Player Watch #27 Gemma Houghton

Remove this Banner Ad

What happened?
She has spoken about it in interviews but they are all paywalled unfortunately - if you have a subscription you could pretty easily find it I think. Went through personal tragedy last year off-field. Sometimes when that happens you just want a fresh start, even if there isn't anything technically wrong with where you are.

She has spoken about it in interviews but they are all paywalled unfortunately - if you have a subscription you could pretty easily find it I think. Went through personal tragedy last year off-field. Sometimes when that happens you just want a fresh start, even if there isn't anything technically wrong with where you are.

Yeah sorry I forgot about her mentioning that. I tend to focus on the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheeeet!

The 28-year-old underwent a successful surgery on her ankle on Tuesday evening and is expected to be sidelined for six to seven weeks.

Sheeeet!

The 28-year-old underwent a successful surgery on her ankle on Tuesday evening and is expected to be sidelined for six to seven weeks.

Goals are already hard to come by, this ain't gonna help!

Actually devastating. Will be lucky to win anything this year. Hopefully we can find something in her replacement.

Far out, looks like our best player and the only one looking like scoring is out for a massive chunk of what's left of the season.

I probably naively thought this team would go alright but it's now looking like we will struggle to win a game.

Oh no. Yeah we aren't winning much this year. They'll need to just plonk Erin in the goal square and hope she can jag a couple each week.

She's clearly our most important player as such a quick goal scorer in this league is invaluable, but she's also frustrating, so much energy, skill and enthusiasm, but makes a LOT of little mistakes. Think the first 4 times she went near it last weekend she either fumbled or gave away frees.

I don’t think there’s many other tall forwards on our list so she’ll be very difficult to replace.

It’ll be interesting to see who’s next in line anyway? Sarah Goodwin, one of our high draft picks?

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s many other tall forwards on our list so she’ll be very difficult to replace.

It’ll be interesting to see who’s next in line anyway? Sarah Goodwin, one of our high draft picks?
Halfpenny has been on the edge for a while so you would expect that's the like for like replacement. Sue for Houghton really leaves us in an even bigger hole up forward.

I'd be pretty happy to see Halfpenny developed in that role but on current output we can't expect to replace Houghton with anybody on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back