get some tradecraft from a little bit of everyone this year, coupled with his own development will only make him better.
The brutality of the way he plays isn't going anywhere.

Really like what he is turning into this season.

Just stop the nonsense, move him to CHF, I've had enough of this rot.
Enough is enough, play Pink as the CHB or no one.
This is our best option to see us best prepared to be competitive. Or dare i suggest, win a game.
We have tried CCJ, Pink, Greenwood and no one at CHF. All failed and in this order. CCJ, Greenwood, No One and Pink.

Seriously, this is ******* with my head. It is like we don't want to win.
lol, Charlie's intercept marking is the one reason we haven't been done by over 100 points in a few games.
move him forward to get frost bite? and completely destroy the little confidence some of the young playing list has.

Set and forget, address the midfielders(major issue), small forwards, go for a second key forward during trade week.

lol, Charlie is the one reason we haven't been done by over 100 points in a few games.
move him forward to get frost bite?

Set and forget, address the midfielders(major issue), small forwards, go for a second key forward during trade week.
The midfield will be fine; Smillie, LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw & Powell. Then Sheezel & McKercher

Fwd line

??? Comben Curtis
Duursma Larkey Ford (Zurhaar if he stays)

Backs

Logue 193cm, Corr 195cm, K.Dawson 196cm, W. Dawson 201cm and of course Comben 199cm.

KPF - Larkey 198cm

The midfield will be fine; Smillie, LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw & Powell. Then Sheezel & McKercher

Fwd line

??? Comben Curtis

Backs

Logue 193cm, Corr 195cm, K.Dawson 196cm, W. Dawson 201cm and of course Comben 199cm.

KPF - Larkey 198cm
We can't bank on Smilie at this stage.
Corr is 30 and Logue is coming off a knee.

Larkey is one out but like everything with norths list build, it seems to be an after thought.
We desperately need structure, for the life of me I couldn't understand why we didn't go hard for a Casboult type. He aint the answer long term but at least he give you structure for 24 months till we can figure it out and I don't know recruit a key forward in the draft.
Swapping Charlie out now is insane, its robbing Peter to pay Paul, when Paul doesn't exist.

Fwd line

??? Comben Curtis

Backs

KPF - Larkey 198cm

Don’t forget Henry, Scrimshaw, Battle….oh….

Don’t forget Henry, Scrimshaw, Battle….oh….

Yes good call, well we are pretty good at getting other clubs players a pay rise. Out of all of them over the years, how many actually went elsewhere.
I'd suggest not many lol.

Player Manager - right it's contract time.
Player - ok
Player - what's the plan.
PM - same as last time
Player - ring Brady?
PM/player - (high five)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back