AFLW 2023 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Woah the facepalm emoji, bringing out the big guns... Moving on.

Today somebody told me the official slogan for this year's AFLW season, to be revealed alongside the fixture release, is "No Pain No Gain" even though for some strange reason I initially heard it as "No Name No Brain". Whoops!

I have also seen some wildly stupid theories floating around about the fixture so, again, let's just make it clear: The fixture is done. It was given to clubs weeks ago. It will be announced when the league and players agree to terms for lengthening of future seasons--or, failing that, when the players just give up on negotiating like they do in other women's sports.

I hope the players hurry up, because the delay is a real inconvenience TO ME.

I have also seen some wildly stupid theories floating around about the fixture so, again, let's just make it clear: The fixture is done. It was given to clubs weeks ago.
And to broadcasters as well I assume? Strange there haven't been leaks given the number of people who have presumably seen it.

And to broadcasters as well I assume? Strange there haven't been leaks given the number of people who have presumably seen it.
That would be a safe assumption, the broadcasters practically draw it up themselves.

There have been a few bits and pieces, following the R1 western derby news. Hawthorn v Essendon at Frankston as suspected, where Melbourne are also playing an early season Friday 5pm game.

Hasn't got a clue, this bloke. Season timing and structure is 100x more important than the fixture release date.

It would be nice to always have it 3-4 months in advance but quite a lot of drama queens are exaggerating the impact of this delay. There are toddlers in backseats across Australia right now practicing better patience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the players were trying to push for more hence the hold up but seems to have caved for what was originally on the table
The original offer was 10 rounds for 9 years with the possibility, but no guarantee, of games added at some stage(s) in that period.

The compromise being negotiated is guaranteeing x amount of games if certain clauses are met.

The original offer was 10 rounds for 9 years with the possibility, but no guarantee, of games added at some stage(s) in that period.

The compromise being negotiated is guaranteeing x amount of games if certain clauses are met.

How long to you think the season should be?

How long to you think the season should be?
It should be everybody-plays-each-other-once. However, I don't have a problem with it being dependent on certain "metrics", just not attendance and viewership because the AFL can sabotage those (deliberately or not) through poor promotion and fixturing.

Gill and co. are adamant higher scoring is the key to better ratings/crowds etc., so I don't know why the deal can't be: 2 rounds are added whenever the average scores per season hit certain thresholds (increase by 10 percent, for example). Gives the players control, while incentivising them to deliver the product that the AFL want.

Gill and co. are adamant higher scoring is the key to better ratings/crowds etc., so I don't know why the deal can't be: 2 rounds are added whenever the average scores per season hit certain thresholds (increase by 10 percent, for example). Gives the players control, while incentivising them to deliver the product that the AFL want.
This makes the most logical sense to me. It also puts the onus on coaches to play a game style that promotes attacking then as they'd also benefit from an extended season and eventual full-time AFLW comp.

It should be everybody-plays-each-other-once. However, I don't have a problem with it being dependent on certain "metrics", just not attendance and viewership because the AFL can sabotage those (deliberately or not) through poor promotion and fixturing.

This makes the most logical sense to me. It also puts the onus on coaches to play a game style that promotes attacking then as they'd also benefit from an extended season and eventual full-time AFLW comp.

There's no easy answer. I get the logic about having incentives that are within the control of the teams, but it is a bit fraught to have an incentive for high scores. If it achieved through blowouts or by contrived avoidance of defensive systems. Evolution of all sports is driven by the tension between attack and defense.

I suspect the problem is the AFL's TV deal out to 2031 specifies metrics for expanding coverage (and perhaps funding) over a longer season and the AFL is negotiating from that position. I.e. short of certain metrics being met it is going to cost the AFL substantially more to expand the competition back into the men's season

There's no easy answer. I get the logic about having incentives that are within the control of the teams, but it is a bit fraught to have an incentive for high scores. If it achieved through blowouts or by contrived avoidance of defensive systems. Evolution of all sports is driven by the tension between attack and defense.

I suspect the problem is the AFL's TV deal out to 2031 specifies metrics for expanding coverage (and perhaps funding) over a longer season and the AFL is negotiating from that position. I.e. short of certain metrics being met it is going to cost the AFL substantially more to expand the competition back into the men's season
A contrived avoidance of defensive systems is exactly what the AFL wants. Sent a memo to clubs about it mid-season once upon a time, if you recall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back