HB: N.Haynes, A.Tomlinson, N.Wilson
C: D.Shiel, S.Coniglio, T.Taranto
HF: M.de Boer, H.Himmelberg, T.Scully
F: S.Johnson, J.Patton, B.Deledio
FOLL: R.Lobb, J.Hopper, J.Kelly
I/C: A.Corr, L.Whitfield, T.Greene, C.Ward

EMG: D.Smith, H.Perryman, S.Reid

Thoughts on how we line up for Round 1?

OK, I've left the team in the same positional order as per the PF lineup (not that I think that's either optimal or how they actually played!). Assuming everyone is available for selection, and without knowing who the new draftees are but assuming the experienced team get first look at the team, then I think it could be as easy as Jezza returning and a replacement for Wilson, which I have as Adam Kennedy to play a more defensively-minded role.

Questions for me will be:
  • Ryan Griffen? Leon's obviously a fan, will he have the same problem as with Stevie J being non-influential in games but being continually selected. If selected, he either takes Hopper's place (which is wrong IMHO unless form warrants it) or perhaps Wilson's position in defence (instead of where I have Adam Kennedy).
  • The forward line makeup? With Rory Lobb assuming main ruck duties (presumably) do we bring in HH as a third tall (but very mobile) forward, or switch to another medium/small? I'm betting Leon will go with the 3 talls given HH's PF performance & how mobile he is, but I could be surprised. In that case, a new draftee (such as Jack Higgins if we get him) is a chance to make the team early, or this is where Griffen could fit in (only problem is his speed in being able to chase, tackle & lock the ball in the F50).

B: Z.Williams, P.Davis, H.Shaw
HB: N.Haynes, A.Tomlinson, A. Kennedy
F: J.Cameron, J.Patton, B.Deledio

EMG: R.Griffen, H.Perryman, W.Setterfield [Edit: removed Sam Reid & replaced]

Last edited:
Here is Adam Curley's of afl.com go at our best 22 and have to say it's looking a bit to tall down back for mine
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-21/best-22-how-your-club-could-line-up-in-2018

B: Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Adam Tomlinson
HB: Zac Williams, Phil Davis, Nick Haynes
C: Tom Scully, Callan Ward, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Dylan Shiel, Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene
F: Brett Deledio, Jonathon Patton, Tim Taranto
R: Rory Lobb, Stephen Coniglio, Josh Kelly
INT: Jacob Hopper, Will Setterfield, Adam Kennedy, Ryan Griffen

OK, I've left the team in the same positional order as per the PF lineup (not that I think that's either optimal or how they actually played!). Assuming everyone is available for selection, and without knowing who the new draftees are but assuming the experienced team get first look at the team, then I think it could be as easy as Jezza returning and a replacement for Wilson, which I have as Adam Kennedy to play a more defensively-minded role.

Questions for me will be:
  • Ryan Griffen? Leon's obviously a fan, will he have the same problem as with Stevie J being non-influential in games but being continually selected. If selected, he either takes Hopper's place (which is wrong IMHO unless form warrants it) or perhaps Wilson's position in defence (instead of where I have Adam Kennedy).
  • The forward line makeup? With Rory Lobb assuming main ruck duties (presumably) do we bring in HH as a third tall (but very mobile) forward, or switch to another medium/small? I'm betting Leon will go with the 3 talls given HH's PF performance & how mobile he is, but I could be surprised. In that case, a new draftee (such as Jack Higgins if we get him) is a chance to make the team early, or this is where Griffen could fit in (only problem is his speed in being able to chase, tackle & lock the ball in the F50).

B: Z.Williams, P.Davis, H.Shaw
HB: N.Haynes, A.Tomlinson, A. Kennedy
F: J.Cameron, J.Patton, B.Deledio

EMG: R.Griffen, H.Perryman, S.Reid

As long as the team is picked on form I'm very happy with Griff in the team, at anywhere near his best he is a very classy player, I suspect his best role for us is probably half back..

I'll have a go later myself, but difficulty doing so "comfortably" is what made me pose the question now

Here is Adam Curley's of afl.com go at our best 22 and have to say it's looking a bit to tall down back for mine
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-21/best-22-how-your-club-could-line-up-in-2018

B: Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Adam Tomlinson
HB: Zac Williams, Phil Davis, Nick Haynes
C: Tom Scully, Callan Ward, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Dylan Shiel, Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene
F: Brett Deledio, Jonathon Patton, Tim Taranto
R: Rory Lobb, Stephen Coniglio, Josh Kelly
INT: Jacob Hopper, Will Setterfield, Adam Kennedy, Ryan Griffen

I have always been keen on Tomlinson when he's allowed to run, I'd be delighted if he played a couple of pre-season games as a tall outside mid, unlikely, but if it came off, damn!!

