Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

People should be allowed to support how they want to. A club like Carlton does not expect a 38 point lead to turn into a 1 point win.

And if some supporters on here are angry about it, doesn’t make them a bad supporter.

Lay off

I do think it’s recency bias, if we came back from 38 down to win by a point you’d be elated.

It just doesn’t seem sustainable the way we play. The players were completely cooked at the end of the game. I don’t think they can do that for long enough to win a flag.

There were reasons for that though. We are not at our best. We have been in a major injury crisis and it takes time for returning players to get match fitness. You only need a couple of players to find the going tough, and the others having to cover for them, for the whole team to fatigue quickly. That will come.

Laughing at us celebrating that dog s**t effort.

We're going fine. But efforts liek that in the last expose us as mentally and physically gettable.

Melbourne are not contenders either imo. They rely on too few.
Yeah but you're never happy. we got a win against a top four side. we have players coming back to help contend. we dropped a few games against serious contenders but had a big injury list. lets get these players back and watch us go

Jekyll and Hyde team

Got overrun by a team with 48hrs less rest.

So good for 2.5 qtrs. So good.

The poor for a qtr.

Then deplorable for last 15 mins.

Bizarre.

Bank the win but some serious problems to solve to become a premiership threat.
48 hours? They played Saturday night and we played Friday night.

I think the poster is alluding to our lack of proper in-game management and applying tactics at the right time. Voss has been tactically outcoached badly for the last three games at least. Cats, collingwood (as much as I hate to say it), and Melbourne are coached well by very good tactical coaches.

We aren’t there yet. We’re lucky we have the talent we do at the moment.

I actually thought the plan we went in with tonight was great and executed really well. It just kinda went **** up when we tired.

Up the ****ing baggers, well done boys. I think people are being blinded by that last 25 minutes. I agree maybe we got things wrong and allowed an opening, but as unconvincing that last quarter was, the rest of the game was rather convincing for the most part.

That first half was some of the best footy we have played this year along with the second half in the GWS game. We moved the ball really well, we took a few more risks closer to the corridor from memory and we finally tried to change angle or height on our F50s.

Huge shoutout to Cincotta again this week, what a game on Kosi, wore him like a glove. Cripps was Herculean for most of the game after Q1 and Walsh was huge as well. I think we can be disappointed about the margin and how it came about, but you can’t fault most of our effort tonight. Thats a strong potential top 4 side with premiership experience held together for 3 quarters by a talisman in Petracca.

I go to sleep tonight knowing we take 4 pts home, players hopefully gain a little bit of confidence after last weeks crappy result and we go up to Sydney for another tough test for the group.
Let’s bank it and move on

Maybe he learnt not to check off Hewett. Did you see how many times he got caught vs the pies....
People are forgetting that this is only Ollie's second season. He is still learning and a bit more experience will help him... and about 10kg of muscle mass.

And what a great run down tackle by cinc, as pickett was about to kick a goal
Cincotta is an interesting one. Looks a better player already this year than last year. Might be just self belief.

Cincotta and Cowan looked like place holders a couple of weeks ago. They both look like they have to capacity to be vastly improving team contributors.

People should be allowed to support how they want to. A club like Carlton does not expect a 38 point lead to turn into a 1 point win.

And if some supporters on here are angry about it, doesn’t make them a bad supporter.

Lay off

It's a lack of insight, a lack of discussion, just constant whinging and negativity. If it starts being a pattern, that becomes a negative agenda and we don't do those here.

But an hour after a win and you are still angry that the top 4 opposition came back at us? Relieved yes, pulse still a little quick yes, can see room for improvement yes ... but angry?

I can recommend some mindfulness exercises if you're interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't keep playing Ollie on the wing he is too slow to react. He is killing us at the moment

Ollie had a great game. Got tackled a few times…………big deal!

Won some contests when he was up against 2 or 3 opponents made some great spoils and tackles himself. Well played young man!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He got ran down at least 3 times when we were surging forward. And kept losing his feet effectively putting him out of a 50/50 contest . He has got a lot to learn the young fella lucky he has time on his side
That first quarter though, boomshakalaka, he was wired man!
It won us the game!
He’s going to be better than bro, and bro is ****ing good.

So what you're saying is, it's your fault.

Angry Jim Henson GIF by Muppet Wiki

Muppet

I find your take on Cripps and Walsh gobsmacking. Both poured themselves into their roles as always , imperfectly but to call it arrogance is just daft.

Cripps job is obviously to hold onto the ball in congestion - it’s a tactic, arms up or brought to ground and hand it off - in the heat of battle, especially against the Dees mids, it’s not going to be clean every time.

Williams is injured - any other golden outside runners we could have brought in?

Wether we picked the best team or not, calling this team arrogant is simply wrong.

If anybody know their imperfections it’s this team.
This is a bizarre take on what I've written here, and is a rewriting of last year's second half resurgence.

Cripps has improved in terms of these pain points because he's not hatching terrible kicks as often, but his key mistakes in games relate to failing to take a solid first option.

You don't pay midfielders at that level for them to hatch the footy when they have someone in space.

Williams isn't exactly in sparkling form so they didn't have to be a world beater, especially in a team that had 7 defenders already.

Wilson and Carroll could have helped us out on the aggregate instead of Kennedy, Cowan, or maybe Pittonet and instituting a slightly different plan at the stoppage, particularly given the impact Gawn had for them and McKay had for us.

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 's**t posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

It’s sad that you have to pin this post after we win a game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the poster is alluding to our lack of proper in-game management and applying tactics at the right time. Voss has been tactically outcoached badly for the last three games at least. Cats, collingwood (as much as I hate to say it), and Melbourne are coached well by very good tactical coaches.

We aren’t there yet. We’re lucky we have the talent we do at the moment.
So... Voss got outcoached by the coach of last years premiers, the year before's premiers, and the year before that's premiers? And considering that we've only been bashed by one of those 3 sides, and beaten another one... I would say he's actually doing a good job.

Back