Memberships 2021 St.Kilda Membership Thread (FINAL TALLY - 55,832)

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately that gap is likely to be much smaller next year. But it won't be due to them gaining numbers. I worry about a drop-off in ours. It's inevitable given our underperforming season, so the hope is some key off-season moves will limit it's impact.
It's more likely we gain members than lose them.

Ok. I'll bite.
On what planet is it MORE likely we gain members as opposed to losing them? Are you saying 2022 tally will be higher than 2021?
Yep that's exactly what I'm saying, you can check back through the discussion yesterday so you can understand why.

Losing members from one year to the next has only happened once in the last five seasons, and in years that you would expect it to drop it's actually done the complete opposite. After our horror 2019 with Richardson at the helm, we increased membership by 6,000 for 2020 - which also had its own struggles due to COVID and no crowds. So a horror year and nobody able to attend games and we increase by our biggest amount since we last played in a Grand Final.

Then we make the finals for the first time in 9 years and increase membership by 6,500 for 2021 - another year with no crowds and uncertainty.

And before we run with the "People would've signed up before we knew if we could attend games" that's obviously true but what people fail to point out is that we generally increase by roughly 5-10,000 after the new year. March 6th, 2020 we had 42,000 members. 5 days later the AFL said no crowds. We went on to increase from that point by 6,000 - all knowing they wouldn't be able to attend games.

This narrative that a bad year means we lose members is just wrong, it probably needs to be put to rest. We've had worse years and increased by more than we did when we were playing in Grand Finals.

I've been debating this with people on here for years, and they don't seem to grasp it. Check back through the recent history of our membership, what we know from the numbers is that we are resilient and loyal supporters that stick by their club.

Unfortunately that gap is likely to be much smaller next year. But it won't be due to them gaining numbers. I worry about a drop-off in ours. It's inevitable given our underperforming season, so the hope is some key off-season moves will limit it's impact.

I’m not sure though. Our biggest surge in numbers appeared to be earlier in the season when we were really playing rubbish.
I think most people will see how we’ve struggled on the injury front and the crappy draw. Obviously the off season will be important, but I think, whilst we may not grow more next season, we’d be likely to hold a pretty similar number.

I’m not sure though. Our biggest surge in numbers appeared to be earlier in the season when we were really playing rubbish.
I think most people will see how we’ve struggled on the injury front and the crappy draw. Obviously the off season will be important, but I think, whilst we may not grow more next season, we’d be likely to hold a pretty similar number.
You're probably more accurate by saying hold as opposed to my initial prediction of lose.

I'm doing a bit of research re: George's figures as I have a theory but want to prove it first.

I think we increase again in 2022 because deep down I reckon good St.Kilda or bad St.Kilda, the supporters just want to support a St.Kilda.
I think so.
I talked tough and got myself taken off the EasyPay (the rollover thing) as a protest to the onfield results, I think it was the Adelaide game when I sent the email, but I'll sign up again. What else am I gonna do?

I think so.
I talked tough and got myself taken off the EasyPay (the rollover thing) as a protest to the onfield results, I think it was the Adelaide game when I sent the email, but I'll sign up again. What else am I gonna do?

The roll over is genius. I meant to cancel two of our memberships for about 4 years and kept forgetting before the first deposit came out.

I think so.
You'll sign up again and you'll damn well like it

You've also got to factor in that we are all suckers so by January next year we will all feel sorry for the club again and think our list is back to premiership contention. They are like a partner you are trying to break up with but don't have the courage to say so you stick with them.

You've also got to factor in that we are all suckers so by January next year we will all feel sorry for the club again and think our list is back to premiership contention. They are like a partner you are trying to break up with but don't have the courage to say so you stick with them.
yes, i'm a battered housewife

Current Membership Tally (06/08/2021):

This Time Last Year (05/08/2020):

Difference:
+7,027

All-Time Tally;

1. 55,802 (2021)
2. 48,775 (2020)
3. 45,678 (2018)
4. 42,910 (2019)
5. 42,094 (2017)

Difference:
+7,050

All-Time Tally;

1. 55,802 (2021)
2. 48,775 (2020)
3. 45,678 (2018)
4. 42,910 (2019)
5. 42,094 (2017)

So the takeaway from the two Twitter announcements is that the AFL number is exclusive of the AFLW number?
If so, I’m more than impressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're 9,000 members ahead of the Dogs

That is just extraordinary. The Bulldogs are flying and we are battling.

Does it tell us that we are something of a sleeping giant, or that the Bulldogs has a much smaller supporter base than we thought?

I suspect it is a bit of both.

Yeah, it's possible that it doesn't have the impact that I'm predicting but I think it's quite a different feel to last year. For whatever reason, there was a strong sense of optimism at the end of last year that things would get back to relative normality this year. I think a second year running of crowdless games will put a major hurdle compared to last season. Perhaps things will change once vaccination rates increase. It's all guesswork, but the sentiment from Saints fans is quite different now to this time last year. A strong season last year overrode most anxieties fans had about crowds. Considering how poor this year has been, I expect there will a far bigger wait and see approach when it comes to memberships. I'm not necessarily saying I expect memberships to plummet below 50k, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I could be wrong and hope I am though.