Agree the backline is far too tall, the rest of side feels at the least valid

Last edited:
BEST 22

FB: Shaw — Corr — Tomlinson
HB: Haynes — Davis — Williams
CT: Scully — Ward — Kelly
HF: Greene — Cameron — Whitfield
FF: Deledio — Patton — Himmelberg
RR: Lobb — Shiel — Coniglio
Int: Hopper — Taranto — Setterfield — Griffen

RESERVES

FB: Perryman — Mohr — Kennedy
HB: Buntine — Stein — Cumming
CT:
HF: Tiziani — Finlayson— De Boer
FF: Reid — Sproule — Lloyd
RR: Simpson
Int: Flynn

We are once again in need of midfield depth and will hopefully address this in the upcoming draft

BEST 22

RESERVES

CT:

We are once again in need of midfield depth and will hopefully address this in the upcoming draft
Same as Curley, a bit too tall. I would put Kenners in for HH or Tommo. Can see a big battle for a tall utility/ swingman spot between HH and Tommo.

Agree that our focus in the draft must be mids.

Too many variables, not the least a long off season to com, for me to try to pick the team.
I do thing we'll have the General, Jezza and Himmelbyrg playing primarily as tall forwards.

I also think we'll have Davis, Corr and Haynes as tall backs. Tommo the query against teams who dont bat deep in tall forwards. Maybe a different role. Bunts takes a tall spot if he plays in my view as he always has. I hope Kenners plays, and he will take a small spot.

If all are healthy then I think we start round 1 like this:

B: Shaw, Davis, Corr
HB: Tomlinson, Williams, Haynes
C: Coniglio, Kelly, Scully
HF: Greene, Taranto, Whitfield
F: Patton, Deledio, Cameron
R: Lobb, Ward, Shiel
INT: Hopper, De Boer, Griffen, Himmelberg

EMG: Setterfield, Kennedy, Perryman

I see Setterfield eventually securing himself a spot in the 22 later in the season.
Kennedy and Perryman are both options if we prove to be too tall at the back.

Same as Curley, a bit too tall. I would put Kenners in for HH or Tommo. Can see a big battle for a tall utility/ swingman spot between HH and Tommo.

Agree that our focus in the draft must be mids.
Haynes, corr and Tomlinson all have the leg speed to play both tall and small so I don’t see a major issue with the defence and HH showed more up forward than down back

Assuming round 1 and Kenners and Bunts not available.

Perryman Davis Haynes
Williams Corr Shaw
Scully Ward Whitfield
Greene Cameron MDB
Harry Patton Lids

Lobb Sheil Cogs

Tomlinson Kelly Hopper Griffen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's my first shot, glad I don't have to do it for real to be honest.
Some of it possibly reflects what I'd like to see rather than what I expect to see.
As graphically pointed out by coniglio_number1 our midfield depth is lacking, would be stunned if pick 11 doesn't go to the best available midfielder without an exhibited go home problem.

Shaw - Davis - Haynes
Williams - Griffen - Perryman
Scully - Ward - Kelly
Taranto - Cameron - Whitfield
Greene - Patton - Deledio
Lobb - Shiel - Coniglio
I/C: Hopper, Tomlinson, Setterfield, Himmelberg

Emerg: Corr, de Boer, Cumming

Assumed inj;
A Kennedy, M Buntine

Ok so my best 22 and where I would play them
Bold are locks and would play unless injured
Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams
Corr Whitfield
Scully Ward Shiel
Greene Cameron Kelly

TT Patton MDB
Lobb Coniglio Hopper
Deledio Tomlinson Griffen A Kennedy

With Wilson leaving I think the more experienced players and better disposal is needed and why I have Williams and Whitfield there
The 4 on the bench are all flexible to play over the ground and over all it could be lacking a bit of leg speed but it is an improvement on this year
Patton and Tomlinson to help in the ruck and Tomlinson to mainly play as a defender
Depending on preseason Setterfield possibly in for Griffen and Perryman an option for a mid spot

Last edited:
Shaw maybe to miss a few games to freshen up in the back half of the year
Corr to fight with Tomlinson for the 2nd KPD role when match ups require that
TT should play most games but may need a rest for a minor injury but I can't see him playing much NEAFL
MDB Again should play most games but depending on injuries
Hopper I feel the club may take a cautious approach with his back and heart he could miss a few games
Deledio 15 games would be good for him so maybe he will be on a modified program and miss a few games and start with a few neafl games to test his body
Tomlinson His flexibility gets him a spot on the bench at a minimum and then he can slot into CHB for Corr
Griffen Start the season and then depending on form and his body he is a possibility to not make the end of the season IMO
A Kennedy Flexibility is key for him and he is a proven mature body and coming back from the ACL he may not be ready for the pre season comp

The others
Setterfield is the big one who would make a big impression next season, only 2 games and I think both were ended early by injury. Not sure he has the positional flexibility to play forward or behind the ball but I am hoping for more than 10 games so he can have a good run of games
Perryman he had a good introduction to AFL although i don't see where he plays although he could be on the wing if Whitfield and Scully play HB and like Setterfield I hope he has the opportunity of a good run of games and also has a designated position
HH Will fill in if any of the talks miss games and also form
Simpson will fill in for Lobb and I can see 5-10 games
Buntine depending on how he comes back from the ACL he is up against it for a game as a tall defender so is he a chance to play as a lockdown on a small defender or is he too slow and not mobile?

