Draft 2023 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

First interstate trip of the year this weekend too, heading to Adelaide to check out a couple of trial games. In terms of personal interest, it will likely be Norwood vs Glenelg on Friday night and Central vs West Adelaide on Saturday.

First interstate trip of the year this weekend too, heading to Adelaide to check out a couple of trial games. In terms of personal interest, it will likely be Norwood vs Glenelg on Friday night and Central vs West Adelaide on Saturday.

Who are you liking from all 4 sides?

Who are you liking from all 4 sides?
Molly Brooksby (Norwood), Piper Window (Glenelg), Elaine Grigg (Central) and Lauren Young (West) are the best top-agers in each side likely to play in the matches.

Molly Brooksby (Norwood), Piper Window (Glenelg), Elaine Grigg (Central) and Lauren Young (West) are the best top-agers in each side likely to play in the matches.

Be interesting to see how Young goes after her ACL injury 2 years ago.

Be interesting to see how Young goes after her ACL injury 2 years ago.
It was late in 2021, so it's been more like 15-16 months type thing. She played the first trial the other night but there was no stream. Obviously got through it though.

It was late in 2021, so it's been more like 15-16 months type thing. She played the first trial the other night but there was no stream. Obviously got through it though.

Fingers crossed she nominates openly so there's a possibility of her going to Essendon. ;);)

West vs Central notes:

• Lauren Young played predominantly forward, a role she will play throughout the 2023 SANFLW season (talked to West coach Bruce Dawes)
  • Iilish Ross is a class above at state league level, easily deserves another chance at the top level
  • Steph Tredwell and Sophie Eaton showed signs up their respective forward ends (both 07-born)
  • I'll put a one to watch note on Lauren Breguet who has a new role off half-back and even pushed forward to kick a goal today. She's always had talent, but if she puts it together, watch out
  • Elaine Grigg settled in well, the wingers in her and Laitiah Huynh is a really strong combo, and the Bulldogs midfield won't be an issue this year (though it rarely is)
  • For most of the game, Central seemed to have more of the ball but just missed some really gettable chances, West did too though, and just stepped up when it counted

Norwood vs Glenelg notes:

• Piper Window and Lana Schwerdt crashing and bashing into each other all game was really fun
  • Alana Lishmund should be playing AFLW, if she can show she can do more than just kick goals - as she did Friday night with her pressure up the ground, no reason why she can't take the next step
  • Glenelg really struggled to have the same consistency as in past years, of course losing Jess Bates from that midfield group, and tbf Matilda Scholz was out of it. I think they'll miss the four this season
  • Matilda Wilmore was a shining light for the Bays, an 07-born midfielder who looks a bit like Charlotte Baskaran in terms of her size and hairstyle, and plays like her too. Obviously not at the same level, but has that tenacity and touch of class
  • Norwood didn't release their team list numbers but there were a couple of players who impressed who I think were 07s as I hadn't seen them before, once I know I'll add em' to the list
  • Molly Brooksby didn't play, so the game was minus both Brooksby and Scholz

SANFL Women's kicking off tonight with Norwood hosting North Adelaide. Looms as a good round of action, there's three games there that I can see being incredibly close, which is always great to see.

For more detail you can check out my SANFL Women's Round 1 preview I've done up. Ultimately I'm tipping North tonight (though not with as much confidence as I was mid-week after seeing the Norwood team), then Central over Eagles, West over Glenelg (will see if trial form stacks up) and South over Sturt (another thriller beckons).

A few injuries to draft-relevant players:

Molly Brooksby (Norwood, midfielder) out with a hamstring for 4-6 weeks, got that confirmation today.
Matilda Scholz (Glenelg, ruck) nursing a hamstring which she did from running following a pesky wrist injury
India Rasheed (Sturt, forward) just a little niggle according to the coach, didn't want to risk it, will be a test for next week, but certainly not long-term.

Obviously Shae Archbold and Georgia McKee won't feature this season, out with ACLs.

