Analysis 2021 Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

My point is i have no doubt that jack would not put himself before the club or clubs future.

Jack is a borderline best 22 player in 2021.

You can't be a borderline best 22 player AND captain. It puts the club in a compromising position and opens them up to all sorts of criticism and speculation over his position during the season.

If he takes on the captaincy in 2021 he's already done that imo.

They are a conflict of interest.

What was the stat on Coniglio this year? The first captain of an AFL side to be dropped in 30 years?

It just doesn't happen and is a bad reflection on the judgement of the coaching and playing group who appointed him for the season.
What you where referring to was Jack will not want to give up the captaincy in case he does not or will not get a game. I am 100% confident that would not even cross his mind. Its always club 1st with him.

You can't be a borderline best 22 player AND captain. It puts the club in a compromising position and opens them up to all sorts of criticism and speculation over his position during the season.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see what Noble thinks. I am sure Jack will do whats best for the team like always.

What you where referring to was Jack will not want to give up the captaincy in case he does not or will not get a game. I am 100% confident that would not even cross his mind. Its always club 1st with him.

If Jack is anywhere near the bottom 6 players on the team sheet each week, he shouldn't be captain.

He doesn't have a role in midfield considering Higgo was twice the midfielder Jack was over the previous 2 seasons and we shoehorned him onto a wing and then traded him.

We also have arguably one of the best groups of young medium forwards in the entire league and ALOT of them. Pretty much the only other position Jack has played at the moment to any effect.

I'd love if he could transition into a defender or something, but I just don't think he has the leg speed for it. If you go to ground as a defender like he does as a midfielder, you just concede goals like a sieve.

If he takes on the captaincy it will be because Noble and co want him to be. He does not pick himself to be captain.

Ok.

However Jack needs to not be captain so no one at the has to take the decision to drop the captain because it's clear as dogs balls that he cannot be out there.

Jack needs to do 2 things

1) get as fit as he's ever been this preseason

2) show us he still has it.

Not a single person at North wants to watch Jack f***ing Ziebell kicking around the corner from 25 out.

If he's doing that the pressure is getting to him and it has clearly affected his confidence. Release that pressure and give him a clearer run at it.

Go all in for the late career renaissance.

I would prefer Jy longer term.

Taz probably deserves a shot.

I think we're being conditioned for LMac, entirely possible in the hub he was a lot of things to a lot of people and that was reflected Syd Barker night.

I'd prefer if he'd had two high quality years in a row. Is what it is let's hope he steps into it and it drives him harder.

If Jack is anywhere near the bottom 6 players on the team sheet each week, he shouldn't be captain.

He doesn't have a role in midfield considering Higgo was twice the midfielder Jack was over the previous 2 seasons and we shoehorned him onto a wing and then traded him.

We also have arguably one of the best groups of young medium forwards in the entire league and ALOT of them. Pretty much the only other position Jack has played at the moment to any effect.

I'd love if he could transition into a defender or something, but I just don't think he has the leg speed for it. If you go to ground as a defender like he does as a midfielder, you just concede goals like a sieve.
Dont get me wrong i can see your point and they are valid but my point is like i said Jack will always put the team first. If the committee said Jack your no longer captain i am sure it will not be a problem. If they drop him he will say fine i am going to work even harder and get back in the team. If they say Jack we think its time to hang them up he will say fine and walk out with his head held high.

If he takes on the captaincy it will be because Noble and co want him to be. He does not pick himself to be captain.

You also have to put yourself forward.

He should look at the bloke who relinquished it to him in the first place as an example of a man who was absolutely team first and a quality North Melbourne captain.

He knew his time was up, he knew he was borderline best 22, he was actually younger than Jack was now, he also knew he was coming into the last year of his contract the year he gave it up.

He "retired"/was delisted 12 months after giving up the captaincy and was out of the game at 30 with arguably more to offer than Jack probably has shown over the last 18 months.

Jack should look at Andrew Swallow as a model of what is required in the situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should look at the bloke who relinquished it to him in the first place as an example of a man who was absolutely team first and a quality North Melbourne captain.

He knew his time was up, he knew he was borderline best 22, he was actually younger than Jack was now, he also knew he was coming into the last year of his contract the year he gave it up.

He "retired"/was delisted 12 months after giving up the captaincy and was out of the game at 30 with arguably more to offer than Jack probably has shown over the last 18 months.

Jack should look at Andrew Swallow as a model of what is required in the situation.

so simple question do you think he is team first or do you think he thinks of himself 1st.

Goldy deserves to get a look in, for his loyalty. Even just for a year or two, then Luke McDonald.

Taz doesn't like like the game-day s**t, with all the interviews and blah blah that goes with it. Very intense character, which is fair enough.

Great post. Agree with every word of it.

Taz given a year or two to handover.

He deserves it and think he'd thrive with it.

LMac and Jy Deputies.

Jack and Cunners to focus on health back to 100%, lead by example without the formal pressure.

Ben Brown

First six of those 18 months (ie 2019 season) saw him get 10 brownlow votes, a career high. I know it ain't what it used to be but s**t players don't get votes. You have to get umpires attention with good footy, even if they are looking for you.

Ben Brown
I realise you posted this a while ago, but still too soon :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back