World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup Quarter Final 1-FRANCE V URUGUAY

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched this at a bar in Rome, majority French support. When Mbappe went down holding his face after a brutal brush of arms & Godin went to pick him up, on replay this French bloke was saying “red card, that’s a red card!!” immediately as I was calling him a cheater/diver. I then told him violent conduct is a red card & that wasn’t it, he then told me to **** off under his breath & then speaking with his friends in French I heard “Americano”.

Due to this insult, I hope Belgium knock these campaigners out. That on top of it being a boring game, whereas the Belgium-Brazil game was ****ing quality!

Haha! Just goes to show how narrow minded fans are. How any sane person could assume that slight brush was worth a red card, yet he calls you the idiot for pointing it out? Like really?

You wonder why the culture of cheating goes on so easily, is because fans have this attitude that cheating is just the player being "smart, a good sport, doing what it takes to win" and countless other BS reasons I have seen or heard over time. Managers always defend them, and their own team mates don't say anything.

A shame that Uruguay's run (and arguably this Tabarez era of core players) ended in such fashion. They battled manfully, but for a country of that size, world class striker depth doesn't bat too deep (very lucky enough to have two of such class as it is), and the chasm was always going to show. Essentially defanged without Cavani, and with Suarez out of form. France were always going to do enough, and did that. From 2-0 down, the hill was too steep to climb.

For the first time in my lifetime, I believed Uruguay had the team to win a World Cup, and you gotta be happy with a quarter final, but whether it's Davis Cup, Rugby Union, Soccer, etc. I just loathe losing to France. Happy with their performance in this tournament, I just think Tabarez's use of Cavani in the Portugal knockout was a little too all-in and they paid the price. Easy to say in hindsight, obviously can't take any knockouts for granted, and was great to witness that industrious Cavani performance, but to play such a crucial player into injury was a risk with mixed results.

A shame that Uruguay's run (and arguably this Tabarez era of core players) ended in such fashion. They battled manfully, but for a country of that size, world class striker depth doesn't bat too deep (very lucky enough to have two of such class as it is), and the chasm was always going to show. Essentially defanged without Cavani, and with Suarez out of form. France were always going to do enough, and did that. From 2-0 down, the hill was too steep to climb.

For the first time in my lifetime, I believed Uruguay had the team to win a World Cup, and you gotta be happy with a quarter final, but whether it's Davis Cup, Rugby Union, Soccer, etc. I just loathe losing to France. Happy with their performance in this tournament, I just think Tabarez's use of Cavani in the Portugal knockout was a little too all-in and they paid the price. Easy to say in hindsight, obviously can't take any knockouts for granted, and was great to witness that industrious Cavani performance, but to play such a crucial player into injury was a risk with mixed results.
Good post.

Without Cavani I doubt they win that so it was worth the risk imo and yes hindsight is easy. Uruguay were great against Russia and Portugal. Godin should have equalised for all money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back