List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Steele's best, and Crouch's best are underrated but the problem is neither are dynamic and neither are massive clearance winners despite being pretty good, and neither are highly skilled again despite being pretty good.

That's what we miss, we don't have any power midfielders, they are all easy to tackle, we lack inside to outside players who can break away and take the ball from the inside to the outside with their legs and power through the stoppage. Jack Steven could do that and that's what elevated him.

Fair enough, but despite Wilson being a very good get, we already had one of him (B Hill).

Well I'd respectfully disagree. Wilson is 185 vs Hill 178. Wilson will be far bigger bodied and has a much more inside game than Hill. looks to be also pretty good overhead. Hill is not.

In fact, other than they both run, I would say there is not much in common.

Well I'd respectfully disagree. Wilson is 185 vs Hill 178. Wilson will be far bigger bodied and has a much more inside game than Hill. looks to be also pretty good overhead. Hill is not.

In fact, other than they both run, I would say there is not much in common.
They're both going to spend most of their careers outside - their running is too elite to do otherwise.

I love Darcy Wilson, but he's not going to be a Bont/Cripps type. Not at 185cm, when adding significant muscle mass may ruin his best asset.

Fair enough, but despite Wilson being a very good get, we already had one of him (B Hill). What we need is a large bodied, explodes from stoppage, get on my back we're winning today mid. We've needed it since Lenny Hayes stopped being at his peak. And we don't have it, and they're rare, and even if you bottom out for five years who still might not find them (ask Hawthorn).

We've been waiting in the queue for a while and it hasn't worked. Time for a different approach.
I think Wilson will be able to go on ball at some point. He is just such a good winger.

Bad disposal in tight from his junior career.
So far his disposal looks pretty decent and the 'big bodied midfiedlers' not always but tend to have lower level dipsosa; efficency by foot, ie Cripps, Oliver, Bont being the exception,I'd suggest Wilson's disposal is no worse then those guys.

Steele's best, and Crouch's best are underrated but the problem is neither are dynamic and neither are massive clearance winners despite being pretty good, and neither are highly skilled again despite being pretty good.

That's what we miss, we don't have any power midfielders, they are all easy to tackle, we lack inside to outside players who can break away and take the ball from the inside to the outside with their legs and power through the stoppage. Jack Steven could do that and that's what elevated him.

1+1=Owens

1+1=Owens

Owens has the power and ability to win a contest but he doesn't find the footy as a mid yet. He doesn't get to the right spots.

So we need to either give him lots of time in the middle and probably accept he will have a reduced impact on the game until he learns or we give him little stints in there like we currently are and hope he learns while still impacting as a forward.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I think if he wanted to be a full time mid then Ross would probably go with option A but since he apparently prefers to be mainly a forward that's why we are going option B

Unfortunately, hate to say it but the best result we might get out of this season is a top 3 pick.
Top 6 will do this year. But you do get the pick of them from a top 3 pick.

Owens has the power and ability to win a contest but he doesn't find the footy as a mid yet. He doesn't get to the right spots.

So we need to either give him lots of time in the middle and probably accept he will have a reduced impact on the game until he learns or we give him little stints in there like we currently are and hope he learns while still impacting as a forward.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I think if he wanted to be a full time mid then Ross would probably go with option A but since he apparently prefers to be mainly a forward that's why we are going option B

I vote option A

I'm not sure where him "apparently preferring to play forward" comes from, but really, I'm not sure how much influence that should have anyway. Besides, I'm sure he'll learn to enjoy tearing it up in the midfield.
Doubt he's loving his footy too much right now.

I vote option A

I'm not sure where him "apparently preferring to play forward" comes from, but really, I'm not sure how much influence that should have anyway. Besides, I'm sure he'll learn to enjoy tearing it up in the midfield.
Doubt he's loving his footy too much right now.

I forget too but I do remember hearing it at the time and I think it may have been Harvey when he was interviewed pre-game. He said Owens see's himself as a forward that spends time in the midfield not the other way around.

