2023 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s the criteria? Who we think they will pick or what we would do if selecting.
Surely those of us “in the know” would be aware of who is linked to varied teams, and that probably should be a guide line. It is a Phantom so whomever is selecting surely has some licence for individual thoughts. Ideally a logical, reasonable selection, but with some licence to show our preferences where there is room for conjecture. Clear as mud!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 1 - West Coast Eagles - Harley Reid - Midfielder/Forward/WhereverHeWants (Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers) 187cm 85kg

What more is there to say? He's had pick one locked down for the past two years at least. Touted as the next 'generational' player. The only real question left around pick one is whether the Eagles trade it for multiple first round picks - and they've already rejected an offer that includes pick 2 and two other first round picks.

Harley's got it all - powerful, hard at the contest, versatile - can play through the middle, half-forward, half-back. Excellent around goal, great overhead for his size. He's got plenty of smarts, reads the play well, has that extra something that is a hallmark of some of the games greats - seems to play in his own space and time.

If there's a question mark, it's around how he translates his junior grade dominance to the big league. He is a super confident player, and perhaps his first few matches will come as a bit of a wake up call? How he responds to that will be a test of his character, but I'd back him in to live up to the hype. Has a bit of Nathan Buckley figjam about him, but perhaps best modern comparison would be Petracca or Dusty.

1699160224879.jpeg

Soapy V you're up! (twice)

Pick Three - North Melbourne

Zane Duursma Mid/Fwd Gippsland Power

Has it all. Class, Poise, Finds the ball, can take a grab and also kicks goals. Way to valuable to pass up
At 189cm a great height. Just needs to add some muscle but that will come
I think he is a good as anyone is the draft and could have easily gone Pick 1 even with Harley Reid

Will be a star from Day One.

When you add him to LDU Sheezel Wardlaw Phillips Simpkin Thomas Stephens, has there ever been a better group of young mid/running talent at one club?

Pick Four - North Melbourne

Daniel Curtin KPP or Mid

Could have gone with another genuine mid or a small forward who I both rated highly

Put simply I couldn't pass the kid up. At 195 cm I think he will become an elite mid in the Bontempelli type.

North have enough genuine midfield talent that he could play defence or attack whilst he develops. He gives them options and a different look. He has a lovely left foot, great hands and I like how he has time and hits targets. The way he played against Senior bodies late in the year clinched it for me. I also see a lot of improvement yet.

In the end he fitted North's needs and could be anything. Way too hard to pass up in a group of 3-4 very talented young players

TENACIOUS you're up!

Last edited:
Pick 6 - Hawthorn - Colby McKercher - Tasmanian Devils - 182cm & 78kg.

With Duursma gone, our need for elite mids, and with incoming FS KPPs in this draft. Best Available was obvious choice.

The left-footer is damaging with the ball and has also shown this year he can hit the scoreboard, he finds the ball in and around the stoppages as both a primary ball winner and first receiver... He uses his speed to burst away from contest, which is a real highlight of his game... McKercher put up outrageously good numbers across all competitions this year, including an average of 32.8 disposals for the Allies. He managed 29.4 per nine Talent League games, but his first six appearances yielded hauls of 31, 32, or 33 touches. Better yet, upon returning from Champs, he notched a personal-best of 41.

His honours this year included All-Australian and Talent League Team of the Year selection to go with a tied Morrish Medal & runner-up in this year’s Larke Medal .

STRENGTHS:

• Consistency
  • Clean hands
  • Decision making
  • Skills
  • Speed
  • Work rate

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Contested game
  • Strength

Western Bulldogs Coona Blues

Last edited: