2024 VFL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Shoosh you will get accused of posting fabricated information from somebody who thinks recruiting several ex AFL players and club leading players from rival clubs is pathetic. Hate to think the words he would use to describe those who dont have the $$$ to recruit as strong quality.
Should never have got rid of Ayers

The Midweek Tackle on Fox Footy is reporting that Adelaide and Port Adelaide are preparing to exit the SANFL and are pushing to enter the VFL next year.

The odds of the West Coast Eagles remaining in the WAFL may have lengthened a bit based on that news.

This would trigger a national reserves competition as early as next year.

Should never have got rid of Ayers

Ild love to know exactly what happened there but i guess only a few will know the full story.

Hard to argue he wouldnt have done a better job with last two seasons lists and gotten more wins (many strongly believe we would have made finals under Ayres) especially when he had a vfl losing match percentage of only 33% compared to 78%.

Instead of listening to the fans who disagreed with a reappointment of a coach who didnt fulfil his kpi of getting us finals (instead moved further away from that target) they thought it a bright idea to renew a coach who took the club backwards and are now left with red faces with the club celebrating its 150th year in its worse position since 1908. Definitely wouldn't have happened in years gone by when Port Melbourne demanded excellence and anybody who didnt deliver would have been wished well in their future endeavours.

Ild love to know exactly what happened there but i guess only a few will know the full story.

Hard to argue he wouldnt have done a better job with last two seasons lists and gotten more wins (many strongly believe we would have made finals under Ayres) especially when he had a vfl losing match percentage of only 33% compared to 78%.

Instead of listening to the fans who disagreed with a reappointment of a coach who didnt fulfil his kpi of getting us finals (instead moved further away from that target) they thought it a bright idea to renew a coach who took the club backwards and are now left with red faces with the club celebrating its 150th year in its worse position since 1908. Definitely wouldn't have happened in years gone by when Port Melbourne demanded excellence and anybody who didnt deliver would have been wished well in their future endeavours.
Gaz recruited big bodied players that could bash the bodies of AFL listed kids , anyhow a couple of idiots that got rid of him are gone

Who were those two and can we throw them off hook pier during winter as punishment?

The Midweek Tackle on Fox Footy is reporting that Adelaide and Port Adelaide are preparing to exit the SANFL and are pushing to enter the VFL next year.

The odds of the West Coast Eagles remaining in the WAFL may have lengthened a bit based on that news.

This would trigger a national reserves competition as early as next year.
Just a matter of time now.

AFL won't fund a new competition.
They begrudgingly do it now for the VFL only because of the number of AFL reserves teams in the competition.
All of that money will divert to the AFL reserves once that begins.
Will AFL list sizes increase?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New VFA would be good, bring in say Heidelburg, Noble Park, Balwyn, Keilor, Echuca, Albury, North Ballarat.

Correct Bedders, it's worth being ready if the AFL reserves leave for an AFL competition and our former VFA clubs are left in the lurch.

Below are two postings from ‘Time to fold the VFL’

It’s good reading and worth a visit, or a revisit.

In this proposal, standalone clubs can compete in their own league, including a promotion and relegation system for Victorian district and country clubs. The top two finishers of each league (if they choose) can participate in a playoff after the home and away season, which could last for about five or six weeks, starting after the VFLW is over.

The winner and runner-up, or more can then be promoted to the prestigious Victorian State Football Association/Alliance (VSFA).

This league could be structured like the English Premier League (EPL) where every club in the country has a chance to reach the top level. Promoted clubs will keep their reserves in their local competition and return there if relegated.

The VSFA could become the strongest state league in the country.’

Thank you AussieNick1999, MortlockWatcher, Random Observer, Eth-dog for your contribution to the VSFA/L proposition. It’s been good reading and well thought out.

Your thoughts are certainly not arguments against the formation of a VSFA/L, but honest and valid reasons why it ‘most probably’ wouldn’t be viable.

Everything put forward is realism.

Funding, TV coverage, the list is frightening.

My concern is that ‘if’ the AFL pulls the plug on the former VFA clubs, they will either be subsumed into local leagues or just evaporate.

So many of these clubs have such a rich history, viz Port, Willy, Coburg et al, and it would be devastating to have them crumble. Despite many of your very valid reasons as to why a VSFA/L competition, with an invitation for all clubs to aspire, wouldn’t be viable escapes me.

I’m certainly not suggesting starting such a competition before the AFL kicks our standalone clubs out. Hopefully, it won’t happen.

Be Prepared”

PS: In the 'Time to fold the VFL' forum, there is very good input from Forum members regarding a VSFA/L, well thought out, with valid reasons each way. Worth a re-read.

Thanks Bedders for stirring the pot (again). This forum needs you.

Whilst it won't happen, it would be awesome if somehow all leagues funnelled into a premier local competition with the best non-AFL clubs from across metro (maybe also country?) Vic

Would be a bit messy, but if a Williamstown was relegated they'd drop into WRLF, if Preston went down they'd go into NFNL

Again, I know this won't happen, but a man can dream

If the AFL truely cared about having a real state league competition in vic, then they would already have:

Kept the Development League
Proper funding
Not take over the NEAFL and make it a 20+ team competition that includes sides not based in Victoria
Real support for the stand alones especially those who are battling
Align it strongly with the Talent League
Actually have AFL Victoria continue to look after it, not the AFL

All of this little logic regarding decision making and commonsense makes you think if they actually did care they'd be realistic and sensible about it. Which they're not and never will be.

