Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Some Brisbane flog doing that to our club legend to justify and consolidate his own long term future at the club. Only one of Brad and Boomer deserve a future beyond this season at NM. JB's strategy (he was involved) failed and instead of acknowledgment of this failure he speaks of overachieving and tries to leave some sort of perverse legacy by making a hard decision to turf a club legend. Why 3 wasn't enough or why someone else couldn't have been number 4 is simply because it's JB trying to leave a legacy and Brad trying to justify his position as coach. Both have failed, not Boomer.
Nail on head.

Brad has gone into protection mode and sees his only opportunity of saving his career as writing off his imminent failings as part of rebuilding.

I reckon he's lost the group, but I just can't see JB and the board admit they ****ed up in a major way by re-signing Brad to a longish extension.

It would take an absolute gobfull of humble pie to admit that mistake.

I'm going to force myself to wait a couple more days before I indulge my instincts and succumb to despair. At the moment my stoicism is hanging by a thread, because I still just can't get my head around this sad, sad course of events.

I reckon he's lost the group, but I just can't see JB and the board admit they stuffed up in a major way by re-signing Brad to a longish extension.

It would take an absolute gobfull of humble pie to admit that mistake.

If he has lost the group, the humble pie will be dished up whether they like it or not. Its the one thing in footy that will get a coach sacked 100% of the time.

My 2 boys (9 & 7) keep asking me y he won't be playing next year. I don't know what to tell them.
Its just sad.

No one in the footy world can make sense of this decision except for shit for brains and Wonder Woman.

The two of them need to leave so the club can try and repair the damage.

I will be greatful for JB saving this club, but for the good of it he needs to step aside and take his mate with him.

Kept pretty philosophical about this but rapidly changing mind. This is a royal balls up.

There is no free agent or short term signing available to us who would better Brent Harvey's ouput in 2017 let alone match his loyalty and intangibles.

Yep. It is possible that we will recruit some bloke or blokes, who never make it past Werribee Reserves, (not to mention a couple on the senior lost), yet retaining Boomer was apparently going to stop blokes getting opportunities and liable to be poached by another club.

Nah, surely they are taking the piss in delisting Boomer. Bloke had 26 and kicked 2. Top 5 on the ground.
They are taking the piss by letting Brad Scott continue to run this club into the ground.

Tonight wasn't a celebration of 4 champions leaving our club, it was a wake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't handle this. Never been so close to tears at a game of football. What an absolutely disgusting way to send boomer off. I won't forgive Brad Scott and the board for this utter ****ing incompetence.talk about a ****ing reset how about we start from the top and work our way down. Re contract boomer and **** Scott off up to Brisbane, I'm sure they could use him.

Now guys. How long have I bitched and moaned about Jame Brayshaws? I'd like to give that Turkey an Aggressive Reset of his face. This Pretentious Ponce wanted to condemn us to a 7 Home Game Deal on the Map. He has driven the constant contract extensions of our Dip Shit Coach. He hates pressing the flesh with the rank and file supporters. The Presidency for this idiot is all about giving him status within the Footy Community. He is more interested in practicing his putting than dealing with key political figures. He blocked a change in the constitution which would have given the members the power to decide if we were to play more than 4 home games interstate. This all starts with him. The Prentenous Ponce. The Fish Rots at the Head. Blame Scotts all you like. And you're right but shit Brayshaws and his Bhoys Club Board are as much to blame when it comes to Harvey not playing next season. :stern look

Nah, surely they are taking the piss in delisting Boomer. Bloke had 26 and kicked 2. Top 5 on the ground.

Reckon he goes around again elsewhere? Current form says he will have no issue. I know his old man pretty well, was my cricket coach for a few years. I met Boomer a few times, he is a really loyal guy, his family is the same. I cannot see him going to another club. Based purely on the fact he will wanna be known as a one club player and he honestly couldn't put another jumper on.

The last time I felt as emotional about North Melbourne as I have tonight was when all the Gold Coast relocation crap was unfolding. I realise that losing Boomer is not on the same scale as losing our club but it has still affected me nonetheless. I am not one to criticise the club, players or coach on Big Footy but I just can not accept the decision to not give Boomer another year. I have tried and tried to understand the reasons behind it but I'm sorry, I just can't. When I watch Boomer each week, I see a player who consistently plays well, gives his all, has pace, excellent skills and is a legend of the North Melbourne Football Club who bleeds royal blue and white blood.Why get rid of someone like that?

I will always be a member of the club but after this week's events, my love for the club and respect for the people who made this decision has certainly diminished. And like 'Poor little Harry' in the video that Gilbert Gardiner tweeted, I am also 'doing it tough'. :'(:'(:'(

Excellent summation of the situation GoNorth. Until this week I have never criticised the club either, but this week I have. I have felt a bit guilty about that, but after tonight's flat performance, I think we are in a fair bit of trouble. It was such a flat sad atmosphere.

Of the four Boomer was the only one who performed well. Spud was okay although Patton had a bit of a field day.

How could any of them get up for tonight's match after these events this week?

No-one will ever be able to convince me that they could not have put the telling of players futures off until the season is done. The club didn't have to lie, because list management decisions are always made after each club's final game for the year.

Last edited:
Reckon he goes around again elsewhere? Current form says he will have no issue. I know his old man pretty well, was my cricket coach for a few years. I met Boomer a few times, he is a really loyal guy, his family is the same. I cannot see him going to another club. Based purely on the fact he will wanna be known as a one club player and he honestly couldn't put another jumper on.

I think it will be very hard for him not to go around again with another club. He still has everything it takes, another year would see him over 450 games, which would be a wonderful milestone and; he won't cost any club big dollars because he has been playing for a modest amount already.

In any sport you are a long time retired and if an opportunity pops up I say he would be mad not to take it.

Last edited:
I think it will be very hard fr him not to go around again with another club. He still has everything it takes, another year would seem over 450 games, which would be a wonderful milestone and; he won't cost any club big dollars because he has been playing for a modest amount already.

In any sport you are a long time retired and if an opportunity pops up I say he would be mad not to take it.

I would have him at Essendon in a heart beat. He would be so good for our young forwards. Like Stevie J, a coach on field. I reckon 14 clubs in the AFL would take him. But I just don't see it him playing anywhere else. Happy to be proven wrong though!

450 would be an amazing milestone, that could be one of a few factors to come into his decision.

Bit of a changing of the guard for 2017:
2016 (most experienced players) - Harvey, Petrie, Firrito
2017 (most experienced players) - Wells, Swallow, Thomas

Assuming the club does not reverse their poor decision, as a neutral, I'd like to see him go to the Bulldogs. Keep him local.

I think it will be very hard fr him not to go around again with another club. He still has everything it takes, another year would seem over 450 games, which would be a wonderful milestone and; he won't cost any club big dollars because he has been playing for a modest amount already.

That's what makes this decision so maddening, because he should be doing that with the North Melbourne Football Club.

It's not only his on field presence, but the intangible off field benefits of his professionalism and experience which can all be passed onto the next generation whic make him worth a spot on the list.

He isn't exactly limping to the line, he is still in the top echelon of players in the comp.

It just doesn't make sense and is pure insanity. I want Brad to come out and give me one solid and believable reason why this is good for the club before I can accept this decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back