#23 - Charlie Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough despite the AFL draft profile on Charlie (and the AFC rookie article) listing him as 183cm, the WAFL 2013 draft profiles list him as 178cm which seems a little closer to what I was expecting. Either way, perfect heigh for a crumbing forward.

Not sure if he has grown (didnt seem to have when i saw him this year) but he was closer to 178cm last season when he played with us, either way despite being 60-65 kilos when he played in my side he was incredibly strong consistently bring down bigger opponents, once he went into a bump with an opponent that weighed roughly 100kgs and flattened him. In body on body contests at training a player of ours of over 90kg couldnt move him. He also has a wicked sidestep

What's interesting is that despite Battersby's strong SANFL performances this year, the Crows still rated Charlie Cameron ahead of him. Of course the Crows might have sussed the market and determined that Battersby would still be there at 24 anyway, but it shows they must really rate Cameron for what he can add to our side.
Watched the WA v WA U18 game and he looked very very good

Commentators kept saying he;s a chance to get drafted ....and I am saying to myself WTF !
It may have only been one game i saw but you tell he had something special ......i hear he's only played 30-40 games ?

IMO massive win for the club .......all the other selections MEH .....but really rate Cameron :thumbsu:

Will say now ...Charlie Cameron WILL BE upgraded .....will become a cult hero, and has some serious talent

A guy who after 30-40 games only can kick both feet so smoothly as he can, and carry himself with huge self confidence & a bit of arrogance, is IMO destined for a HUGE future as a Crow

Apart from Crouch ......our 2nd best pickup of the whole draft period

Interesting proposition ....IMO more happy now with Cameron than what Polec would have provided .....his selection has eased my pain over losing Polec as Cameron WILL BE the better player !!

I am loving this pick! He is exactly the type of player that clubs should be targeting in rookie draft. Has the pace, the X factor and good skills. I was hoping the club would pick this type of player on the rookie list to develop. A quick small forward with x factor and great defensive intensity. Just imagine Eddie Betts and Charlie Cameron in a couple of years time crumbing at the feet of Tex Walker and locking the ball inside 50 defensively!

Will say now ...Charlie Cameron WILL BE upgraded .....will become a cult hero, and has some serious talent

A guy who after 30-40 games only can kick both feet so smoothly as he can, and carry himself with huge self confidence & a bit of arrogance, is IMO destined for a HUGE future as a Crow

Apart from Crouch ......our 2nd best pickup of the whole draft period

Interesting proposition ....IMO more happy now with Cameron than what Polec would have provided .....his selection has eased my pain over losing Polec as Cameron WILL BE the better player !!

Someone's confident haha. Hope you're right however.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/20036631/list-lifelines-up-for-grabs/

"Swan Districts small forward Charlie Cameron is another WA youngster likely to be an early rookie pick.
Cameron was a regular in Swans' league side last season and was considered unlucky to be snubbed in the national draft.
"The two Camerons earned the right to play at WAFL league level and they were also pivotal to the success of the under-18 championships campaign," WAFL talent manager Raff Guadagnino said.
"Charlie has the explosive power and forward pressure to mix it with many AFL small forwards"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am loving this pick! He is exactly the type of player that clubs should be targeting in rookie draft. Has the pace, the X factor and good skills. I was hoping the club would pick this type of player on the rookie list to develop. A quick small forward with x factor and great defensive intensity. Just imagine Eddie Betts and Charlie Cameron in a couple of years time crumbing at the feet of Tex Walker and locking the ball inside 50 defensively!

Watching and reading about this guy...dare I say it...huge stiffy.

Watching and reading about this guy...dare I say it...huge stiffy.
I know there's some similarities in that they both tackle well and have a bit of acceleration but to say he's a "huge Stiffy" I think is a bit unfair. I know Johncock's conditioning over the off season was pretty ordinary but I'm not sure I'd have called him huge.

/See what I did there ;)

Definitely fills a need and he seems to have a bit of X factor, now to deliver. Happy with this selection

I like the potential to cause chaos and mayhem in a forward line, with Betts, Cameron and Petrenko.

Carnage.

The new 3 amigos ?????:rolleyes:

With the inclusion of Betts into our squad, would Pets still be played as that defensive forward?

Or would he try to pry and or learn a new trade in the reserves side?

Someone may need to assist me, but I dont think we have ever had speed and ordered chaos in our forward line.

It would be awesome to have for a change.

You have guys that can take big contested marks like Pods/Walker and crumbs for Betts/Pets/Cameron/Porps.

No wonder Nutter was shown the door.

Paige Cardona
ADELAIDE

Charlie Cameron
Club: Swan Districts
D.O.B: 5.7.1994
Height: 183cms
Weight: 72kgs
Position: Small Forward
Plays Like: Eddie Betts
The Crows took the opportunity to add one of the most dynamic small forwards of this years crop in Swan Districts, Charlie Cameron. The 19 year-old, is physical and unforgiving and really prides himself on his high work rate and defensive pressure and one percenters that otherwise don’t count on the stats sheet. Cameron is best described as bull-at-a-gate small forward, he pounces on anything that hits the deck and loves to set upon the ball carrier, wrapping him up in a hard tackle or doing enough to force the ball out of his possession to put his team into attack. What you get with Cameron is a player who really gives multiple efforts, yet makes the most of his opportunities when they arise. Cameron is quick, clean and can sink goals from the tightest of angles. Is defensive pressure goes hand-in-hand with his goal kicking as the hallmarks of his game

Im happy with this pick. Obviously now we have Betts he can mentor someone like Cameron in that role. Well worth the punt.
More like he can mentor Betts on how to play a hungry accountable type of football. I am a Swan Districts supporter and this kid is very impressive to watch and his hunger for the contest is infectious to the other players. Actually comes from a rugby background and it shows in his tackling and hardness but it is his mental attack that sets his above others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back