Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

There's two things for me.

1. Provided there are no injuries, does including Parker impact the structure of the team. For me, the answer is no, Parker can play 2 positions, and we have enough flexibility in the team to accommodate another inside mid.

2. If including Parker is detrimental to the structure of the team and a choice needs to be made going into finals. Who gets the spot Parker or Adams. Obviously form plays a part, but if I had to make a call, Parker gets the nod over Adams on every level. As an inside mid, as a forward, as the better player and as a player who has stayed loyal to the swans (irrespective of how well he's been paid).

I don't see #2 being an issue, firstly, because there are ways to accommodate Parker + Adams. But how s**t would it be if a call had to be made on the eve of the grand final? The player who misses out would pretty much be packing their bags for another club. There's no way that situation could be sugar coated.

My guess is that Parker will eventually come in for Roberts. In a big finals game, I would pick Parker over Roberts. And hope we had enough versatility in the team to cover Roberts role.

Lloyd would probably have to play more as a defender. Though from the half time footage of the Fremantle game, Lloyd seems still part of the defenders group.

Last edited:
My guess is that Parker will eventually come in for Roberts. In a big finals game, I would pick Parker over Roberts. And hope we had enough versatility in the team to cover Roberts role.

Lloyd would probably have to play more as a defender. Though from the half time footage of the Fremantle game, Lloyd seems still part of the defenders group.
Yup. Most likely. Possibly as soon as this week to get more strength against the Blues.

I reckon Mills may take Roberts spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back