AFL Player #28: Xavier Duursma šŸ¹ - Torn quad at training and out for at least 4 weeks - 8/5

Archery or no archery?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This was a knock on him from Port fans before he left; that after suffering concussion he was softer at the contest than he had been previously.
Concussions do that - there should be some tolerance of it.

Jake Kelly is hard as a cats head but he was not the same player when he returned from concussion late last season.

I hated the bow and arrow when he was at Port, but jeez it got me up and about yesterday
I reckon it's more likely that the goal got you up and about, but because the archery happened so quickly after the goal your brain has tricked you into thinking it was the archery. Actually it was the goal. Don't let the associated dopamine hit confuse you. The archery is still wack.

Found this in the Port board's Duursma thread. A lot of them despise Kenny and this was tendered as evidence against him.

"Weā€™re really excited for him,ā€ Duursma Snr said on SEN Breakfast.

ā€œItā€™s a new leaf, I suppose, in his football story.

ā€œHe was just really unlucky with some injuries at Port Adelaide. Once he started to get those injuries and then trying to come back too early from them, you sort of take away his main weapon which is his running.

ā€œThen it probably wore him down a little bit and then he wasnā€™t enjoying it. Itā€™s pretty hard to play your best footy if youā€™re not enjoying it.

ā€œBut I think heā€™ll rediscover his love for the game. I think youā€™ll see a different young man out there next year, reinvigorated.ā€

Dermott Brereton added: ā€œHis upside, if he gets fit, is enormous for the Bombers.ā€

Concussions do that - there should be some tolerance of it.

Jake Kelly is hard as a cats head but he was not the same player when he returned from concussion late last season.
Duursma early in his career was often running with the flight Jono Brown style. Was taking big marks but eventually against Geelong one night he was carted off. We don't need him trying for those the risk far outweighs the benefit of taking the odd heroic mark. Just needs to be taught when to hold back from those things (probably already been done) and to protect himself in the contest. I really noticed his running power in the Sydney match.

Agreed about Kelly and with all the stuff coming out regarding CTE and the longer term effects who can blame guys for being apprehensive after being knocked out.

Duursma early in his career was often running with the flight Jono Brown style. Was taking big marks but eventually against Geelong one night he was carted off. We don't need him trying for those the risk far outweighs the benefit of taking the odd heroic mark. Just needs to be taught when to hold back from those things (probably already been done) and to protect himself in the contest. I really noticed his running power in the Sydney match.

Agreed about Kelly and with all the stuff coming out regarding CTE and the longer term effects who can blame guys for being apprehensive after being knocked out.
Reading this and agreeing with you about protecting yourself in the contest. Then reflecting on how Wright would have been better not protecting himself in the contest.
Must be incredibly difficult to train/consider/implement - especially in the split second.

Found this in the Port board's Duursma thread. A lot of them despise Kenny and this was tendered as evidence against him.

"Weā€™re really excited for him,ā€ Duursma Snr said on SEN Breakfast.

ā€œItā€™s a new leaf, I suppose, in his football story.

ā€œHe was just really unlucky with some injuries at Port Adelaide. Once he started to get those injuries and then trying to come back too early from them, you sort of take away his main weapon which is his running.

ā€œThen it probably wore him down a little bit and then he wasnā€™t enjoying it. Itā€™s pretty hard to play your best footy if youā€™re not enjoying it.

ā€œBut I think heā€™ll rediscover his love for the game. I think youā€™ll see a different young man out there next year, reinvigorated.ā€

Dermott Brereton added: ā€œHis upside, if he gets fit, is enormous for the Bombers.ā€
Like that we've bought in some two way gut running. Been a deficiency for a while, particularly end of last season where we really faded away. Hope he continues to find his feet and improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted this straight after the Wright thing....I reckon they will end up creating a ā€œright of wayā€ rule for the guy going at the footy.

In this CTE aware era it protects the Mark Harvey style maniacs from themselves and removes the insane onus on players to make split second decisions on how to attack a contest.

It also removes something we all love - the courage of those who go back with the flight - but I suspect the AFL will live with that if it helps mitigate concussion (and associated legal) risk.

Posted this straight after the Wright thing....I reckon they will end up creating a ā€œright of wayā€ rule for the guy going at the footy.

In this CTE aware era it protects the Mark Harvey style maniacs from themselves and removes the insane onus on players to make split second decisions on how to attack a contest.

It also removes something we all love - the courage of those who go back with the flight - but I suspect the AFL will live with that if it helps mitigate concussion (and associated legal) risk.
yes it seems a good chance.

but out of all the rule changes to make the game safer it would be the one with the biggest impact. it would totally change how the game is played.

football would become a lot more like AFL 9s. almost all marks would be taken on the lead. why ask for it long when you can take off at the ball carrier knowing no-one can drop in the hole? all you have to do is get in front of your defender.

the transition for existing players (and umpires) would be so difficult they would almost have to grow it up from under 10s, increasing it an age group each year across a generation.

but out of all the rule changes to make the game safer it would be the one with the biggest impact. it would totally change how the game is played.

football would become a lot more like AFL 9s. almost all marks would be taken on the lead. why ask for it long when you can take off at the ball carrier knowing no-one can drop in the hole? all you have to do is get in front of your defender.

the transition for existing players (and umpires) would be so difficult they would almost have to grow it up from under 10s, increasing it an age group each year across a generation.
I get the problem but it saddens me that it will see the nature of the game change so much. I'd rather players were asked to sign a waiver saying they are completely aware that they are playing the game at their own risk, but that the AFL will also umpire as best it can within its rules to mitigate that risk.

Yep

Xavier is step 1 in Dodoā€™s master plan to get the other Duursma boys and Yasmin which will lead to the final piece - Harley Reid.

Happy with X, good to see him finding his feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get the problem but it saddens me that it will see the nature of the game change so much. I'd rather players were asked to sign a waiver saying they are completely aware that they are playing the game at their own risk, but that the AFL will also umpire as best it can within its rules to mitigate that risk.
Could see the return of the 100 goal full forward?

Back