Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So Crouch Clark and Higgo won't improve us?
Clark is not AFL standard, so doesn't move the needle at all.

Crouch and Higgo absolutely good players and should improve us. However, not enough to make us not be a bottom 4-5 side.

Right now we are better than North and Tigers and that is all. Every other side looks comfortably better.

We also look line the worst coached side in the comp by a fair margin. Not sure that is going to change any time soon.

Last edited:

Mitchell is a great strategist and seems to be really creative. The Hawks have a very winning mindset and high expectations. and the decision makers at the club are still the same ones that had them the best side in footy. Guys like Finnis were a disaster because they starved the footy department. There was no structure, standards or quality.

We'd strayed so far from the path that even getting back in a straight line was a huge effort. Clubs don't win flags without good people in place all the way through the organisation. We wouldn't spend on staff and then became a place careers go to die.

Lyon is looking like a misstep as far our next premiership coach but he's probably there to redesign our backroom more than lead us to the promised land. We were on a road to nowhere under rates and Richo. We didn't even really have effort. We were a retirement home for guys who wanted to coast on higher than standard wages.

For me the frustration is that we are still so far away. A great coach gets more out of an ordinary list but the list was nowhere near a flag last year and we still aren't at a point where we are ready to challenge after a 14 year rebuild.

Not so sure where on the genius scale the move to send his leading goal kicker for the game to play fullback sits, especially when you’re over 20 points in front.

The only way we can become relevant again is by winning games.

But that can wait till next season as far as I care. We need top end talent in this draft and IMO should also trade a couple of our established "stars" for more first-round picks again, either in this draft or the following.

There are many narratives in football and points of interest, but right now we are not only off-Broadway, we're not in even the same State. It's a sad state of affairs but I think no one actually cares we're so terrible, they just expect it.

That won't be changed in 2024 or even 2025.

The only way we can break out of this rut is to actually win a Flag. So I hope they're approaching that in the right manner.

With this list there's no shortcut to our next Flag, and I think over 80/90% of our older players simply don't have what it takes to play in a Premiership team.

In short, and in order to get decent picks, I'd be willing to trade Steele and potentially King, and I'd be cutting dead-wood like a wood-chop chops you knowing ****ing what!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petracca also left Harley in the dust a few times

And we ain't finishing 3rd last
We might...

West Coast will win a few more at home (they have us, Hawthorn and North over there).

The Hawks also get North and Richmond (as well as another Richmond fixture) to finish the year and get Freo in tassie.

Both should get 3-4 more wins from here.

We have the Suns here, West Coast here and Richmond. Id say all of those are at best 50/50.

Could see us finishing 3rd or 4th last pretty comfortably TBH.

Not so sure where on the genius scale the move to send his leading goal kicker for the game to play fullback sits, especially when you’re over 20 points in front.

He's a young coach so he's going to make mistakes but there is an obvious ability to think differently there. He's got a game style that stacks up even if his list is thin.

He's a young coach so he's going to make mistakes but there is an obvious ability to think differently there. He's got a game style that stacks up even if his list is thin.
I agree that Sam Mitchell looks like he's got a touch of AFL savant about him, but it's yet to be seen whether that translates into coaching. 2024 will be his fourth year in the position (his third full year) so he's had enough time to impact, and I think Hawks fans would be starting to expect some growth in different areas. The last three weeks has been pretty positive for them.

I think one of our new moderators Gralin is a Hawks man. I wonder if he would be prepared to shed some light on what Hawks fans expectations are in terms of ladder position and how much more time they're prepared to give Sam Mitchell before the screws start getting tightened.

I agree that Sam Mitchell looks like he's got a touch of AFL savant about him, but it's yet to be seen whether that translates into coaching. 2024 will be his fourth year in the position (his third full year) so he's had enough time to impact, and I think Hawks fans would be starting to expect some growth in different areas. The last three weeks has been pretty positive for them.

I think one of our new moderators Gralin is a Hawks man. I wonder if he would be prepared to shed some light on what Hawks fans expectations are in terms of ladder position and how much more time they're prepared to give Sam Mitchell before the screws start getting tightened.

4 years with a bottoming out list is hardly evidence of anything. They may have been better off bottoming out and then chasing him once the grunt work was done but I'd swap in a flash.

new?

can't help though haven't watched footy or modded the hawks board for 4 years now

8th to bottom 4 in once season. What an embarrassment for the club.
I'll disagree. Shi*t feeling? Yup. But I'm not feeling any sense of embarrassment about it.

Over a rolling 5 year period there is usually 6 teams that comprise the top 4. They play prelim finals fairly regularly. In the 6th "rolling" year there will be a team (usually an old team that managed to snag one or three) that falls out and a young buck team joins them.

In 5th to 10th there is a rolling maul of teams that try to break into the top 4 as the new buck. Some cement themselves but others lift for a year then drop like a stone. This year it is Essendon but do any of us believe in 3 years time they cemented themselves as perennial top 4? Carlton is sitting 10th. To me they have a much stronger case but let's see.

In 5th to 15th there is the major peleton that knows they are but a cobble stone section of the race away from the busted collarbone that will derail all lofty ambitions. Or feeling good and getting into the Breakaway group.

Last year we sat in the peleton and avoided most hazards and snuck under the guard of a few competitors. This year we've hit a sharp stone or two and dropped.

The bottom 3 is where you go to AFL purgatory. Interestingly two of the richest clubs are there. I suspect they will dig their way out sooner than one of the small clubs. Time will again tell.

Embarrassing to drop from top 8 to where we are now? Yeah, Nah. We live in the single handedly most biased professional sporting league in the world. Bad years are baked in to the equation for us. We are as equally likely to float back into the 8 next year with a kinder draw and less injuries.

Going up and down is expected until we can build a functional midfield. Everything comes home to that.

I'll disagree. Shi*t feeling? Yup. But I'm not feeling any sense of embarrassment about it.

Over a rolling 5 year period there is usually 6 teams that comprise the top 4. They play prelim finals fairly regularly. In the 6th "rolling" year there will be a team (usually an old team that managed to snag one or three) that falls out and a young buck team joins them.

In 5th to 10th there is a rolling maul of teams that try to break into the top 4 as the new buck. Some cement themselves but others lift for a year then drop like a stone. This year it is Essendon but do any of us believe in 3 years time they cemented themselves as perennial top 4? Carlton is sitting 10th. To me they have a much stronger case but let's see.

In 5th to 15th there is the major peleton that knows they are but a cobble stone section of the race away from the busted collarbone that will derail all lofty ambitions. Or feeling good and getting into the Breakaway group.

Last year we sat in the peleton and avoided most hazards and snuck under the guard of a few competitors. This year we've hit a sharp stone or two and dropped.

The bottom 3 is where you go to AFL purgatory. Interestingly two of the richest clubs are there. I suspect they will dig their way out sooner than one of the small clubs. Time will again tell.

Embarrassing to drop from top 8 to where we are now? Yeah, Nah. We live in the single handedly most biased professional sporting league in the world. Bad years are baked in to the equation for us. We are as equally likely to float back into the 8 next year with a kinder draw and less injuries.

Going up and down is expected until we can build a functional midfield. Everything comes home to that.
A terrific/informative/interesting post there Parky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back