Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Height: 183cm
Weight: 74kg
DOB: 22/06/91
Recruited from: Rowville
Bio: Smart inside midfielder with terrific contested ball winning ability. Vision, awareness and clean hands in traffic a feature. Clean foot skills off both sides an impressive asset. Vic Country U18 representative in 2009. Outstanding in endurance with 15.1 beep test at Draft Camp and a 10.03secs for 3km both in the top 5 per cent. Averaged 22 disposals for the Stingrays including eight contested. Finished third in Stingrays B&F.

5u05zl.jpg

Thought I would kick off his Player Watch thread. I've managed to see a fair bit of him this year and am very excited to have Ryan at our club.

He's a real class midfielder that we have lacked in recent times. Once he gets his strength up he will be an important member of the midfield.

Some nice articles:

Key midfield prospect emerges from the shadows

Stingrays regional manager Darren Flanigan doesn't see a lot between his club's two star midfielders.

"They [Scully and Bastinac] played a lot of junior footy together in rep teams," Flanigan told afl.com.au.

"His skills are equal to if not better than Tom."

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/83181

“(Scott) just wants the players to be really competitive and clean, and the decision-making to be clean as well, and they’re my strengths, so hopefully I can fit in well,” he said.

“I’m just rapt that it’s happened. When my name got called out it was a huge relief.”

A relief too for Roos’ talent identification manager Bryce Lewis, who later revealed that he had his sights set on Bastinac from a long way out.

http://berwick-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/stingrays-draft-bag/

“I came home and there were bloody balloons on my car in North colours, it was great. Most of the family go for North Melbourne so they’re pretty excited,” the Narre Warren teen said.

Bastinac came within a whisker of packing his bags for Perth, with a keen West Coast recruiting team armed with picks 22 and 23.

Some highlights:

[youtube]w3ctcnktryc[/youtube]

[youtube]gKW2dKlrMS8[/youtube]

It's been mentioned and reported before that he won his second straight time trial but in yesterdays sunday herald sun there was a small article stating that his time was the fastest ever recorded on the 3.2km princess park circuit.

It seems like Bastinac is a bit of a freak and he's slashing seconds off his best every time he goes for a run.

which is good, having a big tank helps when you play in the middle, a lot of running required. If someone like Harris had that kind of tank he would have been a great player.

If he can still do these times after putting on 10ks of muscle then I will be very impressed and we will have a Rob Harvey type runner on our hands. Ryan is ticking all the boxes so far.

Anyone know what his time was and whose record he beat? I've heard people talk about how quick Judd runs Princess Park but have never actually heard a time other than ' under 11 minutes'.

That's interesting. He has shaved a fair bit off of his PB so I wonder if he could beat Scully now. Scully used to have his measure.

RangaInTeal said:
He will not get any slower, he will be made to run at this pace no matter how big he becomes! Should play next year as a tagger to learn the ropes!

I expect him to play this year and I doubt it will be as a tagger.

Anyone know what his time was and whose record he beat? I've heard people talk about how quick Judd runs Princess Park but have never actually heard a time other than ' under 11 minutes'.

Sub 10.30 I believe the article stated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bastinac is shaping up as one of the steals of the draft.

He has looked the goods so far, but we will have to wait until he plays a few senior games at least before we can make any calls like that.

budge11 said:
Picked at 18, can't really call him a steal.....

Picked at 21 when most people thought he would be much higher. Could definitely be a steal. Time will tell.

Who has seen him play?
I don't want to be negative but there is a lot more to the game than running.

I have seen him play a bit and there would be a lot of others because he had a couple of TV games this year for Vic Country and Dandenong.

He was a gun junior footballer. Extremely classy midfielder that has brilliant skills on both sides.

Who has seen him play?
I don't want to be negative but there is a lot more to the game than running.

Completely agree WA ROO, but he does look good. Co-captain I believe with Scully at Dandenong and had a very good junior career.

I have been to training a few times and Ryan, despite his slight frame has excelled in the contested drills. He appears hard to tackle and can find space very well, then hits his targets. He looks really good, best performed of the draftees to this point, but this means very little until the games begin. Then we will have a good indication of what we have on our hands.

He has looked the goods so far, but we will have to wait until he plays a few senior games at least before we can make any calls like that.

Some believe he should have gone in the first round so we might have got him a bit cheap. But I think he will do okay on the field, he has good skills on both sides and always knew how to find plenty of the ball himself so don't think he will have major issues. Outsiders you have to worry about, guys that can get the ball themselves are less of an issue.

He ran the 3km time trial at the draft camp in 10.03 and had 15.1 in the beep which puts him up there with Judd in terms of his running ability. Not sure he will have Judd's ball winning and disposal skills but I think we picked up a real gem.

Just not sure he has the body to go out there in 2010, but some guys who are a tad light have gone okay.

Just not sure he has the body to go out there in 2010, but some guys who are a tad light have gone okay.

Yeah, I don't think he will play a great deal of seniors in 2010, but his quality means that he might get a taste to keep him going, much like Sam Wright in 09. I like our recruiting the last two seasons. We picked up ready to go mids with our first picks and then highly skilled natural footballers that require physical development with or second picks. In another 2 years these 4 will be owning our midfield.

21 whatever, I'm just sick of seeing our draftees get pumped up like they're the next messiah. If he is a good as everyone on this board is saying, wouldn't other clubs have considered him higher up in the draft?

If he is blowing away everyone in the 3km time trials and tearing it up in the training drills, I'd find it hard to believe if he wasnt awarded with a game in the first three rounds of the season proper for all his hard work. I'm also looking forward to watching the Cunnington VS Bastinac battle over their career, I honestly dont remember being this exciting about any of our drafts.

21 whatever, I'm just sick of seeing our draftees get pumped up like they're the next messiah. If he is a good as everyone on this board is saying, wouldn't other clubs have considered him higher up in the draft?

Ziebell, Selwood and Rich say hello.

But on a serious note Melbourne and Port had a fair chunk of the first round picks so if he wasn't on their radar he would get pushed a lot higher up. I think it was West Coast and us that were after him with our second round picks.

He most definitely would have been considered by the clubs that had picks 10-21. Sometimes highly rated players slide down the draft order for whatever reason. This is not rare. I thought he would be long gone.

Bastinac has been dominating all the preseason running and also looks a million bucks in the footy drills by all reports. It is exciting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back