List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Best bet is to use our cash to cop a salary dump in return for a draft pick. Similar to what Geelong did for Bowes and pick 7

Who are some high paid spuds? Zac Williams types
Yes I agree with this 100%. If as they say we have a war chest then lets use it to 'buy' FRDP's rather than overpay for FA's...

In 10 years we kept our 1st pick & went to the draft 8 times (in 2016 we basically deferred our pick to 2017).

The draft isn’t the be all & end all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a strong part if you draft and recruit well, which we butchered for the best part of a decade. You just have to look at Melbourne for example, they really didn’t turn things around until correcting their recruitment. Then there’s Sydney, Dogs, Richmond, etc.

Recruiting aging mids with either Daniel or Macrae doesn’t have the optics of high risk-high reward to my eyes. They’ll be 28 and 30 next year.

Both slowing down as well.

What makes you think they'd want to go back

The idea of being a trail blazer for the state that you and your family and all your mates live in would have some powerful appeal.

The opportunity to go into the rooms after a home game and be surrounded by people you love and care for, and who love and care for you, feels good too man. Seriously it can often be the difference that eases players through to another next level of output.

Plus the money.

The inaugurals will also be the first to go on to have post AFL careers in their state as well, and there will be plenty of opportunities in coaching, mentoring, managing, media, etc. Getting on board now could set a player up for a lifelong career in the industry.

Adam Tomlinson anyone?

Only 30, which is prime rump for a key back. Strong athletic profile. Has been linked with the Saints previously, fits a need and should be affordable.

Best bet is to use our cash to cop a salary dump in return for a draft pick. Similar to what Geelong did for Bowes and pick 7

Who are some high paid spuds? Zac Williams types

Rory Lobb.

No idea why the Dogs got him, they are extremely well stocked for that position.

Take his $1.5 million contact plus Dogs FRDP and everyone can go home for tea and medals.

Be interested to see how Crouch's knee recovers. There has been some suggestion his knee is chronic putting some doubt over his future.

Either way we still need more midfield talent as Crouch is very much a 100 metres gained per game player.
I hope not, especially considering he has already triggered a new deal for next year.

Hill had 2 years to run on his contract, so Bell held all of the chips and we were desperate to do a deal considering our many failed attempts to attract serious talent cough Josh Kelly cough

It was suggested at the time that Blake was a salary dump for us, which was a shocking thought at the time based on the quality of our list. Perhaps we weren't in cap trouble, but we definitely saw Blake as someone earning too much for his output at the time.

Should've walked then. Hill has come good now but he was paid more than Dangerfield and was not in our best 10 players for most of his time with us. He was in the top 20 paid players in the comp. So was Hanners.

The irony is that Acres out performed the guy we got in the position we got him for. You couldn't make up our dumb list management in that era.

If we had to release Acres to keep under the salary cap, the fanboys of our administration might want to readjust what they think "good management" is.

Yes I agree with this 100%. If as they say we have a war chest then lets use it to 'buy' FRDP's rather than overpay for FA's...

At some point you can start to condense the draft picks and take less of better quality. We should end up with a good player in the first round and the second round looks pretty good right now too. We need quality around the kids and hopefully sell off some of the later picks to move up. Then add some middle career talent from different pathways including FA.

Good list management should identify who will and won't make it and move on the guys that don't look likely before putting years of development in.

We have a lot of kids that are worth persisting with at the moment. Schoenmaker, Keeler, Van Es and those types are all on the fringe but well worth investing more time into. Clearing their spots to bring in more later picks is a negative.

Both slowing down as well.

I don't think they are being valued. You'd only get them as a fill-in while kids develop. Still good players being played out of position or in the VFL. Macrae is a midfielder being asked to play outside so that they can develop kids.

We don't have kids to develop on-ball. Maybe if we can get one this year it makes it pointless.

Adam Tomlinson anyone?

Only 30, which is prime rump for a key back. Strong athletic profile. Has been linked with the Saints previously, fits a need and should be affordable.

He's probably too much like what we have. He's not quite a true KPB. More another Battle type.

Rory Lobb.

No idea why the Dogs got him, they are extremely well stocked for that position.

Take his $1.5 million contact plus Dogs FRDP and everyone can go home for tea and medals.

It was a really weird choice. I guess they thought that it would give time for Ugle-Hagen and Darcy to develop.

It sounds like lots of other clubs are keen on Lobb so don't think they'll have to give away a pick to get rid of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should've walked then. Hill has come good now but he was paid more than Dangerfield and was not in our best 10 players for most of his time with us. He was in the top 20 paid players in the comp. So was Hanners.

The irony is that Acres out performed the guy we got in the position we got him for. You couldn't make up our dumb list management in that era.

If we had to release Acres to keep under the salary cap, the fanboys of our administration might want to readjust what they think "good management" is.
Just crazy what we did to acres basically gave him away as extras. He was always a good player we just ruined him along with a few others during that period.

It was a really weird choice. I guess they thought that it would give time for Ugle-Hagen and Darcy to develop.

It sounds like lots of other clubs are keen on Lobb so don't think they'll have to give away a pick to get rid of him.
After having no keys of any note they went 180 and overloaded. Naughton, Ugle - Hagen, Jones, Busslinger, O’Donnell, Keith, English, Lobb, Darcy and Croft as father sons along with Smith a young project ruck. I’m pretty sure I’ve missed another ruckman.