Thank you for the associated previews. Spot on picking game 1 margin for Norwood v North.
Interested to see how clubs who share home grounds with exclusive use especially early. Share is North, Sturt, Glenelg, WWT v Exclusive Norwood, Centrals, South and Westies.

It looks like Port Adelaide concessions announced today allow selection of an underage (ie 17yo) player for 2023 and they will be able to play during their year 12 season as with the 2022B draftees.

It looks like Port Adelaide concessions announced today allow selection of an underage (ie 17yo) player for 2023 and they will be able to play during their year 12 season as with the 2022B draftees.
It’s interesting how they seem to the the only one. The others have different bonuses.

I wonder if there happens to be a certain player they have in mind? 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s interesting how they seem to the the only one. The others have different bonuses.

I wonder if there happens to be a certain player they have in mind? 🤔

Is there a YOUNG player they've got in mind?

Is there a player who's entering a WINDOW of opportunity?

Have I FIGERTten anyone?

hmmm name not mentioned now. The article I first read, mentioned a 17 year old who’s coming back from an ACL and playing in the SANFLW. Mentioned her name, but I didn’t pay attention to it.

hmmm name not mentioned now. The article I first read, mentioned a 17 year old who’s coming back from an ACL and playing in the SANFLW. Mentioned her name, but I didn’t pay attention to it.
I'm being sarcastic haha, it's obviously Lauren Young haha. She's the best player in the country.

Seeing the original 47 train on squad for SA Under 18, there are 2 players Saskia Naismith - Glenelg & Cleo Guilfoyle - South who I am unsure of what Draft year they available for. Can anyone assist?

Seeing the original 47 train on squad for SA Under 18, there are 2 players Saskia Naismith - Glenelg & Cleo Guilfoyle - South who I am unsure of what Draft year they available for. Can anyone assist?
I see your problem, even as someone who has access to player vitals, they haven't done preseason testing or have played in tournaments that list DOB (both missed the junior champs last year for example).

Both will be 2006-born though. The reason I know is for two reasons:

1) Both played Development League last season and if they were 07s, would not have been eligible last year.
2) I chatted to Talent Manager Robbie Neill requesting a list of Academy top-agers to interview at this year's preseason testing event (which I did) and neither were on the list.

Therefore by process of elimination, both are 2006 and eligible for the 2024 AFLW Draft.

any mock draft for the overage draft in 2 weeks time?
I'll be detailing some leading prospects in my eyes, but it's near impossible to predict a mock draft. Mainly because just about every club will be drafting on needs basis simply due to the fact these draftees are effectively past pick 100 of a real draft (keeping in mind the selections last year and injury replacements). I would expect the majority to be either from the club's VFL side (in the case of Vics), leading state league talents who can plug a hole, or players who were perhaps injured last year and couldn't play thus weren't picked up, but are now free to go and could be good value.

I'll be detailing some leading prospects in my eyes, but it's near impossible to predict a mock draft. Mainly because just about every club will be drafting on needs basis simply due to the fact these draftees are effectively past pick 100 of a real draft (keeping in mind the selections last year and injury replacements). I would expect the majority to be either from the club's VFL side (in the case of Vics), leading state league talents who can plug a hole, or players who were perhaps injured last year and couldn't play thus weren't picked up, but are now free to go and could be good value.
Also worth pointing out that the most popular pick will probably end up being 'pass'. Teams may keep spots open to fill later on. I believe they can fill empty spots right up until the start of the season, so unless they have somebody specific in mind, they can just hold off and see how the state leagues play out and decide later.

Also worth pointing out that the most popular pick will probably end up being 'pass'. Teams may keep spots open to fill later on. I believe they can fill empty spots right up until the start of the season, so unless they have somebody specific in mind, they can just hold off and see how the state leagues play out and decide later.
Yeah, if I had to take a stab at who Pick 1 will be after thinking about it, I'd go Grace Purcell. Arguably the most upside of the players available coming off an ACL. Has had less footy than others due to the injury but bears similar traits to Olivia and of course a Geelong local (not that Liv Purcell is with the Cats).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back