But last year Owens said himself he is happy to play anywhere.

One of the biggest things I read from that is Sinclair, 0 attendances in wins vs Collingwood and Richmond.

I've always said we are a better team when he is in the backline.

Alternatively, Hugo is a pure mid and didn't get a look in vs Hawthorn and North. Development opportunity missed in my opinion.

Hugo is was in for centre bounces against the Dogs early on & his direct opponent took the pill out with ease at least 3 times.

He’s just not ready.

Hawthorn is a young side with hard nosed & experienced mids.

Agree that we missed a trick v Norf (also wanted Collard in as it was a reasonably easy kill & Lancey would have feasted on loose balls while Max was accosted by Corr).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're both going to spend most of their careers outside - their running is too elite to do otherwise.

I love Darcy Wilson, but he's not going to be a Bont/Cripps type. Not at 185cm, when adding significant muscle mass may ruin his best asset.

I thought we wanted a Bont/Cripps type a couple of years ago, and i was almost a bit disappointed when we took Nas ahead of Hobbs. ( Essendon).

Those types can be problematic to find though though. A couple of years in, and no indication that Hobbs will be anything special as far as winning the contested ball.

We did the right thing, our talent scouts recognised Nas as an elite talent and we took him. Much better than taking a "non-elite " "need" based player.

I thought we wanted a Bont/Cripps type a couple of years ago, and i was almost a bit disappointed when we took Nas ahead of Hobbs. ( Essendon).

Those types can be problematic to find though though. A couple of years in, and no indication that Hobbs will be anything special as far as winning the contested ball.

We did the right thing, our talent scouts recognised Nas as an elite talent and we took him. Much better than taking a "non-elite " "need" based player.

Hobbs was looking pretty good at times last year. Parish and Merrett are their gun mids and he's kind of pushed out to rotations a bit now. Actually would be a good one to try to pick off.

Josh Ward is the other worth keeping an eye on. Hawks have heaps of depth in the middle and he'll struggle to break in. He's not much yet but still only 20 and his kicking was meant to be very good from memory.

Hobbs was looking pretty good at times last year. Parish and Merrett are their gun mids and he's kind of pushed out to rotations a bit now. Actually would be a good one to try to pick off.

Josh Ward is the other worth keeping an eye on. Hawks have heaps of depth in the middle and he'll struggle to break in. He's not much yet but still only 20 and his kicking was meant to be very good from memory.

Even when Gary Ablett Jr was playing as a forward you saw games where he won a lot of the contested ball.

Essendon are always on about needing a big bodied mid, surely he'd get time there if he's the man.
( I can be a big bodied mid, but i'd be crap at it ).

I thought that Ward would be more a Wilson type.

What role was Mitch Owens playing when he had 20 contested possessions against Gold Coast last year?
You can probably count on fingers and toes the number of current AFL players who will ever get 20 contested possessions?

Windhager had 16 against Magpies, and 15 against the Bulldogs. A very good sign from him.

But apparently we want Phillipou in there, even though he's only hit 10 once.

Even when Gary Ablett Jr was playing as a forward you saw games where he won a lot of the contested ball.

Essendon are always on about needing a big bodied mid, surely he'd get time there if he's the man.
( I can be a big bodied mid, but i'd be crap at it ).

I thought that Ward would be more a Wilson type.

What role was Mitch Owens playing when he had 20 contested possessions against Gold Coast last year?

You can probably count on fingers and toes the number of current AFL players who will ever get 20 contested possessions?

Windhager had 16 against Magpies, and 15 against the Bulldogs. A very good sign from him.

Hey way playing as a key forward. But not playing like a key forward.

He had 21 of his 27 possesions in the forward half and 76% time game time forward of centre.

Mitch was roaming all over the place.

From Ross's last press conference sounds like they're giving him the choice between playing midfield in VFL or playing half-forward in the seniors.

What we would give for a Chad Warner - exactly what we need! & I’ll take a Callaghan as well!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back