Lobb simply has to go but with that contract they will definitely need to do something to sweeten the deal. He’s not that good, everyone is sniffing around thinking draft pick to get him off the books or a very large chunk of his contract. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Busslinger traded back west, he was highly rated and hasn’t had a sniff but he’s very good in the air and will be a player.

They look ripe for raiding, trouble in the kennel, some big contracts and players like Smith looking to move on. Can Bevo hang on or is he gone, lots of interesting things ahead for them.

He's probably too much like what we have. He's not quite a true KPB. More another Battle type.
Do we need an ACTUAL key back.

We have Dougal and (granted small sample size) seems to have kicked the brain fades and ballet s**t. If he stays as he was on Saturday he’s probably a top 5 key back. Then Battle and Wilkie (with Cordy as depth).

Unless we could get like a Pearce or Andrews and make it a May/Lever set up I’m not sure we could make our backline better.

Do we need an ACTUAL key back.

We have Dougal and (granted small sample size) seems to have kicked the brain fades and ballet s**t. If he stays as he was on Saturday he’s probably a top 5 key back. Then Battle and Wilkie (with Cordy as depth).

Unless we could get like a Pearce or Andrews and make it a May/Lever set up I’m not sure we could make our backline better.
Yes we need to draft another key back, unfortunately we’ve missed on a few we drafted and quite a few clubs need one so the market is hot. We need to make sure that our lack of mids doesn’t cloud our judgement.

Yes we need to draft another key back, unfortunately we’ve missed on a few we drafted and quite a few clubs need one so the market is hot. We need to make sure that our lack of mids doesn’t cloud our judgement.
Dougal is 28 and Battle and Wilkie are very very good 2/3 backs. Cordy can come in for the double monster games (Carlton) and he depth for injuries.

Maybe we need a future key back (assuming Van Es is cooked) but I really don’t think it’s a need in any pressing manner.

Dougal is 28 and Battle and Wilkie are very very good 2/3 backs. Cordy can come in for the double monster games (Carlton) and he depth for injuries.

Maybe we need a future key back (assuming Van Es is cooked) but I really don’t think it’s a need in any pressing manner.
We’re fine at present but we need Van Es to come or in a year or two it will catch up with us. We can’t head into the Tassie era without a quality young key back on the list.

It’s a strong part if you draft and recruit well, which we butchered for the best part of a decade. You just have to look at Melbourne for example, they really didn’t turn things around until correcting their recruitment. Then there’s Sydney, Dogs, Richmond, etc.
Yep. You can’t climb out of the bottom 4 nor bottom 10 without it. You can hang in the top 8 / contending through trading, but you need the base.

Hill had 2 years to run on his contract, so Bell held all of the chips and we were desperate to do a deal considering our many failed attempts to attract serious talent cough Josh Kelly cough

It was suggested at the time that Blake was a salary dump for us, which was a shocking thought at the time based on the quality of our list. Perhaps we weren't in cap trouble, but we definitely saw Blake as someone earning too much for his output at the time.
It was less that we needed to clear his salary due to pressures and more that we didn't want to carry his 500k when he wasn't a guaranteed best 22 player.

We were hellbent on making sure the players who nominated us, got to us - no matter the cost. Not saying that's the right strategy to help us attract the names we were after, but that's what we did.

As for Hill, I was his biggest critic, but there's a direct correlation between the coaching and his reversal of form.

Now I don't want to talk about Acres anymore, I lost my faith in the club, and stopped posting anything for years after we got rid of my boy, Acres.

Don’t think Acres was ever getting any better under the coaching & development regime at the time - might have been different if he had RTB breathing down his neck

Most players that are worth anything go on to play 100-200 games of footy.
From 2013-2017 our rolling 10 decade of drafting had us drafting around 1 100 game player each year.
We drafted a heap of players who were never going to be any good, and topped up the 22 with them. No talent AND No potential.
Draft 1 decent player each year, and you have 10 good players after a decade. ( Grab some GOP's and fill the team ).
Draft 2 decent players each year and you have 20 good players after a decade, with a good spread of ages.
Drafting 2 decent players ( average ) each year can be challenging, drafting more will be damn difficult.

Everyone wants to speed it up, and sure, there are ways, but its best to go the distance.

Most trades don't get to 100 games, for example ,( hypothetical only ), if we'd drafted Nas instead of trading for Hill, we'd get half a decade more out of Nas.
That's five years where we don't have to find a replacement.

Saints drafting didn't even find 2 50 game players per year. Also we had a lot of late picks better than earlier. Gwilt, Fisher, Geary , Ro, Sinclair.

In 2012 only 3 of the players drafted that year, or in the previous 4 years would achieve 50 games.

Year: 50 ( or more ) game players drafted. :running 5 year average.
2003 : 2
2004 : 2
2005 : 1
2006 : 3
2007 : 2 : 2
2008 : 1 : 1.8
2009 : 0 : 1.4
2010 : 0 : 1.2
2011 : 3 : 1.2
2012 : 0 : 0.8
2013 : 3 : 1.2
2014 : 2 : 1.6
2015 : 1 : 1.2
2016 : 2 : 1.6
2017 : 2 : 2

( the three in 2013 , Billings , Dunstan, Acres ).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back