Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

He can do what he wants ffs , he farewelled the Swans that's enough if that's what he wants .
Also he didn't go the the Hawks 2 day reunion , it's his life.
Ok fantastic, you can respond "he can do what he wants" to anything if you just want to end a discussion. I'm not suggesting he be hogtied and dragged down from the GoCo.

Not sure what the retired players parade has to do with privacy more than any game or other media commitment.

The only difference is that he's not contracted to do this...
And he doesn't have to , the same as Goodsy will decide when he wants to do something .

l
And he doesn't have to , the same as Goodsy will decide when he wants to do something .

Are you the spokesman for the Franklin family?

Not that hard to sit in a car with your kids and do a lap of the MCG . Yeah he doesn't have too but people can be upset he isn't. At the very least people can discuss it. It wouldn't kill him to participate , yes he gave a lot to the game, but he also got a lot out of it .

I wish he would do it, I wish Goodes would too and also go to the hall of fame.

I get it's their call and i get they have reasons , but as a fan I want to see them at those things and don't think it is that selfish to want to see it. If it is fine call me selfish IDGAF

I half suspect there would be a few thou in the crowd who would boo him had he opted to be rolled around the G.

While outnumbered, those morons would be making it about themselves but it would risk negative story lines.

His 1000th celebration and farewell at the SCG were iconic events.

l

Are you the spokesman for the Franklin family?

Not that hard to sit in a car with your kids and do a lap of the MCG . Yeah he doesn't have too but people can be upset he isn't. At the very least people can discuss it. It wouldn't kill him to participate , yes he gave a lot to the game, but he also got a lot out of it .

I wish he would do it, I wish Goodes would too and also go to the hall of fame.

I get it's their call and i get they have reasons , but as a fan I want to see them at those things and don't think it is that selfish to want to see it. If it is fine call me selfish IDGAF
It's just the carry on by some like he owes them
Yes i'd like to see him , but it doesn't stress me
Maybe you can go around as the reigning BF MONACH

I half suspect there would be a few thou in the crowd who would boo him had he opted to be rolled around the G.

While outnumbered, those morons would be making it about themselves but it would risk negative story lines.

His 1000th celebration and farewell at the SCG were iconic events.
So flush them out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will never know his reasoning - whether it be privacy or something else, but in the end it's his right to decide.
It could be because Collingwood is one of the participants & the majority of supporters are trash.
Can't blame him for that actually.

Maybe it's related to Collingwood being in the GF and the Goodes racism thing. Or maybe he thinks there's a chance he may be booed.

Why would you risk that potentially happening to you? Even if it's a very small risk, how s**t would that feel.

Perhaps he doesn't think much of the motorcade. Maybe he's always thought it was a stupid tradition and just doesn't want to spend the time turning up to the MCG at a certain time, waiting around, all that stuff that comes with it.

I dont blame him for not wanting to do it.

He was still being paid by the club, I suspect they pulled rank to get him to the scg farewell.

In saying that, he owes the game nothing and we'll within his rights to not attend. I do believe he will regret it in the years ahead when he reflects. One last goodbye to the game would have been a special send off.

Oh well it is what it is

With Horse as well
What does that mean ? Franklin was near past his best in the GF last year with ** all supply in the game by a midfield that were weak as piss. Like most on here who don't have the ***ing brains to say anything constructive and just revert to continual sniping. You really think Longmire could do anything with a side that s**t the bed like we did and that onslaught by Geelong ? Thought you knew footy a bit better than that tbh. And falling into mugs here who would know 2/5ths of * all about the game and only talk here because no other Rex Hunt would bother talking to them.

What does that mean ? Franklin was near past his best in the GF last year with ** all supply in the game by a midfield that were weak as piss. Like most on here who don't have the ***ing brains to say anything constructive and just revert to continual sniping. You really think Longmire could do anything with a side that s**t the bed like we did and that onslaught by Geelong ? Thought you knew footy a bit better than that tbh. And falling into mugs here who would know 2/5ths of * all about the game and only talk here because no other Rex Hunt would bother talking to them.
It was mainly in jest , my issue is that he played Reid ! and I'm a reid fan

I'll preface this by saying he's been by far my favourite player to watch over the past decade and by all accounts is a ripper bloke.

He plied his trade for the better part of 20 years in front of 30, 40, 50 thousand people every week and put on the greatest show any of us have ever seen. The "he's shy" reasoning doesn't hold much water for me.

Keeps his private life under wraps? Absolutely. May not be comfortable grabbing the mike in front of the crowd but sitting in the back of a ute as one of many to do a lap doesn't seem too much to ask. Other players do it every year and they'd feel just as emotional about their own retirement as Buddy.

It's far from the crime of the century but I reckon it's pretty sad.

I was at the MCG in May when 20, 30, 40 thousand Collingwood fans booed him. Why would he subject himself to them again?

You can appear angry at times. I wish i was 3/5 smarter than I am to understand why you go on like this.

Back