List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

THIS, agree 100%...although you never know. I'm hoping for some surprises.
I also think a run in the big league now and then gives them that taste, know what level they need to be playing at and to work harder to not just get in the starting 22 but to hold their position.

A week ago l was in the same camp, but thought what if Max goes down or Hayes does another knee and so on. I don't mean as a best 22 player.

If they want a back up tall, then you go for someone who might have a future. Just going for Paddy is pointless.

We already have Campbell on the list as back-up.

If someone goes down with a season ending injury there is always the mid season draft.

I see 2023 not so much about winning the flag next year, but rather it being a years to set us up to really move forward from 2024 on.

I hope we play a good batch of our younger players every game in order to pump some games into them. Hopefully Poo gets brace of games as well. Ottons also looks ok to get some games just to let him know what AFL level is all about.

Last edited:
I liked Stocker a lot in his draft year, and he’s one of “us” being a Saints supporter…

But playing devil’s advocate, do we need him?

What’s his point of difference from Steele, Ross, Crouch, Gresham, Windhager, Owens, Bytel, Byrnes, and now Phillipou and Hotton?
He’s Stockers draft profile.
With Lenny, Harvs and BJ, I’m sure they will be able to lift his game.

I can't believe how much Hawthorn have given up with very little to show for it

O'Meara, Mitchell, 27, F2, F3

You'd think they would have had a massive draft haul, instead it just looks like an average draft for them
I’m no Dorks supporter, but they didn’t overall do to bad. They ended up with:
Cam Mackenzie P7,
Joshua Weddle P18,
Henry Hustwaite 37,
Jack O’Sullivan 46,
Bailey Macdonald 51

Plus they also pick up
Lloyd Meek
Karl Amon
Cooper Stevens
Fergus Greene

Not too bad of a draft haul to prepare with leading into 2023.

I’m no Dorks supporter, but they didn’t overall do to bad. They ended up with:
Cam Mackenzie P7,
Joshua Weddle P18,
Henry Hustwaite 37,
Jack O’Sullivan 46,
Bailey Macdonald 51

Plus they also pick up
Lloyd Meek
Karl Amon
Cooper Stevens
Fergus Greene

Not too bad of a draft haul to prepare with leading into 2023.
You need to compare it to what also went out the door though, which was a lot

So what the hell are we supposed to do now? Like most Melbourne lads back in the seventies I was big into the Saints in winter and the cricket in summer. Footy was always my fave, but at least back then the cricket was reasonably entertaining, well, enough to pass the summertime a bit faster to bring us back to the footy season anyway.

Over the years the cricket just lost me. Probably a combination of factors (growing up a bit and discovering sex and drugs and rock'n'roll was a big one!) I think one of the main reasons was that over time I thought a lot of the team were a bunch of w@nkers. I could never stand Ricky Ponting or Glenn McGrath or Steve Waugh. I still can't. Warnie held the last candle, but even towards the end of his career I didn't give a sh!t anymore.

Fast forward a few years and a whole new pile of crapola coming to a head with frickin sandpaper gate, all the infighting between players past and current, the whole Langer debacle, no wonder there was the lowest ever crowd at the 'G for an ODI against England a couple of weeks ago. I reckon cricket is in trouble.

These days with a plethora of viewing options for a multitude of world sports and a bit of time available to fill the footy sized hole, I'm still about to cancel my kayo account until next year's footy season starts because nothing has been able to grab me and keep hold of me except the footy.

The more I write the more I realise there's no real point I'm making, just a ramble brought on by a morning spliff and a short black 😄. At least from here on in its really only three months till we're in the thick of the footy again, and what we've done over the last two months has me absolutely pumped for what we can do next year.

So with three months to fill, a little spring in my step as a Saints fan and today the first day of summer, I think I might just go outside more. A little less time on a device and a bit more time smelling the proverbial roses, all the while knowing the players and coaches are putting the work in to give us a hugely entertaining 2023.

