Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough too when you’ve broken every bone in your body. Twice.
Samuel L Jackson Villain GIF by Glass

I was skeptical of the move to backline, but I've seen enough to suggest he will be a pillar down there for ten plus years.

Lock him in and build the defense around him.
In a season of absolute dross he has been a shining light.

Comben / Dawson / Logue.

Assuming we are injury free it's actually a line we don't have to worry about for the next 5 years.

Personally, I haven't seen great defensive craft. I am not sure he will ever be in the top echelon for game smarts forward or back and this is why there is no reason to peg him a forward or Blackman right now. He is pure instinct and will taker a fair amount of training to get him up to speed on defending leads.

I still see him playing forward next year once the law firm Dawson, Dawson and Logue get up an running in 2025.

Personally, I haven't seen great defensive craft. I am not sure he will ever be in the top echelon for game smarts forward or back and this is why there is no reason to peg him a forward or Blackman right now. He is pure instinct and will taker a fair amount of training to get him up to speed on defending leads.

I still see him playing forward next year once the law firm Dawson, Dawson and Logue get up an running in 2025.
Craft?

Craft?

He's smashing packs, taking intercept marks and booting the ball as far away as possible, like an old fashioned backman does. He's not doing macrame or making things from ice cream sticks....

Craft?

Harry Connick Jnr dislikes this.

I think everyone is forgetting that one of the main reasons he is playing down back is because of his consistent injury history so the coaching team wanted to try something different and put him in a position where the ball is infront of him. Kind of like McCartin (for different injury reasons ofc) but for everybody including commentators screaming for him to be swung to our needs at CHF need to realise there’s a reason he’s playing down back.

One of a handful players that have improved noticeably this year.

I get Darcy Moore vibes as a player - let's hope he can be as good.

Shown real leadership too.

The type of player the younger guys will follow.

One of a handful players that have improved noticeably this year.

I get Darcy Moore vibes as a player - let's hope he can be as good.

Shown real leadership too.

The type of player the younger guys will follow.
That’s who clarko took him to watch and learn from in the finals series last year. I will now assume you are Clarko whenever I see you post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In an ideal world, this would be my back 7

B: Bergman Logue Comben
HB:Goater Corr Fisher

INT: Archer

Means Mckercher and Sheezel can go higher up the ground, Mcdonald out of the team, Pink and KDawson as depth/delisted, and WDawson comes into the team for Corr in the not too distant future.

With this line up, it allows Comben to be an intercept marking beast we need.

Bergman is 189cm. Once he fills out he can play onpposition 3rd forwards (Fogarty, Elliott, Hayward etc).

Fisher and Goater the distributors. Archer the lock down small defender.

Sheezel can go back there in a break glass in case of emergency type scenario.

Means Mckercher and Sheezel can go higher up the ground, Mcdonald out of the team, Pink and KDawson as depth/delisted, and WDawson comes into the team for Corr in the not too distant future.

Bergman is 189cm. Once he fills out he can play onpposition 3rd forwards (Fogarty, Elliott, Hayward etc).

Dawson over Corr and I like it.

Nice one agree, though I rate K Dawson bit higher, he is developing nicely and can play on quite a few different forward types.

I'd be tempted to replace fisher with KDawson.

I was skeptical of the move to backline, but I've seen enough to suggest he will be a pillar down there for ten plus years.

Lock him in and build the defense around him.

Agree. I do wonder though, with his determined approach to succeed and make up for lost time through injury, whether he would have been equally as impressive if he were played up forward and given time to settle into his role and build synergy with Larkey.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back