Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

I come in peace.

Was not happy at the time when we let him go, and continued to not be happy seeing him play such a key role in your success.

Can't help but feel what he could have been if his body held up at 100% through his peak, but a fine career indeed.

Congrats Cads and best of luck in your next phase of life. Truly underrated, but never forgotten.

Loved the campaigner in caddy but speed was his downfall and soft tissue injuries in the end

Made good $$$
and got 2 premiership medals along the journey

Always be a Richmond man

harsh but probably fair assessment, my spin slightly more generous

it is what it is

loved caddy too, not many have the complete package so he deserved his top dollar and probably pushed his body too hard to try and get that extra yard in the end.

im so happy he ended up a tiger and if he was was as quick as george and bulletproof and resilient as brando ellis with injury was, he is then a 800k/million dollar player and geelong would never have let him go probably.

I'll never forget the first goal kicked in the 2017 Grand Final. Up until then, Adelaide was piling on the pressure and Sloine had kicked a early goal. Jack was spraying them and, as the cynical, tortured supporter that I was, I just felt like it was inevitable that Adelaide with just overwhelm us and they'd kick half a dozen before we even kicked our first.

But then Caddy calmly slotted our first from around the corner.

It was like the damn broke and the pressure was released. I really do believe that it was Caddy's confidence and early assurance to his teammates that freed us up that game. We were fighting, pressuring in an arm wrestle but not seeing the rewards. Caddy stood out as the one man who waved the flag early and showed the rest of the team and us in the stands, that we could do it.

Imagine a forwardline in 2017 & 18 without him. He really was a tough matchup because he was strong overhead but good at ground level. He was tough and broke tackles. He was assured and a good decision maker. He set goal up and was a good set shot. He was too strong for small defenders and too goodin packs for tall defenders. He brought the ball to ground when he couldn't mark it and he worked well with Jack.

Lynch's arrival was really the death of his carrer because he just didn't have the speed to play anywhere else. I, for one, thank him for his contribution to the club on the field and off.

Good luck after footy Cads. You'll always be a two time flag hero but, more importantly, part of something that will live on forever in history - the Tiger Dynasty. You made a lot of people happy in a tough time.

Thanks for the memories and 2 flags cads you played some good footy for us at times especially that year you should of been all Australian

Loved watching you play you were the real mongrel we needed during those flag years

Like a true Richmond man like grigga you’ve hanged them up to give another person a chance to live their dream

Enjoy retirement mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One day Cotchin or Martin will write a book and hopefully tell us about Caddy and what he did for the team. Is Caddy to best trash talker in AFL history? I think so. He came from a successful club and had a strut to him.
I think not just his playing ability, but his attitude was an important ingredient to changing our fortunes.
Best of luck for the future Cads. I am sad we could not farewell you at the G.

2 flags and a great highlights reel to show off to the kids/grand kids.

I loved his attitude and mongrel he brought to a well rounded game. Dimma played him up forward, in the guts and on the wing and he did better than most in all 3 possies.

A great career and Caddy deserves plenty of kudos by retiring early and letting us get a mid season draft pick. That takes a lot of humility and respect for your team mates.

Has signed with Greensborough starting this weekend.

I guess he's not going to hang around to mentor the vfl guys as he said he would :think:

Think Lloyd and Townsend planing at Greensy as well or Bundoora
Either way few ex tigers running around the northern footy league

Great player, always was accountable and hurt teams with his finishing. unlucky he didnt fit the system later on but I always thought he shouldve been best 22. At least he got premierships which most players don't see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back