Senior 3. Brandan Parfitt (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Same. I read somewhere that he is from a good footy family up in Darwin, does anyone know a bit more about his footy bloodlines?
He's aboriginal so there's a start. Just don't tell a certain golfing enthusiast or he might start potting him with profanities.

He's aboriginal so there's a start. Just don't tell a certain golfing enthusiast or he might start potting him with profanities.

Can't disagree that there are a disproportionate number of great Aboriginal footballers compared to their population size. Not sure who the golfer you are referring to is though.

Ohh it is ...always better to win in a shinny and chivalrous manor ... but when the hounds are at your door , one worrys not a jot about the Marquess of Queensberry. Ideal is to win with honour , with class , with skill but id say winning without honour is better than losing with it. Does one want be the character that flourishes the sword or Indiana Jones who just pulls the gun. Sporting? History is written by the victors and history will say plenty of good stuff about a few Hawk players that probably only gives one a very filtered view.
Hell yeah. You don't care if a players dirty if he plays for your team. They're the players you end up loving the most.
Mitchell has been my fave non - cats player for a long time. I doubt many Hawks fans care how dirty he is. He wins flags.
I know I'm in the absolute minority on here but I used to love watching Crowley play. So entertaining.
Libba was one of my all time fave players. Love the blokes who'll do what it takes for the club.

Read first page, read last page, this board is damn bipolar!
I'm keen to see him in the NAB or whatever it's called before casting any judgement.
That's just people who know nothing about the draft commenting on the selection and because they haven't heard of someone they automatically classify them as a bust lmao.

As long as he's a good footballer that's all I care about.
Of course and by the looks of the vision I've seen from his highlights package there's every chance he may well be.

It takes more than just talent to make it at the elite level though so we'll see how he develops first before I start bouncing off the walls and smacking my lips.

Do you think he'll get a run in the 22 come R1?
If he does , it either says something about him , or something about others on our list pushing for a spot ... id say guys who have been around for 2-4 years should be sharpening their teeth for a big bite at it. Cunico and Parsons perhaps even Hayball should be closer to selection but that will probably get sorted in the NAB games , but come R1 , if Murdoch and GHS etc get passed by Parfitt... its good night and good luck for them.

Ohh it is ...always better to win in a shinny and chivalrous manor ... but when the hounds are at your door , one worrys not a jot about the Marquess of Queensberry. Ideal is to win with honour , with class , with skill but id say winning without honour is better than losing with it. Does one want be the character that flourishes the sword or Indiana Jones who just pulls the gun. Sporting? History is written by the victors and history will say plenty of good stuff about a few Hawk players that probably only gives one a very filtered view.

Couldn't disagree more with this sentiment, though in this arena I may well be in the minority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question. I haven't seen anything of him, so need to see how he shapes up in the pre-season. Be great if he could though, off the top of my head I don't think we've had too many first round draftees playing Round 1 the next year. Not in recent years anyway.
Cockatoo in 2015.

Couldn't disagree more with this sentiment, though in this arena I may well be in the minority.

Losing with honour ... id say that is classic oxymoronic ...

David , just to clarify your sentiment. You would never give away a deliberate free kick or a 50M ? You would never play the man , as in a run with mid? You would never utilise an opponents weakness ... to me its all about where the line is . Everyone has a line imo its just where is it for the individual.

Was Selwood in 2007 the last before him?
Whilst not being a 1st round selection, Gregson also debuted in the same game.

To answer your query, yes, I think Selwood was the last 1st round selection before Cockatoo to debut in round 1.

EDIT:

Cam Guthrie also debuted in round one of 2011 after being a 1st round pick in 2010.

Mitch Duncan debuted the previous year after being an early 2nd round pick the year before.

Last edited:

David , just to clarify your sentiment. You would never give away a deliberate free kick or a 50M ? You would never play the man , as in a run with mid? You would never utilise an opponents weakness ... to me its all about where the line is . Everyone has a line imo its just where is it for the individual.