Nearly 3 decades of damage is perhaps too late to reverse.

The VFA was a rung below.

Whilst it won't happen, it would be awesome if somehow all leagues funnelled into a premier local competition with the best non-AFL clubs from across metro (maybe also country?) Vic

Would be a bit messy, but if a Williamstown was relegated they'd drop into WRLF, if Preston went down they'd go into NFNL

Again, I know this won't happen, but a man can dream

Imagine the turmoil for Victorian football if in the August of any given year, the AFL announces that the VFL is being replaced by an AFL reserves competition and all standalone clubs will be ejected as of the end of that season and need to find a new home to play in as the AFL isn't funding a brand new league.

Let's say that hypothetically AFLV says that the standalones must be accepted by the league that these clubs choose to enter. You could end up with the following:

Coburg to the EDFL or NFNL (probably as a pairing with Preston).
Frankston to the MPNFL.
Port Melbourne to the SFNL.
Preston to the NFNL or the EDFL.
Werribee to the GFL or the WRFL.
Williamstown to WRFL or EDFL.

I would assume that the Box Hill Hawks would morph into Hawthorn's twos and likewise Sandy with St Kilda.

That means as many as six leagues could be affected by such a move. These clubs would most likely end up in the top tier of those comps, resulting in forced relegations and other fixture nightmares.

A 2025 start for the AFLR is not pie in the sky, which would mean that if the SA and WA teams choose to join the VFL and trigger it becoming AFLR for next year, we could be seeing this scenario happen in a couple of months time.

I am not trying to s**t-stir or be an alarmist or a doomsayer here, I am just noting that this is a potential scenario that could happen and cause a tsunami of turmoil for metropolitan football over the next 12 months if it did come to fruition.

Last edited:
If the AFL truely cared about having a real state league competition in vic, then they would already have:

Kept the Development League
Proper funding
Not take over the NEAFL and make it a 20+ team competition that includes sides not based in Victoria
Real support for the stand alones especially those who are battling
Align it strongly with the Talent League
Actually have AFL Victoria continue to look after it, not the AFL

All of this little logic regarding decision making and commonsense makes you think if they actually did care they'd be realistic and sensible about it. Which they're not and never will be.

Nearly 3 decades of damage is perhaps too late to reverse.

The VFA was a rung below.
The development league was no good for local grass roots clubs

Imagine the turmoil for Victorian football if in the August of any given year, the AFL announces that the VFL is being replaced by an AFL reserves competition and all standalone clubs will be ejected as of the end of that season and need to find a new home to play in as the AFL isn't funding a brand new league.

Let's say that hypothetically AFLV says that the standalones must be accepted by the league that these clubs choose to enter. You could end up with the following:

Coburg to the EDFL or NFNL (probably as a pairing with Preston).
Frankston to the MPNFL.
Port Melbourne to the SFNL.
Preston to the NFNL or the EDFL.
Werribee to the GFL or the WRFL.
Williamstown to WRFL or EDFL.

I would assume that the Box Hill Hawks would morph into Hawthorn's twos and likewise Sandy with St Kilda.

That means as many as six leagues could be affected by such a move. These clubs would most likely end up in the top tier of those comps, resulting in forced relegations and other fixture nightmares.

A 2025 start for the AFLR is not pie in the sky, which would mean that if the SA and WA teams choose to join the VFL and trigger it becoming AFLR for next year, we could be seeing this scenario happen in a couple of months time.

I am not trying to s**t-stir or be an alarmist or a doomsayer here, I am just noting that this is a potential scenario that could happen and cause a tsunami of turmoil for metropolitan football over the next 12 months if it did come to fruition.
I reckon Port would follow Williamstown into the WRFL, same with Werribee

I reckon Port would follow Williamstown into the WRFL, same with Werribee
Even allowing for the loss of players aspiring to the AFL, and I'm a strong supporter of the WFNL, those sides would destroy WFNL teams for the immediate term at least.

Willy have $3m in the bank, Werribee probably more (not sure of Port).

No current WFNL club could compete with them on or off field.

Even allowing for the loss of players aspiring to the AFL, and I'm a strong supporter of the WFNL, those sides would destroy WFNL teams for the immediate term at least.

Willy have $3m in the bank, Werribee probably more (not sure of Port).

No current WFNL club could compete with them on or off field.
Have to remember too with those clubs they'll be starting from scratch if they're a local club.

The players will just go back to their local clubs. They only are at that club because its a state league club thats giving them oppurtunity. Most of those players live nowhere near those clubs and they won't be travelling just to play local footy when they can go elsewhere closer to home.

They'll have to find new people to get involved too while paid staff members will be looking for new jobs.

Yep, it won't be that easy for them to just roll in and dominate as they will lose most their players to either AFL ressies, or home club

As it is a team like Heidelberg would probably beat the Bullants or coburg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back