Analysis 2018 v 2017 YOY comparison - are we really getting better?

Remove this Banner Ad

We just look so much more organised and confident in our back half.

Hats off to Hodge and also to Fagan for talking him into another (2?) seasons

I really think the “Hodge” factor has been significant.

Barring some significant injury,I see absolutely no reason why the old man shouldn’t go around again in 2019.

Barring some significant injury,I see absolutely no reason why the old man shouldn’t go around again in 2019.
Maybe he can play on in 2020 as well and finish his career off with a 5th flag.

Maybe he can play on in 2020 as well and finish his career off with a 5th flag.

Well, his kicking game is still sublime, his ability to read where the ball is headed is still excellent and his closing speed to effect a spoil/get to a contest is still way above average, if not near elite.

He reckons his body is still up to it, so yeah, let’s keep a open mind as to how long the old bugger can go.

Well, his kicking game is still sublime, his ability to read where the ball is headed is still excellent and his closing speed to effect a spoil/get to a contest is still way above average, if not near elite.

He reckons his body is still up to it, so yeah, let’s keep a open mind as to how long the old bugger can go.
This season we're also consistently holding teams to under 100, something we haven't been able to do since Voss was at the helm.

Happy to be able to post these stats.

We are 2nd in the average winning margin at 55.5 (Demons are 1st...wtf?)

7th for average losing margin at 27.5. Of the 13 teams that have an average losing margin of 36 points or less, we are the only one with no chance of finals.

He's loving Brisbane and his family are too. Don't be surprised if he sticks around here for a while even if he retired. At best he'll end up a full time assistant coach, at worst part time + media. Reckon he's settled for a lifestyle of sunshine and beaches now!

I also think that whilst our last 2 games were frustrating and we all got a bit down after them, our form line is still ok, in hindsight it's not surprising we bullied a team in our bracket once given the chance.

We lost to the Bombers in a scrappy affair where we missed so many freaking easy chances, and played poorly, and they are just about the form team in the comp ATM having beaten GWS at home, the Cats and North.

The.. again, we take it up to GWS, albeit, not playing well - with the Andrews incident costing us badly. They are a decent football team and we were not without our chances at times, even though it was never really in reach, we were also coming off a Bye which history suggests can hurt teams.

Our next three games are all winnable and again, if we are genuinely improving, then this is where we take that next step and beat Carlton, and win either the game against the Hawks in Tassie or the Crows at home.

I don't think we could have expected too much improvement this season given our midfield depth; Beams and Stef getting towards the end of their careers (and Beams struggling with his dads passing), Zorko struggles with a tag, Robbo and Bundy coming back from injury as well. Then we rely on Clug and Berry being first string midfielders and Cuts and Taylor being our wingers and struggling for consistency.

The backline has been great but we also have a forwardline without any consistent goal kickers. I don't think we'll be winning 8+ games a season until we have at least 6 A or B grade midfielders. Might happen next season.

Coming this off season jack-
87ea77226878d1ba3ad0841a5b134a22.jpg

Our next three games are all winnable and again, if we are genuinely improving, then this is where we take that next step and beat Carlton, and win either the game against the Hawks in Tassie or the Crows at home.

We should beat the blues but I think we will get a reality check in those other games. We played how we wanted to play against Freo but I can't see any other teams apart from the suns and blues letting us play like that.

We should expect to get 2 more wins and fingers crossed there is another upset win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should beat the blues but I think we will get a reality check in those other games. We played how we wanted to play against Freo but I can't see any other teams apart from the suns and blues letting us play like that.

We should expect to get 2 more wins and fingers crossed there is another upset win.

Yeah I won't be tipping us in either game VS Hawks and Crows, however, if we are really starting to progress we should be looking at those 2 games as ones which we can win.

Not suggesting if we don't win either we are regressing, but, that's the next step - having a dip at these mid tier teams on a more regular basis, not just these sporadic wins which are followed by 6 weeks of scattered regression.

