Player Watch #24: Ben Griffiths - retired effectively immediately

Will he play for the Tigers at AFL level again?

• Yes

Votes: 54 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 114 67.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with most of your post except the bolded part tbh

You disagree with me 19 times out of 20 ... and I'm fine with it ... as long as you disagree for the right reason. Some disagree simply due to who they are responding to and a petty gripe. You should be able to find common ground with anyone at least some of the time, but it's not in some people's interests to do that.

He was the ultimate tease.

We won't struggle to cover for him the kids we drafted will have as much influence on the game as he usually gave.

Unfortunately correct. He had all the attributes. Just wasn’t competitive enough for me

Not a high horse mate, and happy for peole to disagree. Its the hypocrisy of the principle.
You or anyone else cant turn around when I am critical of a player as I have been in the past and roll out the usual "your always negative", "you don't like Richmond", and"you should support our players not crucify them", when those making those accusations are laying the boots into Tay;or Hunt. That's what I was addressing. Does he not deserve support too?
I think the only rules on this board are don't bag Dusty, Rance or Cotchin or players under 21. The rest are fair game but if you go after a sacred cow the panties get knotted fast.

In a nutshell: The RFC shed itself of three oxygen thieves in Lennon TV and Griff all within just over a year . The decisions even if player assisted with Griff has basically come to the realisation that they were all not up to it and their careers all ended by 2017. Couldn’t be more happier with this outcome considering we just won a flag and looking at the youth in our list.
I’m moving forward with the club on this bc after this season I couldnt see how Griff was going to help us . The reality is he was going to stifle us by keeping Moore on the rookie list and interrupting the development of our younger talls drafted.

In a nutshell: The RFC shed itself of three oxygen thieves in Lennon TV and Griff all within just over a year . The decisions even if player assisted with Griff has basically come to the realisation that they were all not up to it and their careers all ended by 2017. Couldn’t be more happier with this outcome considering we just won a flag and looking at the youth in our list.
I’m moving forward with the club on this bc after this season I couldnt see how Griff was going to help us . The reality is he was going to stifle us by keeping Moore on the rookie list and interrupting the development of our younger talls drafted.
Spot on

Whilst I agree with most of that post TI, I think calling these ex players oxygen thieves is a poor choice of words.
It’s not like they are murderers or child molesters, who are exactly what you said.
All three were drafted by RFC for what they were as juniors and they didn’t make it for whatever reason. Like you, I think the club is better for their delisting but calling them what you did is over the top and poor imo. They’re just fellow decent citizens like you and I who weren’t able to deliver what we expected on the footy field

upload_2018-1-20_10-27-48.png

Whilst I agree with most of that post TI, I think calling these ex players oxygen thieves is a poor choice of words.
It’s not like they are murderers or child molesters, who are exactly what you said.
All three were drafted by RFC for what they were as juniors and they didn’t make it for whatever reason. Like you, I think the club is better for their delisting but calling them what you did is over the top and poor imo. They’re just fellow decent citizens like you and I who weren’t able to deliver what we expected on the footy field
I meant Oxygen thieves as footballers, but I can see your point.

100% Agree mate, Just 1 Oxygen Thief left on the list that really has made a career out of nothing but being injured and collecting $$$
Bloody Shaun Hampson

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaun Hampson is nearly 30 years old and only played 98 games - Biggest spud i have ever seen that has been in the AFL for 12 years and made a career through potential

Conca was fine in his first few years until injuries hit
Even though Hampson missed all of 2017 with injury, he has played more games than Conca in the same time frame

I meant Oxygen thieves as footballers, but I can see your point.
without calling them duds or oxygen thieves i can name but wont, 12 14 players who id hope we are actively looking for upgrades on.
Some have been servicable some even played in the premiership and a couple are rookies who need to show they have another level.

The thing with Shaun Hampson is that he has his best years the year his contract is about to finish, Been doing it all his career at Carlton and did it 2 years ago in his last year of his contract at Richmond also.

He will have a stellar year in 2018 and get a new 2 year deal

The thing with Shaun Hampson is that he has his best years the year his contract is about to finish, Been doing it all his career at Carlton and did it 2 years ago in his last year of his contract at Richmond also.

He will have a stellar year in 2018 and get a new 2 year deal

Stellar is beyond him.
He had an average year in 2016 which some fans and the club were seduced by ... but average is better than his usual plain woeful.
He reminds me of a lot of junior basketballers I see who have no passion for the game nor real skill, which begs the question: "Why do you play basketball?
'Well, I'm this tall .... what else am I going to do?'
An injury to Nankervis would seriously derail our push for back-to-back. Well, it would be over, so let's hope it doesn't eventuate.

Back