Resource 2019 Leadership Group

Remove this Banner Ad

Selwood has already captained the Cats a record 162 times, including 12 finals as skipper. He surpassed Reg Hickey’s record as longest serving Geelong captain early last season, and will enter his eighth season as the Cats on-field leader. Selwood has captained Geelong in 59.6% of the games he has played since entering the AFL in 2007.

That's a fantastic effort from the captain

Also congratulations to Blicavs on his elevation to VC alongside Danger

Great recognition for Stewart to find himself in the PLG for the first time.

Also would seem pretty significant that of the 7 players in the leadership group, that 4 of them are from our backline - the misfits becoming the leaders of the club

I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkins didn't put his hand up for a spot - he had been the leadership group for a few years and then opted to stand down ahead of the season launch last year.

Maybe he decided that 2018 had been a really good season for him, so why change things by going back to the leadership group. Keep things a little bit simpler and focus on his game - that won't stop him from being a leader, he just doesn't need to attend extra meetings and stuff

“I’ll do the job if I’m the right person for it,” he said,

“As I’ve said before a couple of times, I’ve put it up (for discussion) each year that I’ve done it, and that’s the way that is should be.
“We go through the same program every year since I’ve been here, and (football boss) Simon Lloyd can choose that his way now.
“I’ll do it for this year and see what happens in years to come.”...

...“Tom Hawkins, Gaz (Gary Ablett), who’s been a leader at another club, and Scoot (Scott Selwood) who’s been vice-captain (at West Coast) and in the leadership group here are going to sit outside (the leadership group), but they’re going to lead the club as well as what the guys are behind me,” he said.

“It is nice to have that core group together, and guys pushing to get into it, too.”

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/geelong-cats-news/selwood-to-lead-again/

I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkins didn't put his hand up for a spot - he had been the leadership group for a few years and then opted to stand down ahead of the season launch last year.

Maybe he decided that 2018 had been a really good season for him, so why change things by going back to the leadership group. Keep things a little bit simpler and focus on his game - that won't stop him from being a leader, he just doesn't need to attend extra meetings and stuff

Pretty sure Tommy pulled the pin a year or two ago.

Leadership groups are a bit of a wank let's be honest... At the end of the day below the captain and the vice it's something that looks good on the resume and that's about it.

Scooter now free to focus on his VFL year :D

I think this leadership group shows where our list is at. Not a hell of a lot going on under 26 years of age.

Would have liked to have seen a younger player in this group. Either Jack Henry or Brandon Parfitt should be in front of Taylor, who I can't see in our best 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this leadership group shows where our list is at. Not a hell of a lot going on under 26 years of age.

Would have liked to have seen a younger player in this group. Either Jack Henry or Brandon Parfitt should be in front of Taylor, who I can't see in our best 22
How many AFL leadership groups feature under 26 year olds?

Young players have enough on their plate without adding the unnecessary pressure of leadership duties.

It's probably a little too early for one of these guys to be in the group. Maybe next year or the year after when a spot is open after Taylor leaves

But I can see Henry captaining straight after Joel - even in Blicavs or Dangerfield are still going. It would be smart to go for another long-term leader rather than continually picking the oldest/best player (which we used to do right up until 'The Review' in 2006/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back