The line for me is playing the man, using grubby tactics.......to me such ploys scream that the offender can't win on talent, so must resort to the gutter to get the upper hand

Oh if only there was some kind of easily memorised and oft-repeated mantra that indicated the clubs traditional stance on the matter - "We play the game as it should be played" or something along those lines.

True, sadly.

I might be talking complete rubbish here - but wasnt their a stage early on ( maybe 3rd or 4th year ) in Mark Thompsons tenure as coach of Geelong - where he was totally sick of Geelong losing - and after yet another Geelong loss he tore strips off Ben Graham ( who was captain ) who he thought was more interested in shaking the hand of every opposition player than actually winning the game - and actually gave an instruction that he didnt want any player shaking the opposition teams player hand after the game - he wanted them hating to lose

And he backed that up - not long afterwards - when Geelong had a bit of a memorable win on a Saturday night at the SCG against the Swans - i can see him and Barry Richardson striding accross the ground after the game - it was a bit of a break through win . And Thompson said in the press conference - im delighted we won - because this is the type of game that Geelong normally lose !!

Well like I said...we'll just have to disagree.

First....of course you can lose with honour....one example?....just watch Morales v Pacquiao 1...and tell me Pacquiao didn't lose with honor....I could nominate a pageful of losses with honour from a dozen different sports......

Actually, you can even have magnificence in defeat. There's no honor in that?

Second...I hardly think a deliberate free kick, or a 50 metre penalty is dishonourable.....play the man? Well I certainly wouldn't be a Steven Baker......would you? If I was instructed to do what he did,..... I wouldn't do it.

I guess there's the line you referred to in you're post. , Of course, many lines are crossed when sport becomes a business and maybe thats where you're coming from..

Generally speaking though, success without decency has a hollowness to it..and is often remembered as such, and as much as the victory itself.

Think there is a lot to optomistic with in this squad - maybe the best squad of younger players since early 2000's.

Really going up to good development and luck with injuries.

The line for me is playing the man, using grubby tactics.......to me such ploys scream that the offender can't win on talent, so must resort to the gutter to get the upper hand

Grubby tactics... plenty would say flooding is used to compensate for a lack of talent.Holding the man to prevent his speed running away from you. Tagging. 2 on 1 to stop a dominant forward. In fact most tactics are negative not positive. Delladova in NBA upset plenty because he didn't play to some sort of preconceived idea of respecting the talent.If someone cant win on talent is it your philosophy that they should just play out and lose? I think this go's against the normal human condition. Why have a game , we may as well have a Combine , who can jump the highest and run the quickest.

Well like I said...we'll just have to disagree.

First....of course you can lose with honour....one example?....just watch Morales v Pacquiao 1...and tell me Pacquiao didn't lose with honor....I could nominate a pageful of losses with honour from a dozen different sports......

Actually, you can even have magnificence in defeat. There's no honor in that?

Second...I hardly think a deliberate free kick, or a 50 metre penalty is dishonourable.....play the man? Well I certainly wouldn't be a Steven Baker......would you? If I was instructed to do what he did,..... I wouldn't do it.

I guess there's the line you referred to in you're post. , Of course, many lines are crossed when sport becomes a business and maybe thats where you're coming from..

Generally speaking though, success without decency has a hollowness to it..and is often remembered as such, and as much as the victory itself.

I have no idea idea on the boxing ref. but as you think a deliberate free kick is not dishonourable , would you agree that it blends of the line to your ideals of sportsmanship. Tag someone like Ling used to , hold prevent his skill helping his side ..honourable? Thats playing the man. To yap to , get in his ear. Plenty would say tagging crossing the line. There is plenty before the king hit..(which is too far for me).

Actually Im not talking about the business side of sport at all. As paying spectator , Id prefer and pay for the skill you speak of, it what I like to watch... but as a competitor I'm will not be confined by that to win , if it was the case id have always be on the losing side. Why should I play to others strength?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back