2024 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Hall, Culley and Maric are going to be interesting to squeeze in. Daresay the first 2 will be in the WAFL initially.

Absolutely no reason whatsoever why Chesser should be starting in anyone's team. If there's ever a case for a fella to go to the WAFL and pickup some confidence and continuity in his football, it's that bloke. Should've happened multiple times last season, if it wasn't for injuries still keeping him in the side.

Hoping Maric has some good pre season games so Watermans credits don't trump him for round 1. Traditionally Waterman has been in and out of the team himself and i wouldn't associate credits with his name at all, but i'd speculate seniority will probably dictate this one.

Wouldn't mind lining up like the below for RD 1

FWD: Ryan Allen Darling

HF: Brockman Williams Cripps

C: Gaff Ginbey Hunt

HB: Duggan McGovern Yeo

DEF: Bazzo Barrass Hough

Fol: Flynn, Kelly, Reid

INT: Maric, Hewett, Long, Jones

EMG: Waterman, Cole

FB: Cole Barrass Duggan
HB: Hunt McGovern Yeo
C: Hough Ginbey Gaff
HF: Hewett Darling Cripps
FF: Ryan Allen Long
FOL: Flynn Kelly Sheed
INT: B.Williams Reid Jones Brockman
One good clearance player away from a leap up the ladder. (And a good run of no injuries)

For those who attend preseason training, has there been any line training? Backs/ Mids/ Fwds.

Interested to know, as the best way forwards for Reid may be to start in the side as a half back, similar to how North started Sheezel last year.

Hall, Culley and Maric are going to be interesting to squeeze in. Daresay the first 2 will be in the WAFL initially.

Absolutely no reason whatsoever why Chesser should be starting in anyone's team. If there's ever a case for a fella to go to the WAFL and pickup some confidence and continuity in his football, it's that bloke. Should've happened multiple times last season, if it wasn't for injuries still keeping him in the side.

Hoping Maric has some good pre season games so Watermans credits don't trump him for round 1. Traditionally Waterman has been in and out of the team himself and i wouldn't associate credits with his name at all, but i'd speculate seniority will probably dictate this one.

Wouldn't mind lining up like the below for RD 1

FWD: Ryan Allen Darling

HF: Brockman Williams Cripps

C: Gaff Ginbey Hunt

HB: Duggan McGovern Yeo

DEF: Bazzo Barrass Hough

Fol: Flynn, Kelly, Reid

INT: Maric, Hewett, Long, Jones

EMG: Waterman, Cole
I'm happy with your stance on Chesser, and would even apply this to other youngsters so long as the Match Committee show a willingness to drop senior players should their form not be up to it. And by up to it, I mean they should be held to a higher standard than the youth in the 2s.

I would love to see some players banging down the door to get a game.

For those who attend preseason training, has there been any line training? Backs/ Mids/ Fwds.

Interested to know, as the best way forwards for Reid may be to start in the side as a half back, similar to how North started Sheezel last year.
Reid seemed to be training as a mid in Dunsborough on Wednesday
In fact, when he got injured
It was in a ball up situation where Shuey was throwing the ball up and Flynn was rucking to a combination of Reid Ginbey and Kelly

Great to be in a position to have decent discussions about best 22. Where just about every perspective has some merit. Gonna be an exciting time seeing how the newer players go.

Is brockman best 22?

I dont think so

I'd say as a 3rd year small forward who was rated highly by West Coast pre draft and now clearly still rated for them to cough up a couple of draft picks, the club certainly thinks so.

I tend to agree with them. Not sure he'd displace Ryan, Cripps or Schlong, but he'd probably get the nod ahead of Jones, Petch, Rawlinson and Dewar as a FWD.

I've got a feeling Petrucelle starts in the WAFL round 1.

I'd say as a 3rd year small forward who was rated highly by West Coast pre draft and now clearly still rated for them to cough up a couple of draft picks, the club certainly thinks so.

I tend to agree with them. Not sure he'd displace Ryan, Cripps or Schlong, but he'd probably get the nod ahead of Jones, Petch, Rawlinson and Dewar as a FWD.

I've got a feeling Petrucelle starts in the WAFL round 1.
Petch should start in the WAFL. If he's ripping it up consistently and staying healthy, he should get the call up.

But he's had enough chances to start in the team because of 'development' or injuries, or whatever, and for various reasons he hasn't quite nailed it. Let someone else like Brockman start and see if Petch can push him out on form.

I think Petch is maybe capable of it, but as always, consistency and continuity are the issue and he'll need some luck.

Finally a bit of different type of pressure on the match committee.

From, OMG who are we going to bring in to OMG who are we going to leave out.

Finally a bit of different type of pressure on the match committee.

From, OMG who are we going to bring in to OMG who are we going to leave out.

You're not wrong, but Lets be honest here, the guys on the fringe and potentially missing out on a round 1 berth are..

Maric, Waterman, Jones, Hough, Cole, Petrucelle, Chesser, Culley

Whilst a lot of these faces have played recently due to injury, it's not like we're gonna leave a superstar to play at the Beagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I would have another crack at our Round 1 team, given what we now know with injuries and player positioning etc. Still a lot to play out, dare I say more injuries to come.

FB Cole Barrass Witherden
CHB Hough McGovern Reid
W Hunt Yeo Gaff
HF Long Darling Cripps
FF Brockman Allen BWilliams
R Flynn Kelly Duggan
Int JJones (Back) Chesser (Wing) Ginbey (Mid) Waterman (Fwd) Petch (M/F)

Ryan, Sheed, AReid, Hewett, Culley I didn’t include due to injury.

