2019 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would we gain by holding two players who didn’t want to be at the club and your mob must start asking questions to why Brockley wouldn’t even go back to the lions when he was on the move again? And Local Footy nerd I hope you pulled your coach into line it was very embarrassing to watch but then again, that’s the type of behaviour the club is renowned for and obviously accepts..

Went to Thurgoona on sat and Kiewa don’t look anything like a premiership side, I think it’s down to 3 for a premiership race.

Rambles what’s happening down your way should there be a coaching change or something at Rutherglen...

Wuhgunyah look like they need a complete overhaul to survive...

Why wouldn’t you try and convince two quality players to stay? Maybe not for this years sake but the years to come. Already behind the eightball for next season & makes recruiting especially hard for next season.

Anyone heard anymore about Bullioh entering the competition, apparently going very hard at Jayden Kotzur for next year.
Personally I can’t see it bettering the comp at all, just add another battler to the ranks.

Why wouldn’t you try and convince two quality players to stay? Maybe not for this years sake but the years to come. Already behind the eightball for next season & makes recruiting especially hard for next season.

When you say "battler" in what terms? Senior level? Or junior level?
Anyone heard anymore about Bullioh entering the competition, apparently going very hard at Jayden Kotzur for next year.
Personally I can’t see it bettering the comp at all, just add another battler to the ranks.

What's everyone's thoughts on the UM pushing towards a move to the Tallangatta League. I believe it will be interesting how it all plays out with the fact AFL NEB will play a large part in the negotiations from each league. The trip from the Lions Den to Corryong will be massive for juniors....
Pushing the UM/TDFL to the side, i think it creates a dour picture for the future in all leagues throughout North East Victoria, as time passes junior participants continue to drop and teams futures will become clearer.. How can we as a local areas safe guard against the collapsing of clubs and merging?

What's everyone's thoughts on the UM pushing towards a move to the Tallangatta League. I believe it will be interesting how it all plays out with the fact AFL NEB will play a large part in the negotiations from each league. The trip from the Lions Den to Corryong will be massive for juniors....
Pushing the UM/TDFL to the side, i think it creates a dour picture for the future in all leagues throughout North East Victoria, as time passes junior participants continue to drop and teams futures will become clearer.. How can we as a local areas safe guard against the collapsing of clubs and merging?
Footy is definitely losing its shine but there’s not lots we can do about declining kids numbers playing footy in the Upper Murray. The issue is that there just isn’t the same amount of families on farms any more. A merger isn’t just sensible but it’s mathematically the right thing to do. There are less participants available so the teams need to be reduced.
I would love to see a merged Upper Murray team bring some interest back to the locals who may have dropped off in recent years.

Yeah the upper merger is a must for footy in our area. If they get there act together they would be pushing for a top 5 spot in every grade. Bullioh is a strange one as it is an hour from Corryong and they will never survive alone in the tdfl. #UPPERMURRYEAGLES
This is probably a conversation for the umfl forum and its just my personal opinion but bullioh doesn’t fit into an upper Murray combined side. We expect the Corryong based clubs to put rivalries and the passion for their own respective clubs aside (which must happen to keep footy relevant in the area) but to then have games played and maybe training nights had outside the actual upper Murray region to appease bullioh in a proposed merger? Won’t work. In a perfect situation it would be a merger combination of Federal Corryong walwa and cudgewa. I feel for Tumbarumba and bullioh in this situation but I don’t know how it works with them involved.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peoples thoughts on a bullioh & wod saints merger and play at Bethanga?
Or even Bullioh and Tallangatta?
With a couple extra teams in the competition would there be to many?
Will be an interesting off season for sure

I don’t mind that idea. More volunteers and less strain on playing personnel.

Why would they play at tallangatta?

Bullioh are way ahead of themselves if they think as a stand alone club they would be competitive in the TDFL.
Good on them for wanting to step up but how many of their players would hang around if they actually went to a better standard of footy?