That should be the core of the squad and the others are just depth but they will still get plenty of games
Reid Proven player and flexible but it depends on if the MC see him with the speed to play the game
Lloyd Capable and depending on preseason and NEAFL form he should get the odd game
Tiziani Up against Reid and Lloyd for a spot so will need to kick goals and tackle more than them to get a game
Cumming Will need to dominate NEAFL and needs to play wing/defence at that level as I see him playing that at AFL level
Finlayson Purely NEAFL unless shocking run of injuries
Mohr Purely NEAFL unless shocking run of injuries
Sproule Developing year but unlikely to get a call up this year
Stein Developing year and learning the game
Flynn Hoping to see him first ruck at NEAFL and dominate for him to be considered for AFL. 3rd year on the list so I can see him having a run even as a forward and take a few ruck contests

In regards to buntines role I always saw him as the successor to Shaw. He has fantastic leadership and can play the quarterback role well.
I agree he is possible to play that role but just if he has the pace and agility
The questions for the defence this year are who will replace shaw and also if the 4 talks can play in the same team

I agree he is possible to play that role but just if he has the pace and agility
The questions for the defence this year are who will replace shaw and also if the 4 talks can play in the same team
We are very lucky that our 4 talls are mostly dynamic athletes which compensates the “disadvantage” of playing too many talls.

I would feel different if it was what the eagles had with brown, Schofield, Mackenzie and McGovern. Good marking power but not exactly blistering

FWIW I thought I would have a go. It will probably change a lot by round 1 depending on pre season, injuries and who turns up fit BUT....here we go

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Corr Griffen
Scully Ward Whitfield
Greene Cameron TT
MDB Patton Lids

Lobb Sheil Cogs

Tomlinson Kelly Hopper Setterfield

I have Griffen starting off half back. I want either him or Lids moving the ball out of there with precision. Although I do understand that Perryman and Cumming will be a hot chance to take that spot if he doesn't start well.

I have ward, cogs, kelly, hopper, griff, lids, whitfield and green through the mid rotations with the first 4 taking most of the time up there.

I think up forward we have two talls but will play one of them high up the ground and try to play one out more regularly to try and maximise our pressure.

I think Setterfields position could easily sub out for HH but I would prefer us smaller hence his selection.

Despite not having selected him in my 22, I'd be keen too to see Setterfield in action. If Kenners is out injured, it would certainly open up a spot to either slot someone back and insert Setterfield, or even have him play off half back and see how he performs.

Despite not having selected him in my 22, I'd be keen too to see Setterfield in action. If Kenners is out injured, it would certainly open up a spot to either slot someone back and insert Setterfield, or even have him play off half back and see how he performs.
Agree, i really want to see what the kid can do. Although im pretty confident he is type cast to a midfield spot, I would happily be contradicted on that assessment

Teams often start a midfielder off in a HBF position to see what they bring (e.g. McGrath) with the intention to push into the middle later. So I see it as possible. And he seems to be potentially a better tackler than Lachie, say. I am not so sure on potentially a forward role, but again, willing to see what he can do. If he shows speed, tackles in the F50, and could kick goals it would seem reasonable to keep giving him games.

BEST 22

RESERVES

CT:

If their were no injuries and taking into account this years hypothetical draft selections, This is all hypothetical and I am assuming no surprises with MDB or Reid but I can see plenty of potential in the midfield on the list they just need to be patient for their opportunity and it shows with Lloyd getting the 7 games this year good form in the reserves will be rewarded

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Corr Whitfield
Scully Ward Shiel
Greene Cameron Kelly
TT Patton MDB
Lobb Coniglio Hopper
Deledio Tomlinson Griffen A Kennedy

I can see the coaches rewarding performance to the NEAFL players and last years draftees will have more of a head start but as an example Lloyd played 7 games and Finlayson had a debut although it was cut short by injury

Buntine
Mohr Stein
Cumming Finlayson Myers (R?)
Perryman Reid Powell (57)
Lloyd HH Higgins (11)
Tiziani Sproule Flynn
Simpson Setterfield Shipley (28)
Richards (R?) Spargo (27) Honeychurch (65?)
Top up 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back