Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

The boy is an elite AFL player... he has been selected and plays at AFL level! He might not be elite at AFL level, but just making it in two different teams deserves respect, in my view.

I cannot believe we are still dissing this 23yro... or a pick from 5 years ago! It really is time to get a grip, and get a life!

The boy is an elite AFL player... he has been selected and plays at AFL level! He might not be elite at AFL level, but just making it in two different teams deserves respect, in my view.

I cannot believe we are still dissing this 23yro... or a pick from 5 years ago! It really is time to get a grip, and get a life!
We may appear to be dissing him, but really, the dissing is for the selection. We don’t get that many top 10 picks. It is depressing to waste it on …

We may appear to be dissing him, but really, the dissing is for the selection. We don’t get that many top 10 picks. It is depressing to waste it on …
Win some, lose some. Either side of that 2019 draft we got McInerney, Blakey, and Rowbottom in 2018, and McDonald, Campbell, and Gulden in 2020 which more than makes up for the bad pick of Stephens (although 2019 wasn't complete write-off since we got Chad Warner that year). But yeah, lot of handy players that went after Stephens in that draft, but not to be.

He still has all the tools to be a great player as well.

Look at his qualifying final against Melbourne, serious gut running and skills.

I think it's a combination of two things

• His lost confidence in himself (happens to all different types of sportsmen/women and is incredibly hard to come back from).
  • His been played out of position due to his athletic traits, growing up he was an inside mid who could offer a link/ break away. His been predominantly played as a winger and it might not suit him as he gets lost out there. In juniors he was see ball get ball.

Fully agree we need to lay off the kid, the mentality required in competitor sports (especially at the highest level) is rediculous, his made it this far and top 5 pick or not should be commended.

I can't remember what it is, but there is some crazy figure out there that says on average, only 4 of every 10 top 10 picks will go on to play a 100 games... This is not unique to the Swans, it's just what happens when you pick 19yro boys with a view for the future.

That dude who used to be a moderator with RW and had a thing about being drunk and reading posts with fish puns told us... Can't for the life of me think of his name, but I'm thinking he was from WA (God only knows why I think this), and had a vault full of facts (???). So with all that creditable backing, it MUST be true!

:roflv1: :roflv1: :roflv1:

He still has all the tools to be a great player as well.

Look at his qualifying final against Melbourne, serious gut running and skills.

I think it's a combination of two things

• His lost confidence in himself (happens to all different types of sportsmen/women and is incredibly hard to come back from).
  • His been played out of position due to his athletic traits, growing up he was an inside mid who could offer a link/ break away. His been predominantly played as a winger and it might not suit him as he gets lost out there. In juniors he was see ball get ball.

Fully agree we need to lay off the kid, the mentality required in competitor sports (especially at the highest level) is rediculous, his made it this far and top 5 pick or not should be commended.
I know how he feels. As a junior I too was "see ball get ball", which is possibly why I lost my spot in the right back pocket. When I got a fingertip touch on the goal line to stop a certain goal I thought the team would get around me. They got around me alright, lots of swearing, jostling and the captain yelling "WTF were you even doing in our goal square?"

I know how he feels. As a junior I too was "see ball get ball", which is possibly why I lost my spot in the right back pocket. When I got a fingertip touch on the goal line to stop a certain goal I thought the team would get around me. They got around me alright, lots of swearing, jostling and the captain yelling "WTF were you even doing in our goal square?"
I was the same, which is why the cops were called when I walked out of Rebel Sports

Dropped for the weekend's game and played in the VFL and stats wise didn't set the world on fire there either. Looks like he will suit up against our VFL team this weekend.
Didn't take long. He'd be bloody happy he's locked in for a few years on what I assume is a half decent contract. Just can't see him going on after this one.

I’ll forever wonder what could have been.

Confidence means a lot - and I can’t help but think it took a massive hit in his tenure at the Swans.

Being dropped after solid performances time & time again surely must impact.

I feel a bit for Dylan - as I still believe he’s better than what he’s shown.

But I suppose what you show on the park is ultimately all that counts.

I’ll forever wonder what could have been.

Confidence means a lot - and I can’t help but think it took a massive hit in his tenure at the Swans.

Being dropped after solid performances time & time again surely must impact.

I feel a bit for Dylan - as I still believe he’s better than what he’s shown.

But I suppose what you show on the park is ultimately all that counts.

Yep I'm sort of a bit of that too, don't think it helped not playing in his natural position but whether he was tough enough inside who honestly knows. Least we got a free pick out of the basic delisting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are countless talented players that come into the system that never make it for a variety of reasons.

