MRP / Trib. 2020 MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a fine. You should not tackle that way. Period.
Happens weekly, Gibbons copped a chicken wing last week

I don't like the action. I never have; it's one thing to pin the arm and prevent the handpass, it's completely another to lock it behind you and a) prevent you from breaking your own fall, or b) accidentally overextending your shoulder, resulting in an muscle injury. But this is not Fisher's fault; it's the AFL's, for allowing Cyril to pioneer this kind of tackling, for making it ubiquitous.

Ultimately, they should be banning the action but they won't, just like they won't fix many of the things that are wrong.

I don't like the action. I never have; it's one thing to pin the arm and prevent the handpass, it's completely another to lock it behind you and a) prevent you from breaking your own fall, or b) accidentally overextending your shoulder, resulting in an muscle injury. But this is not Fisher's fault; it's the AFL's, for allowing Cyril to pioneer this kind of tackling, for making it ubiquitous.

Ultimately, they should be banning the action but they won't, just like they won't fix many of the things that are wrong.
Aaron Davey was first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else that's not shocked to be sitting here after The sniper from Punt road gets a slap ..
Was never getting suspended, neither will Hawkins.

Figures that both Grimes and Vlastuin would get off. AFL don't want to go nuts on diving; it'd expose them to too much scrutiny.
Good club discount

Probably don’t want to feed the trolls either.

Once again the AFL have kicked the can down the road and will have to deal with a much more serious incident later.

Probably don’t want to feed the trolls either.

Once again the AFL have kicked the can down the road and will have to deal with a much more serious incident later.

See the way I see it, by going soft on Grimes and Vlaustin, the AFL is only going to encourage more trolling with a soft approach to players who dive/stage for frees..

See the way I see it, by going soft on Grimes and Vlaustin, the AFL is only going to encourage more trolling with a soft approach to players who dive/stage for frees..
Possibly thinking a fine for staging proves their guilt and the trolls feel justified.

I suppose, should the AFL come out at the end of the season and state that diving is genuinely against the ethos of the AFL, and put in place cumulative suspensions for players who do it, this kind of sanction can be excused.

In this instance, the optics of fining the two players - given the Essendon board on BF is adamantly both a) 'If there's death threats, that's not on', but also b) 'I saw the thread on twitter, there wasn't any death threats in there! Should've asked for evidence!' - would not have been good, either for the players or for the AFL. Players Association would've kicked over a hornet's nest, and they'd almost be quite right to.

We as supporters need to get in the ear of the rules committee somehow. They put these ridiculous laws in place, so let's lobby them to legislate against staging.

I suppose, should the AFL come out at the end of the season and state that diving is genuinely against the ethos of the AFL, and put in place cumulative suspensions for players who do it, this kind of sanction can be excused.

In this instance, the optics of fining the two players - given the Essendon board on BF is adamantly both a) 'If there's death threats, that's not on', but also b) 'I saw the thread on twitter, there wasn't any death threats in there! Should've asked for evidence!' - would not have been good, either for the players or for the AFL. Players Association would've kicked over a hornet's nest, and they'd almost be quite right to.

We as supporters need to get in the ear of the rules committee somehow. They put these ridiculous laws in place, so let's lobby them to legislate against staging.
Sign me up, it is a blight on the game and a source of angst towards the umpires who fall for it time and again because they don’t want to miss the one time it is genuine.

Possibly thinking a fine for staging proves their guilt and the trolls feel justified.

At any rate, nothing can justify trolls threatening Grimes and his family or any other player.

I do think the AFL and Rules committee have to show more leadership about diving/staging than what they have done so thus far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back