Delisted #28: Alastair Lord - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Alastair Lord​

Key stats: Seven disposals, one mark

"'Lordy' had a quiet game in terms of possessions, but he showed good signs of being able to defend his opponent on the lead. He's got that pace that he can use to his advantage, and when he does that, he's quite difficult to play against. The next step for him is doing that more consistently and turning that defensive stuff into attack. He was quiet but we're seeing snippets of him improving every week, and hopefully in the second half of the season he can piece more of those snippets together to round out a nice game."

Alastair Lord​

Key stats: Seven disposals, two tackles

"When he was up on his man, he was really good and looked like a player. His defensive actions are something we'll continue to work on. When he gets the ball, he's quite a good decision-maker."

Looking much better in the last fortnight.

I can't say I've seen much defensive work but that's really a concern for next year. I'd like to seem him tick off a quality running game first. There hadn't been much of anything pre-bye.

There are definite signs of life. He's starting to get the ball and go. A few times he even broke through tackles against Sandi which was a real surprise.

I was starting to wonder whether this was a bit like Morgan, where the speed didn't transfer onto the park for whatever reason.

As I've said elsewhere it's much easier to see what we have when the VFL team isn't a complete debacle.

Alastair Lord

Key stats: 14 disposals, three marks, two tackles

“He found a bit more of the ball this week which was really pleasing, a bit of run and carry which set us up in attack quite a few times from half back. he used his speed and his agility really well. He’s still working on his defence, which was ok. He got caught out a couple of times and that’s a work in progress, but it’s good to see him impact with the ball in his hand.”

I like this kid and how he turned it around in the second half of the year. Looked really bogged down, held back almost but something clicked, coaching directive probably. With ball in hand he actually has wheels and his kicking wasn't as bad as many would think going at pace. Definitely something to work with.

Being the youngest on our list, he surely has a bit to develop with the tricks he possess'. I like, hope to see him develop further at VFL, and hopefully more at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this kid and how he turned it around in the second half of the year. Looked really bogged down, held back almost but something clicked, coaching directive probably. With ball in hand he actually has wheels and his kicking wasn't as bad as many would think going at pace. Definitely something to work with.

Being the youngest on our list, he surely has a bit to develop with the tricks he possess'. I like, hope to see him develop further at VFL, and hopefully more at AFL level.
As I said above, they told him to take the game on a lot more

Was better in the second half of the season but I still have one issue with him and that is he can be selective when it comes to his turn to go. Has good speed when he does use it but I have seen him hang back a few times when he should have attacked the footy and taken contact.

Was better in the second half of the season but I still have one issue with him and that is he can be selective when it comes to his turn to go. Has good speed when he does use it but I have seen him hang back a few times when he should have attacked the footy and taken contact.
He has a lot of team mates who play the same.

Can honestly say that ive seen Langford do the same over the recent years and is now considered best 22.

Do you think Lord has it in him to become a part of our best 22? Serious question, haven't watched a lot of him, but if that is the only issue you have with him, then I think we can fit him in.

Can honestly say that ive seen Langford do the same over the recent years and is now considered best 22.

Do you think Lord has it in him to become a part of our best 22? Serious question, haven't watched a lot of him, but if that is the only issue you have with him, then I think we can fit him in.
Have serious doubts. We can not fit in players who do not like body contact.

Anyone bullish on him for 2023?

staring samuel l jackson GIF

No.

He still seems a long way off IF he makes it.
Would be a good surprise if he is ready anytime during 2023.
In terms of where he started the year, he was a lot better than Rd 1.

To be fair, he didn't have a great deal of competition for this award

Remove this Banner Ad

Back