The Bullioh Club have done an amazing job turning themselves into such a professional outfit. Well done to all involved.
Personally though I think they should be forced (I know that won’t happen) to merge with Tallangatta.
Bullioh isn’t a town and has no shop, pub or school and draws the biggest chunk of its players from other clubs.
The struggles that leagues are having is because there is too many clubs and not enough players so merging makes sense.
If Corryong, Federals, Cudgewa and Border Walwa merged then that combination would only need 80 odd players to fill four grades in the TDFL rather than the 240+they need now to fill 3 grades each in the Upper Murray.
If a Bullioh and Tallangatta merger occurred then that would mean another 60 less players would be required. The combined total of 220 less players required would ease the pressure on the District enormously and the excess would filter back through other clubs meaning everyone wins.
If the same thing happened in the Rutherglen, Wahgunyah, Corowa District then it could be even better again. There would also be more obvious suggestions.
Football supporters would still have football to follow. There is no better example at present than Brock Burrum in the Hume League who are a real destination club at the moment. Supporters and volunteers are engaged because they share the workload more and players love it. 3 premierships in the last few years is testament to the benefits.

A lot of this is hypothetical but i believe this would be the best option for football in North East Victoria. Will we be having these same conversations in the next 20-30 years again with Barnawartha /Chiltern, Yackandandah/Beechworth, Rutherglen/Wag/Corowa. The landscape is changing in the local area and the fight between sports is killing our great game not to mention the concept of video games and the lure of XBOX for our next generation. Clubs now have two months to make some sort of commitment for 2020.

The Bullioh Club have done an amazing job turning themselves into such a professional outfit. Well done to all involved.
Personally though I think they should be forced (I know that won’t happen) to merge with Tallangatta.
Bullioh isn’t a town and has no shop, pub or school and draws the biggest chunk of its players from other clubs.
The struggles that leagues are having is because there is too many clubs and not enough players so merging makes sense.
If Corryong, Federals, Cudgewa and Border Walwa merged then that combination would only need 80 odd players to fill four grades in the TDFL rather than the 240+they need now to fill 3 grades each in the Upper Murray.
If a Bullioh and Tallangatta merger occurred then that would mean another 60 less players would be required. The combined total of 220 less players required would ease the pressure on the District enormously and the excess would filter back through other clubs meaning everyone wins.
If the same thing happened in the Rutherglen, Wahgunyah, Corowa District then it could be even better again. There would also be more obvious suggestions.
Football supporters would still have football to follow. There is no better example at present than Brock Burrum in the Hume League who are a real destination club at the moment. Supporters and volunteers are engaged because they share the workload more and players love it. 3 premierships in the last few years is testament to the benefits.

You do realise that Bullioh and Tallangatta merged previously back in the late 70s and became Tallangatta Valley Football Club.
Then Bullioh wanted their own club back and re-formed in 2001, and this caused a lot of strain on the Tallangatta club.
Neither club would want to merge, and Tallangatta is strong enough on it's own so there is no reason for it to merge, and shouldn't be made to merge again with a club that didn't want to be a part of it back in 2001.
Bullioh merging with Wodonga Saints and playing at Bethanga/Bullioh might be an option, but the jump in standard from Upper Murray to Tallangatta league finals is huge.
Bullioh is only a 45-50 minute drive from Wodonga

Interesting discussion regarding the Upper Murray teams. Will soon see how it all pans out!

Who everyone’s tips this weekend?
Thurgoona or Barny?
Is the top 5 set?

Top 5 is set. Kiewa/barny grand final barring injuries!!
A combined upper Murray side would play finals. Stand alone clubs not a chance.

Top 5 is set. Kiewa/barny grand final barring injuries!!
A combined upper Murray side would play finals. Stand alone clubs not a chance.
Agree top 5 is set not sure about KSC making grand final. What I am hearing Kiewa are done and some players not that happy. I think Thurgoona Barny gf but like you said a lot depends on injury’s and if Chiltern get all there injured players back they could win especially if Whitehead and Doolan turn it on

What have you heard about Kiewa Greyhorse? How many injured blokes have chiltern got out? Think most clubs would have injuries wouldn't they? I know tallangatta have had injured blokes throughout the year. Full side they'd be top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back