World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup - Group A - (Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but you called it while he was playing well haha.
I called it before he started playing for Chelsea actually. He just had a good patch and is now back to the keeper that he was. One thing I noted pre him joining was his reactions are great but he tends to parry into danger - that happened tonight. And also he doesn't have great command of his area - same thing. Only thing that didn't really get tested was his feet. Remember he was in a farmers league and Chelsea prevented him from seeing a lot of shots.

I called it before he started playing for Chelsea actually. He just had a good patch and is now back to the keeper that he was. One thing I noted pre him joining was his reactions are great but he tends to parry into danger - that happened tonight. And also he doesn't have great command of his area - same thing. Only thing that didn't really get tested was his feet. Remember he was in a farmers league and Chelsea prevented him from seeing a lot of shots.
He had a purple patch at just the right time and played a big part in winning a UCL. But he'll be playing elsewhere next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great ball from FDJ and a great header from Gakpo.

What on Earth was Mendy for both goals? Horrific.

Yeah, Mendy was at fault for both goals.

It was a good game between two competent teams but I suspect neither side has the forward threat to go beyond the quarters. Van Dijk seems to have gone backwards. De Ligt struggled against Sarr.

De Jong was interesting. He was linking the defence to the attack with passes. He made driving runs forward. He stepped in to defend at crucial moments. But he also gave the ball away a few times in dangerous areas.

Overall, the Dutch team lacked the creativity and slick link play that's made them dangerous in the lead up - a bit disappointing.

Though Senegal as the African champions should be respected.

Still, hoped to see more in order to go deep in the tournament.

A bit too Frenkie reliant this game.

But got the result at least and thought Noppert (GK) was good on debut when called upon. Depay getting some minutes was also a huge positive as he tends to grow an extra leg for the National side and had been banging them in the qualifiers/nation's league/etc. His complete lack of football/fitness due to injury remains a big worry for how impactful he will be though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back