Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

Living on a knifes edge this year, I thought we played really well and were almost undone by a superstar willing his team to victory.

Wins against GWS and Melbourne, Losses to Geelong and Collingwood. I have us right in it, we’ve had a rough draw so far and I’m glad we are keeping above water.

Walsh is a gun, Weitering is our best player and Pittonet is having his best season ever.

Ollie Hollands needs to dispose of the ball 2 seconds earlier, Matt Kennedy played some very dumb footy today and Corey Durdin needs a run in the twos.

Kennedy named in the best players on the afl website.

I thought he really got us going early. 21 disposals, 4 tackles, 4 clearances, 5 interceptions, 12 contested possessions. He did his job when Cripps was off. Sure, his efficiency wasn't great but he was playing the conditions.

Jon Ralph has said the same on X. Because a Dees supporter whinged about it. Ralphy suggesting that Kemp should be cited for staging.

You couldn’t make it up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Media idiots always have to one up to get clicks. It was a good tackle, arguably ball, it would’ve resulted in a Dees goal anyway and shouldn’t have been a free kick to Kemp.

Too much focus on the umpire making a mistake and not Petracca getting caught holding the ball or Petty missing a sitter from 25m out. Sore losers. There are no neutrals when it comes to Carlton.

Hell yes, they would have been worse. Kennedy was pretty good IMO. Cowan was quiet. I don't think the other two would have been better. It would have meant 6 changes. Then, you're also calling out two players after the fact. I assume you suggested Kennedy and Cowan for Carroll and Wilson prior to the game?
I think Kennedy along with Cripps and Walsh at the centrebounces in the first quarter was instrumental in setting up our 5 goal lead.

Also what about that bump by Kennedy to knock the defender off his feet, then picked up the ball and hand pass to Owies for a goal…created something from nothing just brilliant.

A very important win but they went to sleep in the last 10 minutes. That soccer goal should never have happened. Melbourne wanted it more and almost snatched the game.

Lots of positives to take away from the game but they simply must start playing four full quarters.

I thought he really got us going early. 21 disposals, 4 tackles, 4 clearances, 5 interceptions, 12 contested possessions. He did his job when Cripps was off. Sure, his efficiency wasn't great but he was playing the conditions.
He actually did too good of a job on Petracca early. Goody had no choice but to move him out of the guts.

Some people seriously overrate our list, i think it must happen in all clubs supporter bases. You’d think because we have Curnow, Harry, Walsh, Weiters and Cripps we should win a minimum 20 games a season and flag comfortably each season.

That's 5 bonafide A graders out of 23 players in a team. That's a lot of holes to fill. Sure Gov, Cerra, Acres, Martin, Newman, TDK can be A graders on their day, but they're not spoken about in those terms as much as the others are.

Dees had Gawn, Lever, May, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Fritsch and perhaps Pickett, who are talked about being A graders all the time.

We have 1 A grader out for the year and 1 coming back in a couple of weeks with any luck.

Melbourne beat Geelong last week and people are sooking over a win. Last 10 minutes went poorly but there was a lot of luck going Dees way too.

Exactly. As unhappy as some may be with the last 10 mins... there are a bunch of Dees supporters unhappy with the start.

It was always going to be a tough slog where we have our time in the sun and then they will have theirs. We played in our shell to save the game, they sensed that and came at us like a top 4 side does.

When all is said and done, it was an important win over a top 4 quality side in good form. Can't be unhappy with that.

Yes, some people seem to think we have a divine right to flog everyone we play.

Id love us to, but we don’t.

I think this side still isn’t where we want to be, and we need to improve and get some pieces to get us there. Also some of the younger guys need to play more footy together.

No side is perfect, that’s impossible with a salary cap and a draft, but we are now in a position going into every game thinking we can win.
Not one 200 player for us out there. Experience makes a difference in tight situations.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hell yes, they would have been worse. Kennedy was pretty good IMO. Cowan was quiet. I don't think the other two would have been better.
I think Kennedy was solid and I think Carroll would have been solid, perhaps he would have created more on the spread, maybe snagged a goal.

Wilson vs Cowan is trying to trade one thing for another and reshuffling Newman in the process, or instead resting a small forward to reinforce the outside midfield rotations.
It would have meant 6 changes. Then, you're also calling out two players after the fact. I assume you suggested Kennedy and Cowan for Carroll and Wilson prior to the game?
I did, yes, but I originally had 5 changes written up and suggested Wilson only if Martin didn't come up.

Overall though we got 4 points, but this isn't sustainable and I seriously hope we continue to make changes next week.

That's 5 bonafide A graders out of 23 players in a team. That's a lot of holes to fill. Sure Gov, Cerra, Acres, Martin, Newman, TDK can be A graders on their day, but they're not spoken about in those terms as much as the others are.

Dees had Gawn, Lever, May, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Fritsch and perhaps Pickett, who are talked about being A graders all the time.

We have 1 A grader out for the year and 1 coming back in a couple of weeks with any luck.

Our side is good to very good. But it isn’t so much better than every other side that not flogging Melbourne should be considered a loss.

That’s what I mean by people overrating our list, they see the top stars and think by that logic we should barely lose a game.

Dees have more proven a graders as theirs aside from the mentioned 5 of ours (maybe 6 if you include Saad) have been doing it longer than most of our guys.

I think (and hope) a lot of it is the side is still learning to play together. It’s basically been coming together in some coherent manner since Voss took over in 2022, so that’s 3 years. Our competitors have either had coaches for a lot longer and had more continuity, or the sides with newer coaches in Pies and GWS are both more experienced and also had only had one bad year and a string of finals and a GF appearance before that.

Melbourne is the most comparable side to us in the 8 currently in terms of how they have gone about their build and we have ours. Both of us were at ground zero, had no past success on the list to draw from and had to build it all.

Bottom line is, I think we are still a work in progress and we need to keep improving on and off the field. However, we are relevant again and go into every game a serious shot of winning, which wasn’t the case 3+ years ago.

Not one 200 player for us out there. Experience makes a difference in tight situations.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's like when we played Geelong, I think that the average number of games played for their team was 152 and ours was something like 84.

We lacked composure in that game when it counted, they had it in spades. We are the newcomers compared to most of the other teams fighting for a place in the 4. Experience means a lot.

People complain about our fixture being tough but I actually love it as we get to measure ourselves against the best and see what we need to do to improve.

We have every right to celebrate any victory against one of those type of teams.

As last two game wore on coll and melb were able to stem our movement a little to easily or maybe it was cerra coming off affected our defense to transition on turnover tonight ..
Plenty things to fix but fwd line looks far better with Martin .

Back