I think Gaffy gets first go on the wing (pending pre season form), but will be much more prone to playing Beagles if form isn’t good.

Leaves the following players playing In the 2s

Backs
Rotham
Bazzo
HEdwards
Burgeil (Had he not missed this chunk with a hammy, would have tried to find room)
Baker

Mids
Trew
LEdwards
Hall
Johnston

Ruck
Jamo
Barnett
Livingston

FWD
JWilliams
Maric
Dewar
Rawlinson

Thought I would have another crack at our Round 1 team, given what we now know with injuries and player positioning etc. Still a lot to play out, dare I say more injuries to come.

CHB Hough McGovern Reid
W Hunt Yeo Gaff
HF Long Darling Cripps
R Flynn Kelly Duggan

I think Gaffy gets first go on the wing (pending pre season form), but will be much more prone to playing Beagles if form isn’t good.

Backs
Rotham
Bazzo
HEdwards
Burgeil (Had he not missed this chunk with a hammy, would have tried to find room)
Baker

Mids
Trew
LEdwards
Hall
Johnston

Ruck
Jamo
Barnett
Livingston

FWD
JWilliams
Maric
Dewar
Rawlinson
I like it mostly, and I think itll be close to the starting team. Hopefully Hewett gets up at least
I just dont like Witho in there, especially for round 1. I think he has to be 8th or 9th in line for a spot. I think there is room for a 3rd tall in the backline? free up Gov a bit to play his best role, most teams seem to run the 3rd tall backman these days to line up on the 2nd ruck or intercept anyway. Bazzo maybe for Witho? At least for the start of the season.
What do you think?

I like it mostly, and I think itll be close to the starting team. Hopefully Hewett gets up at least
I just dont like Witho in there, especially for round 1. I think he has to be 8th or 9th in line for a spot. I think there is room for a 3rd tall in the backline? free up Gov a bit to play his best role, most teams seem to run the 3rd tall backman these days to line up on the 2nd ruck or intercept anyway. Bazzo maybe for Witho? At least for the start of the season.
What do you think?
Agree on both points. Hoping Hewett is right to go, but if he is coming from a long way back, thinking it may be best for him, to get form a fitness in the WAFL before being bought in. 5 on the bench may work in his favour as they can manage minutes.

Witho was the one I thought the most about. I know the club was happy with his form last year and they will be hoping he continues to improve this year. I would say it’s out of him and Bazzo for that last spot.

CHB Hough McGovern Reid
W Hunt Yeo Gaff
HF Long Darling Cripps
R Flynn Kelly Duggan

Backs
Rotham
Bazzo
HEdwards
Baker

Mids
Trew
LEdwards
Hall
Johnston

Ruck
Jamo
Barnett
Livingston

FWD
JWilliams
Maric
Dewar
Rawlinson
Pretty similar to me mate although I've got bazzo/maric in for witherden/Petrucelle.ive got a very tall back and forward line I think that gives us an edge whilst we work on our list depth.We need to get games into bazzo for the future and the best way for that is playing along side mcgovern/barass as opposed to getting a game when there out injured so he can develop.

Here's my best 23 (sheed, Hewett, Ryan,culley injured)

H.Reid Barass Cole
Bazzo Mcgovern Hough
Hunt Kelly Jones
Waterman Darling Cripps
Long Allen. B.Williams
Flynn Yeo Duggan

Brockman Gaff Ginbey Maric

Sub- Chesser
Emg- Hall Witherden Trew???

This is how I see us going round 1 now:

B: Cole Barrass Duggan
HB: Reid McGovern Hough
C: Hunt Kelly Chesser
HF: Cripps Darling Hewett
F: Brockman Allen Long
F: Flynn, Ginbey, Yeo
I/C: BWilliams, Maric, Hall, Burgiel

Sub: Jones (but I’d prefer Johnston)

Culley, Sheed and Ryan not considered due to injury

This is how I see us going round 1 now:

B: Cole Barrass Duggan
HB: Reid McGovern Hough
C: Hunt Kelly Chesser
HF: Cripps Darling Hewett
F: Brockman Allen Long
F: Flynn, Ginbey, Yeo
I/C: BWilliams, Maric, Hall, Burgiel

Sub: Jones (but I’d prefer Johnston)

Culley, Sheed and Ryan not considered due to injury
Gaff and Petch will play. Hard to see Burgiel playing R1 with his iffy hammies.

Gaff and Petch will play. Hard to see Burgiel playing R1 with his iffy hammies.
You may well be right but I hope Pyke and board have explicitly said to give the youth first crack. Would much rather see a fit Chesser given first crack on the wing than Gaff and Hall over Petch. Who goes out? Two of Maric, Chesser and Burgiel?

You may well be right but I hope Pyke and board have explicitly said to give the youth first crack. Would much rather see a fit Chesser given first crack on the wing than Gaff and Hall over Petch. Who goes out? Two of Maric, Chesser and Burgiel?
I guess it'll come down to availability, I'm still scarred and worried we'll be at least 6 players down come Rd 1.

I guess it'll come down to availability, I'm still scarred and worried we'll be at least 6 players down come Rd 1.

You’re probably right

Ryan and Culley definite non-starters
Sheed still not running yet so he’s doubtful
Jamieson, Hewett, Rotham and Archer Reid all either not training or doing limited work so they’re no guarantee of being available

So that’s 7 without any additional injuries between now and R1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back