Preview 2022 Rd 21 Carlton vs Brisbane Sunday August 7 3:20PM @ The Gabba - Team Post #1157

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I just started the melts regarding Setters we’re unfair. Had 12 touches playing on a wing in the first half then had to go to the backline to cover Newman. He hasn’t played there all year and barely at any point in his career.

Will get another game and I think many too quick to dismiss.

It's just that he has no defined role, and excels at nothing. He's just there. He is an extractor by pedigree but he's down the list as far as those go in our team. Maybe he needs a Will Brodie lease on life?

When I'm looking at utility players in our side, I'm looking at Silvagni or Kemp, not Setterfield.

Yeah probably will not good match ups against Bailey, Cameron, McCarthy …
Probably have their talls covered.
Let’s just hope it doesn’t get inside 50 much.

Bailey is a good chance to miss. Went to hospital with a sternum injury. Scans have cleared him of any major damage, but you'd have to think sternum bruising would take a bit to subside. Bloody painful.

It's just that he has no defined role, and excels at nothing. He's just there. He is an extractor by pedigree but he's down the list as far as those go in our team. Maybe he needs a Will Brodie lease on life?

When I'm looking at utility players in our side, I'm looking at Silvagni or Kemp, not Setterfield.

Setterfield can play wing while neither of those can (at least not for a full game). His performance vs GWS was probably the best by one of our wingers all year so think he deserves another go. We had worse players on Saturday night.

Out: Durdin, Kennedy, Newman, Owies, Setterfield
In: Silvagni, Dow, Kemp, Martin, Honey

Plowman Weitering Young
Saad McGovern Docherty

Pittonet Silvagni Walsh
O'Brien Cripps Kemp

Martin Curnow Fisher
Motlop McKay De Koning

Cottrell Dow Cerra Honey

Sub: Newnes

Silvagni as an inside midfielder. Rotation of Cripps, Walsh, JSOS, Cerra, Dow, Fisher.

Fisher, Cottrell, Honey and Martin to rotate between half forward and outside mid positions. Possibly Motlop as well. This should help with any endurance questions.

Kemp to play as a tall winger who can go forward to call a mismatch or back to help out depending on the flow of the game. Could even be the loose man in defence.

Dow, Kemp, Honey and Martin in add varying degrees of pace compared to the outs, with only Durdin quick out of those missing.

I'd give Marchbank another week to stand up without injury before considering bringing him in. Plowman stays for now because we have a defensive matchup for him and he does team things. I hope he has short sleeves and has bruised arms from tackling practice this week.

The two outs are the only areas of conjecture here. Owies out when Durdin is already out will raise eyebrows but he needs a run in the VFL after a month out. Looked way off the pace. We need some pace this week. Same thing with Setterfield. He's an accumulator of sorts but does little to improve transition, hit the scoreboard, break free into space. They probably won't drop him but I'd give Dow a run in a midfield that should be moving much better than last week.
I’d have Honey back in to his stats haven’t been great but has acceleration and top end speed to really create pressure
He regularly causes rushed kicks handballs that are collected by others he also tackles hard
He has Saads ability to reach contests others can’t

I think he’s a chance to be a good solid role playing wingman. He seems to have learnt how to play that well at vfl level. I thought he was good last week and this week ok in the first half. I am keen to see them persist

Looks like the whole team has, probably too big of a training load during the week causing some issues I reckon

It did seem like we were running in cement. Training loads entered my mind.

This team will win. We have depth. Just need to bring the right attitude.

Plowman Young McGoverrn
Docherty Weitering Saad
Setterfield Cripps O’Brien
Martin Curnow Fisher
JSoS McKay Owies
Pittonet Cerra Walsh
DeKoning Dow Motlop Fogarty Cottrell
God those wings are depressing. Hard to see us being a genuine contender until we add to the depth there. I’d personally be looking to push Walsh to the wing full time when we have some of our mids back.

God those wings are depressing. Hard to see us being a genuine contender until we add to the depth there. I’d personally be looking to push Walsh to the wing full time when we have some of our mids back.
Maybe playing Walsh wing and using our half forward...you know...in the forward line might improve having players in the forward half contest instead if consistently kicking to outnumbers and watching the other team waltz it out.

The Walsh hff flank actually playing full time mid thing was great for the first few weeks. Clearly not working now (Walsh clearly played more true mid but they rotated some other forwards through this ultra high half forward role).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Plowman Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Setterfield Cripps O'Brien
HF: Fisher Curnow Honey
F: Owies McKay Silvagni
OB: Pittonett Cerra Walsh
IC: Newnes Dow Cotrell TDK

Out: Newman Kennedy Durdin Motlop
In: Newnes Dow Honey Silvagni

Would have loved to have dumped a few more given performances on Saturday but the reality is that injuries are dictating most the changes.

Plowman, Obrien, Setterfield, Cottrell, Owies, TDK are all lucky to stay in.

The last 2 spots I have between TDK, Motlop, and Cottrell. Left Motlop out more for structural reasons then anything but could easily have been the other 2.

Don't like Newnes playing back but bringing Kemp or Marchbank for Newman would make us super slow and tall in the back half so it's the most like for like change.

