Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

Ollie is usually on his own when he receives the ball and instead of doing a quick head check before he takes of, he just takes off. it's a lack of experience thing. I reckon time hanging around Cerra and Hewett will give him that trait.
Maybe he learnt not to check off Hewett. Did you see how many times he got caught vs the pies....

Yep, from start to finish, after last weeks heartbreak, that was a quality win.
Held them off, they shouldn’t have been close for a myriad of reasons.
Poor umpiring, cuddling up to our poor decision making in offence to ice a commanding lead for 3/4’s of the game.
They strangled geelong last week, we managed to play our way early and come up for that last breath.
I’ll take that every day of the footy season and when I’m having a surf, a last gasp means you’re good to go again!

May I suggest that those perpetuating negativity after a win, with no constructive input surrounding it, go for a walk, listen to music, get some sleep, and allow those who are relieved to have a win to celebrate that?

Cbc Tv Moonshine GIF by CBC

For the record, I am happy that we won, but I'm rightfully critiquing a very lopsided performance, dropping the blame largely on the football department rather than the footballers.
Where do you expect these magical new running players to come from? Who would you have played instead?
I covered my suggested changes in the pre-match thread, though I was expecting Cuningham and Williams to be fit to play, but that simply would have spared Durdin and maybe Cowan.

Cripps and Walsh aren’t perfect - but how is trying your guts out arrogance?
Walsh has several moments a game where he should not be running for the receive or gather and should work towards a different part of the contest, so that he can conserve his energy to have a greater overall impact.

He literally gets in the way of his own team mates having impact, taking them - and often himself - out of the contest.

Cripps regularly holds onto the ball in congestion and ignores straight forward options in what amounts to an act of selfish frustration.

Part of the conversation last year was that everyone got together and spoke about a team first mentality in terms of how they approach the game, what did you think those statements referred to?
Arrogance for not spreading the load - who exactly do you think we have waiting in the wings?

Would you prefer we spread the load & lose?
Not even going to address such a glib hypothetical beyond pointing out the arrogance of how absolutely sure you are we picked the best team for the job given the current state of our list.

Walsh (37) and Cripps (34) streets ahead of everyone else for pressure acts as well.
I think as more stats come in you'll see that reflects an absurd amount of stoppage attendances.

Further to your earlier point: we played well for 2.75 quarters IMO. Dead on our feet for half of the third and most of the last.

Really happy with the win against a good opponent. But come on ODN, we went defensive way too early and gifted them the chance late. Our defensive set up is woeful as we lose our outlet and allow our opponent multiple attacks.

When he sends our forwards to defence we have no one to kick it too so it guarantees a million entries by Melbourne in the last 7 mins.

Nothing to do with heavy going/tiredness. All to do with defensive stupidity plays/tactics by Voss.

We definitely went defensive way too early, basically halfway through the 3rd when we were about a goal from killing it off at 38 points up.

We also went away from what we did well, and begun kicking aimlessly to Lever and May.

Still they are a good side and there is very little difference between the top 6-8 sides as it stands. We are in the mix/game and are relevant, but at our current level I don’t see us as more than a capable opponent who can beat anyone on their day but probably more a 6th-7th side.

Still lots of the season to play out though.

Imagine what he’d do to you if you had the ball and had your mindset…..?
I think the poster is alluding to our lack of proper in-game management and applying tactics at the right time. Voss has been tactically outcoached badly for the last three games at least. Cats, collingwood (as much as I hate to say it), and Melbourne are coached well by very good tactical coaches.

We aren’t there yet. We’re lucky we have the talent we do at the moment.

This is a great post.

Our best footy is very good. As the season builds we will learn to do it for four qtrs.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm a passionate member. As hot headed as anyone at times when we aren't playing to our best.

I think the best thing about tonight was the huge improvement in our inside 50's.

Still a few things to tidy up but if we get some games into Saad, Gov, Cerra, Martin Cuningham, etc we should be ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think as more stats come in you'll see that reflects an absurd amount of stoppage attendances.

Further to your earlier point: we played well for 2.75 quarters IMO. Dead on our feet for half of the third and most of the last.

So we played this game as wet weather front runners, got out in front, used up all of our energy and just held on by a nose at the post. Not a trainer in the world who wouldn't be happy with that.

I think supporters have the right to expect more.

Our list is absolutely loaded with superstars.

We’re better than this.

We are good but we aren’t that good.

Melbourne have May, Petracca, Gawn, Oliver, Lever, Viney, Pickett, Fritsch etc pretty arrogant if you think we are substantially better than that. They won a flag 2021, and finished top 4 home and away each season since, they think they have wasted their current group by not winning more flags yet.

Dude the one point wins are getting boring. I'd rather see us step one someone's throat
So... the upshot of that comment is that you don't like winning? Do you want us to go back to losing? 1 point or 100 points... a win is a win is 4 points.

Anyone still think that it's worth chasing Harrison Petty. Just a very average forward who has kicked 2 goals for the season. Mightn't be too long till he heads back to defence.

Back