I'm tipping we will have a 'shock' win or two. The one I would really love is Geelong at Geelong. Would be reminiscent of some of our wins down there in the glory years. There's no better sight than the Cats supporters streaming out of the ground half way through the last quarter.

I'm tipping we will have a 'shock' win or two. The one I would really love is Geelong at Geelong. Would be reminiscent of some of our wins down there in the glory years. There's no better sight than the Cats supporters streaming out of the ground half way through the last quarter.

Could drop them out of the Top 8 as well!

I've got a bad feeling about the Carlton game.

They weren't bad on Saturday. We're at risk of overconfidence, and with a 6-day break (and I'm pretty sure The Roar Deal said we were flying back today, making it effectively a 5-day break), we could be slow out of the gates. I know Carlton suck, but let's not pretend that we're in premierships contention. We're still a long way off the rest of the comp.

I've got a bad feeling about the Carlton game.

They weren't bad on Saturday. We're at risk of overconfidence, and with a 6-day break (and I'm pretty sure The Roar Deal said we were flying back today, making it effectively a 5-day break), we could be slow out of the gates. I know Carlton suck, but let's not pretend that we're in premierships contention. We're still a long way off the rest of the comp.
Chris Fagan mentioned in his presser that we will not be getting ahead of ourselves and added that we have no reason to. IIRC it was Dan McStay in an after game interview who said he can't wait for the Blues game already.

It would be a massive downer if we lost though especially after such a great away win. We need to win these sort of games, starting this Saturday.

I don't think it's a big deal. They usually just skip the main session I think. Any impact would probably be offset by the confidence gained by the win.

We're a 20 point better team than them this season and have won twice as many games :)

Would be very disappointed if we lose this week

Chris Fagan mentioned in his presser that we will not be getting ahead of ourselves and added that we have no reason to. IIRC it was Dan McStay in an after game interview who said he can't wait for the Blues game already.

It would be a massive downer if we lost though especially after such a great away win. We need to win these sort of games, starting this Saturday.
Yes, but "we're not getting ahead of ourselves" is the bottom-of-the-ladder equivalent of "we aren't underestimating [team]". It's what you say when you ARE getting ahead of yourself, or underestimating your opposition. And you know what happens then... It just happened to Freo - they showed up expecting an easy win, didn't put in the effort, and they got beat.

We'll see. I think I have it a lot closer to a 50/50 game than a lot of the Lions posters on BF.

Yes, but "we're not getting ahead of ourselves" is the bottom-of-the-ladder equivalent of "we aren't underestimating [team]". It's what you say when you ARE getting ahead of yourself, or underestimating your opposition. And you know what happens then... It just happened to Freo - they showed up expecting an easy win, didn't put in the effort, and they got beat.

We'll see. I think I have it a lot closer to a 50/50 game than a lot of the Lions posters on BF.
I thought Carlton played some OK footy for a fair bit of their game.

Yeah I agree, I think it will be a close game. The longer a team has gone without a win, the more the pressure builds & the more they're inclined to do what it takes to get over the line i.e. the Saints, Doggies & Us last week. This is why people say 'they're due' for a win. So much of how teams perform comes down to the six inches between the ears.

I think we're a good chance of a win, even though backing up from a trip to Perth is tough, but if the Blues play a blinder of a game so be it. No one game is the be all & end all, the change & improvement with our team & club in general over the last 18 months has been nothing short of brilliant.

I think you are way too pessimistic in a lot of your contributions but here, I am in accord with your thinking.

Confidence in the group will be sky high after that terrific away win in Perth but it's what they do with that confidence that's important.

They need to be switched on from the start and approach the game the same way they did in Perth on Sunday. Go and win the first quarter and build from that. We absolutely can't afford a lazy "she'll be right" first quarter lest we do a Freo and find ourselves behind when we least expected it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back