Conversely, there's a bunch of players taken late in the draft that come in and play well above their draft position.

There's only so much a coaching team can do for a player. The onus is in them to make the most of their opportunity.

Stephen's issue does seem more mental than anything else, but for whatever reason, he hasn't been able to take his opportunity when many around him have.

It's on him, he has to figure out how to take the opportunity. Coaches can only guide him. Otherwise, he'll be one of many who made it but couldn't quite hold onto the dream.

Took the big money deal at North which I can understand but he probably may have been better taking 2 years at a mid-table club like the Crows where he can get a game but still has some support around him. Gonna be a long few years struggling away, especially if out of favour with Clarko.

Took the big money deal at North which I can understand but he probably may have been better taking 2 years at a mid-table club like the Crows where he can get a game but still has some support around him. Gonna be a long few years struggling away, especially if out of favour with Clarko.
Hopefully for his sake one of the SA teams will be willing to take a punt on him in the next couple of years.

I personally resent the North forum's treatment of Dylan Stephens:

Dylan was one of ours for many years, and he doesn't deserve this kind of treatment.

It's a sad reflection on the North Melbourne football club supporters..

Dylan was one of ours for many years, and he doesn't deserve this kind of treatment.

Agreed. Having to play for North was punishment enough!!

Probably not the best place to go for some decent human interaction.

Easter time I ventured over to their game day thread to see how Big Toby Pink was being received in his second chance. Blues starting to open them up and one poster expresses hopes for Good Friday intervention and injury to Callum Coleman-Jones who I gathered was a bit of a whipping boy among their ferals.
Truly, within 5 minutes he'd snapped his achilles.

F****** horrendous.

Agreed. I've been checking in on the thread every now and again since he was traded there and was pretty disgusted with it.

Watching their hope turn to frustration was amusing at first but their treatment of him now makes me want to see Dylan succeed (and then hopefully leave for a better club)

It’s easy to be magnanimous about Dylan, since he’s not currently underperfoming in year 1 of a 4 year contract for our club, and our club hasn’t been absolutely s**t for 5 years, and has won a flag (and competed in grand finals) more recently than 1999.

If we were in their position, the average poster might not be so forgiving.

That said, even when North were decent, they’ve always had a much higher proportion of lunatic posters on here than normal. But I respect the lunatics. At least it’s an ethos.

Last edited:
I thought it was the right decision for Stephens to find a new club. I felt that Mcinerney, Campbell and Gulden were better precise attacking kickers. So he might not have got many opportunities. And there was also Mitchell and Corey Warner trying to get games as wingers.

North seem to have a toxic fanbase. They deliberately bottomed out. But got stuck there as perpetual losers. Then all their high draft picks gave their fans delusions that they will suddenly start dominating other sides and winning flags. Also their fans love a Cunnington style of player that thrives on physical contact. Which Stephens is not.

But a 4 year contract at a weaker team means he should have plenty of time to break back into the best 22. North will have injuries and need to rest their younger players. So his future is what he makes of it.

Also wonder whether he should explore different positional roles. It is probably easier to get lost on the wing in a bottom side because no-one is giving you the ball. And there is not much of a forward structure to kick to. I don't think Stephens was ever rated as a precise kicker of the ball. Maybe try to play like James Jordan, be a half forward flanker that supports the midfield at the contest. And then use his tank to surge forward. Might allow him to win ball and play instinctively. Rather than aimless running up and down the wing.

Last edited:
I thought it was the right decision for Stephens to find a new club. I felt that Mcinerney, Campbell and Gulden were better precise attacking kickers. So he might not have got many opportunities. And there was also Mitchell and Corey Warner trying to get games as wingers.

North seem to have a toxic fanbase. They deliberately bottomed out. But got stuck there as perpetual losers. Then all their high draft picks gave their fans delusions that they will suddenly start dominating other sides and winning flags. Also their fans love a Cunnington style of player that thrives on physical contact. Which Stephens is not.

But a 4 year contract at a weaker team means he should have plenty of time to break back into the best 22. North will have injuries and need to rest their younger players. So his future is what he makes of it.

Also wonder whether he should explore different positional roles. It is probably easier to get lost on the wing in a bottom side because no-one is giving you the ball. And there is not much of a forward structure to kick to. I don't think Stephens was ever rated as a precise kicker of the ball. Maybe try to play like James Jordan, be a half forward flanker that supports the midfield at the contest. And then use his tank to surge forward. Might allow him to win ball and play instinctively. Rather than aimless running up and down the wing.
I don’t think North deliberately bottomed out.

Instead, I don’t think they’ve ever recovered from the Carey / Stevens scandal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back