By Christmas everyone who wants to be vaccinated will be. Then COVID will be an epidemic for the unvaccinated. The economy and society will open up again.

The last 2 years have been awful for everyone, the fact that our membership growth has been strong is an amazing achievement. It shows that our supporter base is loyal, substantial and reconnecting after the heartbreaks of 2004-11.

I think we’ll hit 60,000 next year.

Difference:
+7,050

All-Time Tally;

1. 55,802 (2021)
2. 48,775 (2020)
3. 45,678 (2018)
4. 42,910 (2019)
5. 42,094 (2017)

The other thing to point out is that this growth is 25k or 85% over Finnis’s tenure. Which as I indicated in another thread, is a top four or top two performance (depending on whether you take the absolute or relative change).

Something other than win/loss explains that.
Given we’ve been crap over nearly the whole period.

If we’re talking about growth, there’s really only a couple of ways to get it.

The first being: Growth within existing markets.
But you’d figure that would be subject to the law of diminishing returns given clubs have been hammering away at these markets for decades.
So why would people be suddenly motivated to be members in these core markets when performance is unchanged?

And the second way is: Growth in new or under serviced markets.

Like Hawthorn and their performance in Tasmania.
I forget the exact figures but they have in excess of 10k Tasmanian members, members they didn’t have ten years ago.
With due respect, I cannot see Cairns, Shanghai or even NZ providing an arguable increase in our membership. Now or ever.

But of course, new markets are not only defined by geography.
New markets can also be defined by demographics.

We are into the fifth year of a marketing push into the gay market.
What’s the gay population of Melbourne?
500k?
I’ve no idea, but if it is of that ilk, it doesn’t take too much imagination to realise the potential growth opportunity it represents.
Given the past locker room thinking and homophobic slurs that this market endured, a smart reaching out to the gay community might well result in interest, and commitment, by those who enjoy AFL but have been deterred by the locker room or the homophobia.
In other words, we celebrate the Pride Game not because Finnis is woke, but because he is a smart cookie and it allows us to reach out to a new under serviced market.

And I think Finnis is a smart cookie.

Does it tell us that we are something of a sleeping giant, or that the Bulldogs has a much smaller supporter base than we thought?

It tells us that the AFL gave the wrong single-premiership club an armchair ride to a flag

*ducks head*

Is it because the kids who were on board our exciting run from 2004-10 are now young adults with their own earning capacity ?.

I read an article the other day that postured Hawthorn’s current large membership is stacked with 40-60 year olds with disposable income who grew up during the Hawks golden run of the 80’s and 90’s.

Would love to see the detailed demographics of our membership.

Is it because the kids who were on board our exciting run from 2004-10 are now young adults with their own earning capacity ?.

I read an article the other day that postured Hawthorn’s current large membership is stacked with 40-60 year olds with disposable income who grew up during the Hawks golden run of the 80’s and 90’s.

I suspect that what you mention in your first sentence would carry a lot of weight.

I often wonder how many kids from that era would now be working adults and following/supporting the club.

In that era......we were getting huge home game crowds most seasons.

It is why it's so crucial that we start consistently featuring in the 8 every year from here on.

You just can't help but wonder where the club would be right now if we'd jagged a flag in either 09 or 10.

Hey, that's me!

The other thing to point out is that this growth is 25k or 85% over Finnis’s tenure. Which as I indicated in another thread, is a top four or top two performance (depending on whether you take the absolute or relative change).

Something other than win/loss explains that.
Given we’ve been crap over nearly the whole period.

If we’re talking about growth, there’s really only a couple of ways to get it.

The first being: Growth within existing markets.
But you’d figure that would be subject to the law of diminishing returns given clubs have been hammering away at these markets for decades.
So why would people be suddenly motivated to be members in these core markets when performance is unchanged?

And the second way is: Growth in new or under serviced markets.

Like Hawthorn and their performance in Tasmania.
I forget the exact figures but they have in excess of 10k Tasmanian members, members they didn’t have ten years ago.
With due respect, I cannot see Cairns, Shanghai or even NZ providing an arguable increase in our membership. Now or ever.

But of course, new markets are not only defined by geography.
New markets can also be defined by demographics.

We are into the fifth year of a marketing push into the gay market.
What’s the gay population of Melbourne?
500k?
I’ve no idea, but if it is of that ilk, it doesn’t take too much imagination to realise the potential growth opportunity it represents.
Given the past locker room thinking and homophobic slurs that this market endured, a smart reaching out to the gay community might well result in interest, and commitment, by those who enjoy AFL but have been deterred by the locker room or the homophobia.
In other words, we celebrate the Pride Game not because Finnis is woke, but because he is a smart cookie and it allows us to reach out to a new under serviced market.

And I think Finnis is a smart cookie.
Need
To play a game in Mount Isa!!!!!!

I suggest everyone take a few minutes to do the latest members survey. A good chance to give the club your thoughts on where it’s at and the value in being a member. They had some multiple choice questions that makes it clear they know what members are feeling this year.
Good stuff.
Do you think they're ready for some honest feedback?

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back