Player Watch #23: Kane Lambert - Retired effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do we need to elevate any player atm ?

Chances are none of Thomas,Arnot,Lambert will be required as there is already a que for starting 22 in rnd1

Let them go at it at VFL level for 5-6 games before deciding

Thomas has zero upside with an injury riddled pre season and most likely delisted at years end - what benefit in upgrading him
Lambert v Arnot i think

Why do we need to elevate any player atm ?

Chances are none of Thomas,Arnot,Lambert will be required as there is already a que for starting 22 in rnd1

Let them go at it at VFL level for 5-6 games before deciding

Thomas has zero upside with an injury riddled pre season and most likely delisted at years end - what benefit in upgrading him
Lambert v Arnot i think
Because we have a 39 player list we must upgrade a player before the season starts, so all clubs have 40 players to choose from, right from the get go. You cant 'bank' the selection.

If Lambert is selected and plays well in the other two pre-season matches he would be pushing hard for a round 1 spot. I can see Hardwick making him earn selection through the VFL though, which isn't a bad thing.

I am just happy we have picked up a quality player from the rookie draft. :thumbsu:
He hasn't already played enough VFL to warrant a R1 selection? He's been at it for 4 years already.

The only conceivable reason Thomas was elevated before Miles and is being spoke up by Dimma is that he has been promised two years of rookie elevation .
Pre season form over the last couple of years hasn't led to being picked early in the year .
Arnott , Ellis and Ehite were all good in the 2012 pre season . Arnott and White were almost no shows whilst from memory Ellis was played out of position round 1 before being dropped and then made sub for quite a while .
Likewise last year Miles was extremely good and from memory so was Elton at punt road yet Vickery who has always been poor pre season and Thomas got the nod .
Let's hope the club has learnt that pre season form does count before round 10 this year. .

Last edited:
I was walking the dog last night thinking about the game. I then had a piercing pain in my chest and fell to the floor and all went dark. As I was swollowed up by the darkness, my last thought was I dead ? Then a light appeared to chase the dark away and there before me was a old man holding a man child in his arms. The old man looked at me with kindly eyes and said "Knowth Tiger71 though shall appreciate and love my man child Lambert. Lambeth if ye believth in him shall hold say in Hardwicks hart and preventh him from elevating old men on thy senior lists. Humble thyself at the feet of Lambeth and praise him, thus you shall earn a place in my kingdom"

I then opened my eyes and noticed i was laying down on the footpath with my dog sniffing my safety place. I got up and rushed to the computer and low and behold I see this thread.

Im in :)

I think McBean is already on the senior list.

Your choices are
Rookie Players List
Rookie Players
Games Goals
No Player Name Ht Wt DoB Debut Recruited From 2014 Career 2014 Career
19 Matt Thomas 186 87 27.02.87 Rd 14,2006 Old Melburnians/Sandringham U18 13 100 4 34
44 Matt Arnot 180 86 21.10.93 Rd 14,2013 Vermont (Vic)/Oakleigh U18 4 8 3 4
45 Jayden Short 177 72 24.01.96 - 0 - 0
46 Jason Castagna 181 78 12.07.96 - 0 - 0
47 Ivan Soldo 204 103 14.04.96 - 0 - 0
48 Kane Lambert 178 75 26.11.91 - 0 - 0

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its amusing all these Thomas haters... With all hes got he actually did very very well last year for a rookie elevation! Most Rookies would be happy to play a game let alone 10 or so, forgetting he averaged over 20 and is a clearance machine (yes hes slow and awkward, hence him not being on a list and AA)..

Miles is just pure luck and was a massive bonus, hes been a ball magnet since he started playing the game and after GWS no one was prepared to give him a chance, i dont doubt for a second he has improved a heap under Choco and the fact he was made to wait to be elevated, and from his body shape now i think he will improve again... Massive bonus for us a player with is pedigree was off everyones radar!

I would love Lambert to be all things Miles but i think your underselling Miles quality even as a junior, he was a gun, we are just so lucky for him to fall into our pockets!

For me its either Lambert or Thomas to be elevated, if after 4 years playing VFL Arnott can show a consistent dominant performance in VFL (ie miles...) then we could elevate round 11 or delist at end of year!

I'd love to see biscuit getting more games, but it looks like Stevie Morris is taking his spot in the forward line.

Between Lambert and Thomas, I think Lambert has more potential for development, but that doesn't mean he should be elevated this year. Thomas has good figures for the opportunities he's had, and has a more mature, if somewhat slower looking body. However, as new and exciting always beats tried and true in this world, it's gotta be:
LAMBERT

On a serious note, there is seriously something to like with 46 Jason Castagna , He was not intimidated on the weekend and was quite creative. IMO his disposal was not to bad, from what i saw.

Agree but looks small?

Can we demote Hampson to the rookie list? ;)

Hopefully Arnott will click this year with Lambert also putting pressure on players for spot in the midfield. Where was McIntosh?

George was very bold indeed and has a but of pace but needs to have poise and tighten up on his skills. Future rebounder for sure I wreckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back