Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end 🍷

Remove this Banner Ad

The story explained hooker went from chasing buddy to an All Australian and B&F winner. Didnt think it was too bad
Thanks. Buddy has blown a lot of players off the park over the years. Not sure why it is that when it comes to Hooker, its always brought up.

That moment should not define the player (and person) that he was/is.

Thanks. Buddy has blown a lot of players off the park over the years. Not sure why it is that when it comes to Hooker, its always brought up.

That moment should not define the player (and person) that he was/is.
Depends what you mean by burn. Hooker kept up with Franklin the entire distance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive just cracked a red wine and put “wind beneath my wings” on repeat. I plan to spend the next few hours watching Hooker’s highlights on youtube.

You know you've had a great career and impact on the game when you not only have hours of YouTube highlights but you make grown, heterosexual men cry and want to immaculately conceive your babies

I hope he genuinely does feel like he’s got a lot back. Because I think he’s one of those guys that has given far more.

The impression I get of him is that he truly understands and commits to the greater cause. The club tried to trade him. He never ever sooked up, or even bolted later when he had the chance. Because the club is the bigger cause than himself. It has a right to do what it thinks best.

Congratulations on a fantastic career, Cale. I won't take for granted how he stuck with the club through all the tough times - which as an Essendon fan, nearly outweighed the good times.

I know success isn't measured by finals and premierships, but I'm still disappointed the club wasn't able to provide more for him in this aspect. But I find solace in knowing we are successful yet again - and I believe we will be - he will be a large part of that.

I’m secretly hoping we get a fairytale ending where he cracks back into the side and plays in a winning final. Maybe even kicks the game winner?

“It just felt right to help the club rather than be a person to leave the club.

“The reason I’m going back to Essendon isn’t out of anger or to prove anyone wrong, it’s just to help the club become great again.

“And if I have kids, if they go to the club, they can be proud of the club.”

Lets get him a statue.

Absolutely busted his butt every time he went out there for us. Was frustrating at times, but you could never, ever question his heart, effort or integrity.

If we had a few more players give similar effort and heart, we wouldn't be winless in finals for the last 17 years.

Wouldn't have been against him getting another year, but maybe the time was right.

Thanks Cale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back