General Bombers Talk 2023 Jumper Leaked

Remove this Banner Ad

There has to be an actual reason they don’t use the above middle one, doesn’t there?

No one in their right mind can be looking at the all red one going ‘yeah, this looks brilliant’
The constitution says it has to be a red sash

I'd honestly prefer we played in an away Dreamtime jumper than the red on red clash strip.

Essendon-Indig-2017.gif
Agree - this is a far better "away" top than anything else we've ever produced.

We should just wear our standard jumper for all home and away games. Any variations should be for a cause, and that cause should not be AFL pandering. So if they decide that we're going to clash with St Kilda every year, then our game against St Kilda should be for a cause. Then wear the cause jumper and auction the things in support of that cause afterwards.

St Kilda is, fwiw, one of the stupidest "clash" problems in the first place. No matter what we do with red and black, they're still gonna have red and black on their jumpers. And making us wear white shorts against a team in a tricolour that also features white just makes it worse.

Is there anything actually stopping us using the Dreamtime style jumper for every away game?

If we want to be a genuine leader amongst clubs for Indigenous players, maybe playing in an Indigenous jumper more than once a year to sell some extra merch would be a good decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anything actually stopping us using the Dreamtime style jumper for every away game?

If we want to be a genuine leader amongst clubs for Indigenous players, maybe playing in an Indigenous jumper more than once a year to sell some extra merch would be a good decision.
it'd be nice to continue to the acknowledgement throughout the year vs. a single round.
Keep the round by all means, but I'd love to see the jumper become a regular rotation.

it'd be nice to continue to the acknowledgement throughout the year vs. a single round.
Keep the round by all means, but I'd love to see the jumper become a regular rotation.
I think it makes it less special honestly

There’s nothing to stop it. Some clubs do that anyway, wear their special jumpers in other weeks after the event is over.

But what it ends up looking like imo is that they couldn’t afford another set of regular home/away guernseys so they had to fish through the back of the property room for something to wear.

It loses its meaning.

But I don’t see why we couldn’t have special jumpers for the clash games, with each one being specific to a different cause.

But what it ends up looking like imo is that they couldn’t afford another set of regular home/away guernseys so they had to fish through the back of the property room for something to wear.

It would have to be a new design, not re-use one from a previous year. But basically say 'here's our clash jumper, designed by <insert Indigenous artist here> because we believe we should showcase our Indigenous people's work more often'.

But I don’t see why we couldn’t have special jumpers for the clash games, with each one being specific to a different cause.

This would also be fine.

It would have to be a new design, not re-use one from a previous year. But basically say 'here's our clash jumper, designed by <insert Indigenous artist here> because we believe we should showcase our Indigenous people's work more often'.
I guess what you’re kind of going for is the heritage guernsey thing that they tried a while ago, with the tiny black writing all over it and the signature of a past player at the top of the sash. They did it a couple of times and then they had the same one two years in a row and then quietly dropped the whole thing so it’s just red on red.

When other clubs re-wear their Indigenous designs it is a new design for that year, they debut the jumper in Indigenous round and then wear it again a few weeks later.

Ultimately I’d rather auction them off after Dreamtime when interest is at its highest and put the money towards supporting Indigenous programs though, rather than to normalise it as a standard jumper that stops meaning anything.

I guess a different way to do it is to have a set of jumpers designed by the same artist and wear a different one in each of the six games and people can collect them or just choose their favourite.

But I guess designing and developing one-off guernseys is ultimately still a bit cost prohibitive. I don’t think manufacturers like setting up all their mass production machines to print off a small batch of speciality products…

At the moment we have I think six jumpers?
  • Home
  • Away
  • Clash
  • Dreamtime
  • Anzac
  • Country
Plus the women’s team has;
  • Home
  • Away
  • Clash
  • Dreamtime
  • Pride
Which being cotton on are designed from scratch anyway even if the result looks similar, whereas the VFLW has Under Armour guernseys and uses the same designs as the AFL team.

I wonder if getting rid of cotton on (if the AFL eventually let us) and consolidating the jumpers so all teams use the same designs might make it less expensive overall, since we already pay to produce several different designs 🤔

At the moment we have I think six jumpers?
  • Home
  • Away
  • Clash
  • Dreamtime
  • Anzac
  • Country
Plus the women’s team has;
  • Home
  • Away
  • Clash
  • Dreamtime
  • Pride
Which being cotton on are designed from scratch anyway even if the result looks similar, whereas the VFLW has Under Armour guernseys and uses the same designs as the AFL team.

I wonder if getting rid of cotton on (if the AFL eventually let us) and consolidating the jumpers so all teams use the same designs might make it less expensive overall, since we already pay to produce several different designs 🤔

Given the Men's and Women's are different cuts I would have thought the artwork is a relatively minor part of the cost compared to the different pattern (or whatever it's called) setup, I don't think custom designs are overly costly given local clubs and small sporting groups can get them done for fairly small quantities at reasonable prices but are based upon a common cut.

Given the Men's and Women's are different cuts I would have thought the artwork is a relatively minor part of the cost compared to the different pattern (or whatever it's called) setup, I don't think custom designs are overly costly given local clubs and small sporting groups can get them done for fairly small quantities at reasonable prices but are based upon a common cut.
Yeah idk. You wouldn’t think it’d be expensive but they seem to need 12-18 months lead time and then as I said some clubs reuse them a lot. Richmond’s jumpers a few years ago went purple when they faded in the wash, so there were days they were playing in yellow and purple because seemingly they couldn’t get another set.

We are already making a women’s cut of the men’s designs for the VFLW… so we’re doubling up with cotton on for the AFLW team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back