B: Plowman Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Setterfield Cripps O'Brien
HF: Fisher Curnow Honey
F: Owies McKay Silvagni
OB: Pittonett Cerra Walsh
IC: Newnes Dow Cotrell TDK

Out: Newman Kennedy Durdin Motlop
In: Newnes Dow Honey Silvagni

Would have loved to have dumped a few more given performances on Saturday but the reality is that injuries are dictating most the changes.

The last 2 spots I have between TDK, Motlop, and Cottrell. Left Motlop out more for structural reasons then anything but could easily have been the other 2.

Don't like Newnes playing back but bringing Kemp or Marchbank for Newman would make us super slow and tall in the back half so it's the most like for like change.

Surely Kemp and Marchbank are at least as quick as Newman. Kemp would be just as agile as well.

Surely Kemp and Marchbank are at least as quick as Newman. Kemp would be just as agile as well.

Probably in a straight line but they don't come across as very agile compared to Newman who plays smaller. I would be concerned with all those taller guys playing when the ball hits the ground. That said, Brisbane do play a tall forward line so if there is a week to try it it is this week.

So would I. He’s the best two way runner of all our mids at the club bar Walsh.

IMO Setterfield, Cottrell, Newnes, LOB, Ed Curnow and Cerra are all better two way runners than Carroll.

This isn’t a criticism of him either as those players have all been in the system far longer than Carroll has been.

The ins/outs will have zero impact on our ability to win this week.

Until we learn to tackle effectively and not with our finger tips (as described on one of the footy shows) we won’t have a chance. Even when we tackle without putting body on body ...not only do the oppo player clear away but our players still seem to fall to ground. this has to be fixed ASAP.

Carlton's 2nd. half of the season has been abysmal after being 7 - 2. Poster's on this board are beginning to rightfully express disappointment, the Freo game stands out like a neon light compared to any of the other performances. Voss talking in circles about an incomplete list is beginning to reminding me of another coaches "green shoots."
When is a clubs list ever complete? Lists are dynamic, constantly changing.
I honestly think Voss is in for the long haul with this group at least medium term.
Quite wisely he at times was despondent with some of the wins emphasizing lack of time together for this group
Which is correct
We are presently where we should be and need to be. The group does need top eight tho...even one elimination game
Just to set the scene for 2023

I thought pitto was quite poor last week, very rusty, and it threw the team balance right out, but they will play both ruckman again id say, silvagni into the guts, and or setterfield
Its a bad injury list at this time of the year unfortunately

Martin would be the type of player who would play well against carlton, that type of player who does sfa most of the year and then has a blinder against us - its a pity for him we dont get to play ourselves
I'm still not convinced we're playing him in the right position.

I've said it before but at the Suns he was a halfback/wing/mid who pinch hit forward. We've only ever played him forward and pinch hit in the middle. Through his career he's had his most impact playing behind the footy or in the contest.

Last edited:
Out: Durdin, Kennedy, Newman, Owies, Setterfield
In: Silvagni, Dow, Kemp, Martin, Honey

Plowman Weitering Young
Saad McGovern Docherty

Pittonet Silvagni Walsh
O'Brien Cripps Kemp

Martin Curnow Fisher
Motlop McKay De Koning

Cottrell Dow Cerra Honey

Sub: Newnes

Silvagni as an inside midfielder. Rotation of Cripps, Walsh, JSOS, Cerra, Dow, Fisher.

Fisher, Cottrell, Honey and Martin to rotate between half forward and outside mid positions. Possibly Motlop as well. This should help with any endurance questions.

Kemp to play as a tall winger who can go forward to call a mismatch or back to help out depending on the flow of the game. Could even be the loose man in defence.

Dow, Kemp, Honey and Martin in add varying degrees of pace compared to the outs, with only Durdin quick out of those missing.

I'd give Marchbank another week to stand up without injury before considering bringing him in. Plowman stays for now because we have a defensive matchup for him and he does team things. I hope he has short sleeves and has bruised arms from tackling practice this week.

The two outs are the only areas of conjecture here. Owies out when Durdin is already out will raise eyebrows but he needs a run in the VFL after a month out. Looked way off the pace. We need some pace this week. Same thing with Setterfield. He's an accumulator of sorts but does little to improve transition, hit the scoreboard, break free into space. They probably won't drop him but I'd give Dow a run in a midfield that should be moving much better than last week.
This list of changes would be pretty daring from the match comm. I doubt it would happen , I'd like to see it tried though.
Be less conservative and bring in some dynamic, game changing players for a trial. And let them off their leashes.
We've got the players to do this, but it would mean altering our game plan occasionally to be less defensive.
Very unlikely.

Last edited:
The ins/outs will have zero impact on our ability to win this week.

Until we learn to tackle effectively and not with our finger tips (as described on one of the footy shows) we won’t have a chance. Even when we tackle without putting body on body ...not only do the oppo player clear away but our players still seem to fall to ground. this has to be fixed ASAP.

Exactly. We will have more than enough talent on the field at the Gabba to win (with 7 All Australian caliber players). We lost to Adelaide because of the effort and execution - we don’t need to bring in world beaters but players who will give it their all. We are more than capable of beating the Lions and if we work hard and play smartly we will win comfortably. Not sure we will but surely the players will respond after a shocking effort last week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back