Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with Turner was that he never improved. And yeah he had 'mongrel' and was definitely committed but he just regularly struggled to have any sort of notable impact on games. Not being skillful or even a good decision maker with the ball in hand is one thing but also struggling to get in the space, run to the right areas, find the ball regularly is absolutely where he didn't improve over his career. Didn't impact games enough.

Best of luck to him, hope it works out for him after football. He's seemingly well regarded and probably connected within the industry so no surprises if he does end up in the coaching ranks as King Corey suggested.

Had a crack.

He was very good in those 2014 finals wins.

Can't think of any other games where I can say that. Amazing to get 10 years in the league based off a handful of decent games.

Must be a fantastic person and excellent trainer.

Has played 127 games.

Has kicked more than two goals twice.

Elite.
And so it will be forevermore with the tally finishing at 130.

A truly astonishing statistic for a permanent forward (aside from a very short period down back).

Had a crack.

Can't think of any other games where I can say that. Amazing to get 10 years in the league based off a handful of decent games.

Its quite astounding how he peaked as an 18 year old and just flatlined.

Had a crack.

One of the last relics of our previous competitive side, those prelims seem an eternity ago.

Had a go...literally the least you could expect.

When he came into the side in 2014 I genuinely thought we'd found someone who'd be a team leader and in the side for 10 years. I was right!

Problem was that the player he was in 2014 was as good as he ever got. Not sure how a player can be on a team list for 10 years and never get any better or find a role that suited his skill set.

Sadly it means that there is only one player on our list now who has played in a final for NMFC. (Probably because players could sit on our list for 10 years without getting better or find a role that suited their skill set)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a go...literally the least you could expect.

When he came into the side in 2014 I genuinely thought we'd found someone who'd be a team leader and in the side for 10 years. I was right!

Problem was that the player he was in 2014 was as good as he very got. Not sure how a player can be on a team list for 10 years and never get any better or find a role that suited his skill set.

Sadly it means that there is only one player on our list now who has played in a final for NMFC. (Probably because players could sit on out list for 10 years without getting better or find a role that suited their skill set)
Do you know the last time we had only one player on our list to have played a final with us?

Or even when was the last time we had none?

Interesting stat.

Do you know the last time we had only one player on our list to have played a final with us?

Or even when was the last time we had none?

Interesting stat.

We played no finals between 1958-1974. The last player from the 1958 Preliminary Final to finish was Laurie Dwyer. In Round 20 that year, Dwyer was the only player in the team who'd played a final for NMFC. It would be four years - the 1974 Qualifying Final before anyone would.

I actually do think keeping him on this year was a smart decision in hindsight. Gave a little bit of stability and continuity in the transition from Noble's clusterheck to Viney and Clarkson's rebuild, but now I guess we're ready to move into the next iteration.

Has set a very high standard as a fans ‘whipping boy’. Might be a while before anyone comes close to Kayne’s level. But in all seriousness I think he would probably thrive under Clarko if he was starting his career again. He like a few were simply at North at the wrong time. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Full credit to KT squeezing out a 100+ game, 10 year career despite his many, obvious deficiencies.

Says a bit about our club over the same period but fair play to him, he wasn't picking the team.

If every one of our more talented players demonstrate the same committment from here on that Kayne did over the journey, sky is the limit.

I actually do think keeping him on this year was a smart decision in hindsight. Gave a little bit of stability and continuity in the transition from Noble's cluster* to Viney and Clarkson's rebuild, but now I guess we're ready to move into the next iteration.
Realistically we had so many players to churn out many were going to get additional years.

He gave Laird a lot of s**t which is pretty funny to this day. That bone-crunching tackle was and still is a favourite. Selwood smother stands out too.

I thought he looked alright playing forward when he started and crunching mids playing half-back. But then, you gotta start working with the lad to add more strings to his bow. Even though some things are limited, extract the absolute best out of him. I don't think we did that at all. It got to a certain point, flat-lined, and that was it. Pretty much similar to all the later picks players we took.

They show promise, stagnate, and then get delisted. The North way.

End of an era, and not a particularly great one to look back on. Consistently presented in ripping condition so I strongly suspect the fact he never managed to elevate his game wasn't due to lack of effort. I thought he was unfairly criticized at times, he consistently had praiseworthy defensive efforts throughout his career, but his inability to get on the scoreboard as a forward was outright baffling the longer it went on.

Will probably be utterly hated by opposition players in the local leagues if that's where he heads. Good luck to him whatever he goes on to do next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back