Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
To my eye it looked very deliberate and as clear a thug act as you'll see. He takes his eyes off the ball, lines a bloke up, and makes high contact that leaves a guy needing facial surgery.

The flipside is the lingering doubt that Luke Parker just wouldn't do that. If Parker was frustrated, and we've seen him play frustrated footy before, then I feel it would show in something like a couple of overzealous tackles he'd be pinned high for, or maybe even suspended for. Taking someone out off the ball is less a frustrated action and more just... dumb and immature. An experienced leader who knows his circumstances as just about the next-man-in (keeping in mind he didn't know at the time that we were taking care of Carlton rather comfortably), is surely going to be better than dumb and immature.

So I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt as to his intent, but geez it looks horrible and he will deserve whatever he cops unfortunately.
yes, on face value based on the limited vision it was at best a crude act, and seemed unnecessary ... the ball was gone
as swans fans, and having watched parker over the years, we give him the benefit of the doubt but that's irrelevant
i'm keen to hear his explanation but that's also likely irrelevant ... i think he'll get four weeks, and that might be conservative

To my eye it looked very deliberate and as clear a thug act as you'll see. He takes his eyes off the ball, lines a bloke up, and makes high contact that leaves a guy needing facial surgery.
This is absurdly over the top.

He chose to bump, it went wrong, and he needs to face the consequences but calling it a "thug act" is nonsense.

This is absurdly over the top.

He chose to bump, it went wrong, and he needs to face the consequences but calling it a "thug act" is nonsense.
It was way off the ball. Parker stops, then moves again to bump him. It was a clear choice and it's been done with enough force to put a guy in hospital with facial injuries.

As I said, has all the makings of a thug act, only reason to give him the benefit of the doubt would be because "Luke Parker" and "thug act" just aren't used in the same sentence ever.

I'm with ashep and Ehswan . I don't think it's fair to call it a thug act. (Nor is it comparable to Peter Ladhams leaving the field of play to run through a much smaller player.) And there's no need to give Parker the benefit of the doubt "because he's Luke Parker". It seems clear he bumped intentionally. That is a completely legit part of the game. But I am prepared to assume he didn't intend to hit him high (evidenced from him not leaving the ground, and from bumping a player of similar height to himself) which is what has resulted in the terrible injuries. However, the upshot is that he did hit him high, so he wears the consequences.

[FWIW, I defended Callum Brown's clash with McCartin too, albeit comparing the incidents is possibly unfair to Brown because at least he was trying to contest the ball. In both cases they will get the sanction they deserve and no complaints.]

The other thing I would say is the test of character is not so much about what he did, but how he responds now. Probably we won't hear too much about it but hopefully Parker goes out of his way to make things right with the injured player (and possibly his family too).

Jon Ralph reports that it’s either 4 weeks or sent to straight to tribunal which could be a 5/6 week suspension.

Think 4 and we take it and run, wouldn’t be that surprised if they refer it though

clash of heads? Hard to tell from that video, but medical reports don't lie. Unless there is better footage, you probably take 4 weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

clash of heads? Hard to tell from that video, but medical reports don't lie. Unless there is better footage, you probably take 4 weeks

If you pause at the point of contact it cannot be anything else than the back of his head.

Always a risk when you choose to line a player up hope Parker at least covered his medical expenses.

The severity of the injuries and the fact Parker is a 283 gamer who should know better im thinking he will get 6-7.

Feel for Parker, if he just king hits a player behind the ball he would have got 3 weeks. A bump and it’s 4+.

Hopefully, Dane Rampe is defending him.

Last edited:
I really feel for Parker, not necessarily for this incident but just how his season is panning out in 2024. If for not his broken arm, he would be playing in a side that is on a roll, heading towards an excellent season. Instead, he has had to first cool his heals in the VFL followed by an extended stint on the sideline due to suspension. This would've been so far removed from what he would've expected.

The flipside is the lingering doubt that Luke Parker just wouldn't do that. If Parker was frustrated, and we've seen him play frustrated footy before, then I feel it would show in something like a couple of overzealous tackles he'd be pinned high for, or maybe even suspended for. Taking someone out off the ball is less a frustrated action and more just... dumb and immature. An experienced leader who knows his circumstances as just about the next-man-in (keeping in mind he didn't know at the time that we were taking care of Carlton rather comfortably), is surely going to be better than dumb and immature.

So I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt as to his intent, but geez it looks horrible and he will deserve whatever he cops unfortunately.
Hand in your Swans supporter badge, that is dead set disgrace of a post.

I really feel for Parker, not necessarily for this incident but just how his season is panning out in 2024. If for not his broken arm, he would be playing in a side that is on a roll, heading towards an excellent season. Instead, he has had to first cool his heals in the VFL followed by an extended stint on the sideline due to suspension. This would've been so far removed from what he would've expected.

I dont feel for Parker at all what about the guy who will have life altering injury and never be the same again who is probably on 1% on what Parker earns.

I dont feel for Parker at all what about the guy who will have life altering injury and never be the same again who is probably on 1% on what Parker earns.
I have no pity for him with regards to his act on the weekend - I think I quite clearly stated that. My sympathy is more towards how his season has played out. Call it a sliding doors moment but if he doesn't break his arm, he would be a part of a group currently on top of the AFL world, not in the doldrums he finds himself in.

For a champion of the club and a player who has literally bled red and white for such a long time, it would be a bitter pill to swallow on reflection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back