2023/24 Melbourne Victory Thread - Farrkin’ Paul Izzo!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of the result we finish 3rd on the ladder, a great turn around from last year.
Could end up playing wsw again next week at this rate too.

Regardless of the result we finish 3rd on the ladder, a great turn around from last year.
Could end up playing wsw again next week at this rate too.
As much as this is true its been probably one of our most frustrating seasons. So much potential with this team we should have been challenging for the Premiers Plate or a least finished top two. All them draws really killed our season. Poppa not bringing in a second striker when we had an opportunity too was also a bad decision when we could have had some killer instinct when Bruno was out with the Socceroos and at the time still hunting top spot.

Don't know what to expect for finals, last night's match was hard to dissect we started like a house on fire than just walked the rest of the first half. Got out of the blocks in the second half hit the front look comfortable up until the Wanderers controversial third goal then just let team proceed to dictate the match and they got a winner (with a very nice goal I might add) which to be fair to them they needed to do. Yesterday was just a reflection of our whole season in one match. It kinda would have been fitting for it to end in a draw to be honest just for that cherry on top of such a frustrating season dominated by draws.

Not expecting much in finals knowing poppa we'll probably play for extra-time and pens to get through. I have no confidence in getting a win in next weeks elimination final against either City or the Wanderers let alone a two leg semi against most likely the Nix and having to go to NZL for a final. Just arrr... Frustrating we blew it!

I'm a bit worried about Machach. The most hot and cold player I've seen since Max King! Hopefully he fires up for finals.

Players out of contract this summer

Bruno
Arzani
Brimmer
Ikon
Da Silva
Chapman
Traore
Nigro
Geria

We need another season out of Bruno / Da Silva.

Brimmer is off to Auckland.

Arzan, Geriai & Chapman both need multiyear deals signed. Traore I wouldn't extend, we need a young LB that can play 90% of the season. Nigro is needed for his versatility.

Ikon obviously is a goner.

New signings needed CF x 1 (Daggers equivalent or better) to provide a different option than Bruno who thrives on ball to feet and won't be able to play every week next season if he stays as expected.
CB x 1 to provide competition for Miranda and let Da Silva have a rest when needed
CM x 1 - Bonevacia expected to leave after completing loan. Broxham is retiring leaving as a man short in this area. Brimmer is off to Auckland. A new top class CM alongside promoting a youf CM should do the trick next season.
LB x 1 with Bos as an understudy. Club should get back Lino if possible.

Players out of contract this summer

Bruno
Arzani
Brimmer
Ikon
Da Silva
Chapman
Traore
Nigro
Geria

We need another season out of Bruno / Da Silva.

Brimmer is off to Auckland.

Arzan, Geriai & Chapman both need multiyear deals signed. Traore I wouldn't extend, we need a young LB that can play 90% of the season. Nigro is needed for his versatility.

Ikon obviously is a goner.

New signings needed CF x 1 (Daggers equivalent or better) to provide a different option than Bruno who thrives on ball to feet and won't be able to play every week next season if he stays as expected.
CB x 1 to provide competition for Miranda and let Da Silva have a rest when needed
CM x 1 - Bonevacia expected to leave after completing loan. Broxham is retiring leaving as a man short in this area. Brimmer is off to Auckland. A new top class CM alongside promoting a youf CM should do the trick next season.
LB x 1 with Bos as an understudy. Club should get back Lino if possible.

Agree with all that. And I want a Toivonen type up front.
The kids are kicking butt in the VPL, hopefully some quality rises from there too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonza going down:

This is actually a positive for us. Gets us out of having them as a sponsor (finding a new one is easy) and also likely stops the process of 777 acquiring further shares.

Hopefully 777 sell their 20% stake sooner rather than later now.

We already have Turkish Airlines from next season on to replace Bonza in any case, right?

As much as this is true its been probably one of our most frustrating seasons. So much potential with this team we should have been challenging for the Premiers Plate or a least finished top two. All them draws really killed our season. Poppa not bringing in a second striker when we had an opportunity too was also a bad decision when we could have had some killer instinct when Bruno was out with the Socceroos and at the time still hunting top spot.

Don't know what to expect for finals, last night's match was hard to dissect we started like a house on fire than just walked the rest of the first half. Got out of the blocks in the second half hit the front look comfortable up until the Wanderers controversial third goal then just let team proceed to dictate the match and they got a winner (with a very nice goal I might add) which to be fair to them they needed to do. Yesterday was just a reflection of our whole season in one match. It kinda would have been fitting for it to end in a draw to be honest just for that cherry on top of such a frustrating season dominated by draws.

Not expecting much in finals knowing poppa we'll probably play for extra-time and pens to get through. I have no confidence in getting a win in next weeks elimination final against either City or the Wanderers let alone a two leg semi against most likely the Nix and having to go to NZL for a final. Just arrr... Frustrating we blew it!

Definitely. Either we should have gotten Bruno to turn down the call up to the Asian Cup or we should have signed another CF as we need one anyway with Bruno having one more season left in him. Double whammy was Bruno only played cameos in Qatar and came back out of rhythm / form when he was banging them in for fun before heading off.

Also, the club should have held on to Lino. Adama has been injury prone and likely won't get another contract. Bos is promising but not yet ready to start. Don't know why we could have just said no, you're not going anywhere, we want you to be our starting LB for the next 3-4 years with the understanding we sell him if an offer comes in from Belgium / Netherlands / France / Championship level teams or better.

How good would it be to have Lino as starting LB with Bos as his understudy and / or Geria / Nigro / Chapman to fill in if needed? Instead we now have to recruit another LB. Davidson back again?

And not sure what the Khelifi loan was about. Offered us nothing that we didn't already have. Bonevacia has proved to be a good pickup but we had to wait a month before he could even start and now his loan is up at the end of the finals series. IMO he has earned another contract but his wage demands and his age may provide difficult to overcome especially considering he was playing in the ME. Broxham retiring and Brimmer leaving means a bit of a midfield rebuild is now required.

Next season basically we need:

----------------------Izzzo--------------------

Geria--------Da Silva------New CB----------New LB

---New Mid----------Teague---------Zizou

---Arzani-------New CF/Bruno--------Nish

That's what we need to win the league.

Depth of Bos, Nigro, Chappy, Miranda, Bonevacia, Valadon, Monge, Folami, Bruno/New CF plus some youf would be ideal.

Guys like Adams & Boz - if they can't make the cut now we gotta let em go. If they succeed elsewhere in the A League I am pretty sure we will re-sign them down the track!!

Brimmer & Ikon leaving gives us heaps of room for new player signings.

My question is how do you motivate guys like this for the finals series? Either give them a financial incentive to perform or don't play them at all in the finals.

Ikon played last match like he didn't give a toss, should've been red carded. Brimmer's been off all season, obviously his mind is elsewhere. Very disappointing from both of them, especially after we rehabbed Brimmer.

Last edited:
Brimmer & Ikon leaving gives us heaps of room for new player signings.

My question is how do you motivate guys like this for the finals series? Either give them a financial incentive to perform or don't play them at all in the finals.
You'd think both would be professional and try win a title

Remove this Banner Ad

Back