Don’t know if it has been mentioned but what we have taken in the last two drafts, wreaks of the classes of ‘95 & ‘96. Would love to see this team of young guys forging a bond together & taking us to the GF in 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what the hell are we supposed to do now? Like most Melbourne lads back in the seventies I was big into the Saints in winter and the cricket in summer. Footy was always my fave, but at least back then the cricket was reasonably entertaining, well, enough to pass the summertime a bit faster to bring us back to the footy season anyway.

Over the years the cricket just lost me. Probably a combination of factors (growing up a bit and discovering sex and drugs and rock'n'roll was a big one!) I think one of the main reasons was that over time I thought a lot of the team were a bunch of w@nkers. I could never stand Ricky Ponting or Glenn McGrath or Steve Waugh. I still can't. Warnie held the last candle, but even towards the end of his career I didn't give a sh!t anymore.

Fast forward a few years and a whole new pile of crapola coming to a head with frickin sandpaper gate, all the infighting between players past and current, the whole Langer debacle, no wonder there was the lowest ever crowd at the 'G for an ODI against England a couple of weeks ago. I reckon cricket is in trouble.

These days with a plethora of viewing options for a multitude of world sports and a bit of time available to fill the footy sized hole, I'm still about to cancel my kayo account until next year's footy season starts because nothing has been able to grab me and keep hold of me except the footy.

The more I write the more I realise there's no real point I'm making, just a ramble brought on by a morning spliff and a short black 😄. At least from here on in its really only three months till we're in the thick of the footy again, and what we've done over the last two months has me absolutely pumped for what we can do next year.

So with three months to fill, a little spring in my step as a Saints fan and today the first day of summer, I think I might just go outside more. A little less time on a device and a bit more time smelling the proverbial roses, all the while knowing the players and coaches are putting the work in to give us a hugely entertaining 2023.
What a great post - deserves more than a thumbs up. I think I will become a regular attendee once a week at training to get my footy fix over the off season. Cricket can get stuffed. Taking the friggin knee ffs

Don’t know if it has been mentioned but what we have taken in the last two drafts, wreaks of the classes of ‘95 & ‘96. Would love to see this team of young guys forging a bond together & taking us to the GF in 2024.

Man I still remember that first pre-season we had Brown, Jones, Smith, Young, Traianidis, Niell... endless hope after Plugger went.

I can't believe how much Hawthorn have given up with very little to show for it

O'Meara, Mitchell, 27, F2, F3

You'd think they would have had a massive draft haul, instead it just looks like an average draft for them
Got to remember they also got Stephens and meek as part of all that

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

If they want a back up tall, then you go for someone who might have a future. Just going for Paddy is pointless.

We already have Campbell on the list as back-up.

If someone goes down with a season ending injury there is always the mid season draft.

I see 2023 not so much about winning the flag next year, but rather it being a years to set us up to really move forward from 2024 on.

I hope we play a good batch of our younger players every game in order to pump some games into them. Hopefully Poo gets brace of games as well. Ottons also looks ok to get some games just to let him know what AFL level is all about.

Ethan Phillips would be perfect. I can't believe that nobody picked him, he just won the best player in the VFL award and watching him play he looked easily as good as Sam Collins. Sandringham pretty much played Ethan Phillips when we played them. He's the best interceptor I've seen outside the AFL. Looks like he has that Stewart/May type of read of the ball.

Got to remember they also got Stephens and meek as part of all that

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still looks very ordinary trading. That's the sort of s**t that we used to do and got us nowhere fast. We'd try to speed up the rebuild by trading for semi developed or injured guys and trading out of future drafts. If their recruiter has a few bad years, they could be in a world of pain. Probably already getting close to the worst list now, maybe WCE getting close too.

Think the AFL need to change the name of the Rookie Draft .
Isn't the meaning of rookie.
New or inexperienced.
Had to look up the Dictionary to see if recycled was included in the meaning of the word

Ethan Phillips would be perfect. I can't believe that nobody picked him, he just won the best player in the VFL award and watching him play he looked easily as good as Sam Collins. Sandringham pretty much played Ethan Phillips when we played them. He's the best interceptor I've seen outside the AFL. Looks like he has that Stewart/May type of read of the ball.
There were heaps of KPD in this draft. Probs just not the right team with right pick.

Voyager I think is part of the star trek franchise.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back