Preview 2018 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, if you listen to Twomey for the last three weeks, he’s hinting at Smith staying in Melbourne.

I mentioned this on the Lions board on Thursday, and one of the replies was that the Lions recruiters have said the same.

Wouldn't it make sense for the Suns to take the 3 Croweaters?

But ......St Kilda only offer pick 4. Why be so stupid and giving them more for pick 3.

Pick 4 for a pick after it & another first rounder?....Why bother when Rankine could go at 3 anyways.....Because he's the player they covet.

Saints are kidding themselves if they imagine that scenario is on the cards.

Pick 4 for a pick after it & another first rounder?....Why bother when Rankine could go at 3 anyways.....Because he's the player they covet.

Saints are kidding themselves if they imagine that scenario is on the cards.
People are just talking nonsense about Rankine go home factor , just because you trade pick 3 out for future pick does not mean next year pick won't go home or the downgrade pick won't go home . If they want to go home , they will no matter what . If Rankine done a Wingard in his interview with recruiters then is their responsibility to pick the right player at pick 3.

People are just talking nonsense about Rankine go home factor , just because you trade pick 3 out for future pick does not mean next year pick won't go home or the downgrade pick won't go home . If they want to go home , they will no matter what .

I reckon that point has more to do with Gold Coast's culture than anything else.

Port need to make it worth Gold Coast's while to trade pick 3 out, to ensure they get their man....Otherwise Adelaide could do a deal to swap with either them or St.Kilda & scupper them.

The South Aussie scenario makes it interesting given they have 4 lads in the Top 10 & both clubs have 3 first round picks in which to use in order to secure them....Lukosius looks out of reach, but you never know.

I reckon that point has more to do with Gold Coast's culture than anything else.

Port need to make it worth Gold Coast's while to trade pick 3 out, to ensure they get their man....Otherwise Adelaide could do a deal to swap with either them or St.Kilda & scupper them.

The South Aussie scenario makes it interesting given they have 4 lads in the Top 10 & both clubs have 3 first round picks in which to use in order to secure them....Lukosius looks out of reach, but you never know.
To be honest , who left in term of culture .
Guy McKenna and Eade,Clayton crew all gone . Rankine , Lukosius and Rozee could make history by creating new culture. Just helping GC to make top 8 is already an achievement where May, Lynch and Ablett fail .

To be honest , who left in term of culture .
Guy McKenna and Eade,Clayton crew all gone . Rankine , Lukosius and Rozee could make history by creating new culture. Just helping GC to make top 8 is already an achievement where May, Lynch and Ablett fail .

You won't be getting all 3 of those South Oz boys with Port still in possession of pick 5....Port & Adelaide have armed themselves with those picks in order to secure at least one of those guys each.

May, Lynch & Ablett, on top of O'Meara & Prestia; & a whole swag of first round picks besides.

You won't be getting all 3 of those South Oz boys with Port still in possession of pick 5....Port & Adelaide have armed themselves with those picks in order to secure at least one of those guys each.

May, Lynch & Ablett, on top of O'Meara & Prestia; & a whole swag of first round picks besides.
And the portable facilities ,just not serious and exactly like FIFA Soccer trying to penetrate United states market in the 70s with Pele and co and nobody give a shit . Who would have though an American played in AFL GF just few week ago .

Last edited:
Just heard about 5mins ago Port want to trade pick 5 and 15 for pick 4.
I can see this happening if GC take Luko and Rozee at 2 & 3.

Saints really like Rankine, but would no doubt grab King at 5 and pass Rankine to the SA club if we grabbed another strong first round pick.

As much as the SA clubs' supporters say they would be happy with anyone, there is a reason why they and not all other clubs in other states were so desperate to get a strong draft hand this year.

I can see this happening if GC take Luko and Rozee at 2 & 3.

Saints really like Rankine, but would no doubt grab King at 5 and pass Rankine to the SA club if we grabbed another strong first round pick.

As much as the SA clubs' supporters say they would be happy with anyone, there is a reason why they and not all other clubs in other states were so desperate to get a strong draft hand this year.

Just don't see it happening as you have nothing to give in return this year unless we may be looking at getting your future 2nd for Father/Sons next year

Just don't see it happening as you have nothing to give in return this year unless we may be looking at getting your future 2nd for Father/Sons next year

We traded out future second as part of the Hanners deal. We gave you this year's second for bugger all last year isn't that enough?

But on a serious note, in the scenario where Rankine was the only SA gun left at 4/5, then I doubt you guys would want to take the risk on go home Smith and it's too early for Hately. Of all clubs lists, Marshall, Dixon, Ryder and Westhoff should mean that you can't fit Max in.

On another note I don't think anyone can equate points to making things fairer in live trading. When trading picks, they are just picks. In live trading there is a player who you can attach to a pick, so it depends where that player sits on the clubs draft board.

If an SA club rates Luko or Rankine as the best player in the draft and he is available at pick 4, does pick 4 still have the same points value or does it now become valued at pick 1's points (to that club)?

A quick calculation will show pick 5 & 15 is 2990 points vs pick 1s 3000.

I know I've contradicted myself because I've said points can't be used in live trading but it is just another opinion on how a club might rate players vs draft picks in live trading that doesn't seem to be discussed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We traded out future second as part of the Hanners deal. We gave you this year's second for bugger all last year isn't that enough?

But on a serious note, in the scenario where Rankine was the only SA gun left at 4/5, then I doubt you guys would want to take the risk on go home Smith and it's too early for Hately. Of all clubs lists, Marshall, Dixon, Ryder and Westhoff should mean that you can't fit Max in.

On another note I don't think anyone can equate points to making things fairer in live trading. When trading picks, they are just picks. In live trading there is a player who you can attach to a pick, so it depends where that player sits on the clubs draft board.

If an SA club rates Luko or Rankine as the best player in the draft and he is available at pick 4, does pick 4 still have the same points value or does it now become valued at pick 1's points (to that club)?

A quick calculation will show pick 5 & 15 is 2990 points vs pick 1s 3000.

I know I've contradicted myself because I've said points can't be used in live trading but it is just another opinion on how a club might rate players vs draft picks in live trading that doesn't seem to be discussed.

fair opinion, but even if we were to trade with CGS we would be looking at getting a 2nd back, 5 and 15 for one spot isn't worth it for potential. plus same could be said about you taking Rankine in relation to the go home factor, we don't have a bad record at all with losing out of state players beside ones we are actively trying to move on, we actually can't get ride of them.

Of all clubs lists, Marshall, Dixon, Ryder and Westhoff should mean that you can't fit Max in.

Westhoff is 32, Ryder is 30, Dixon is 28. By the time Max King is ready to play, Westhoff will be retired and the other two will be either retired or on their last legs.

Adelaide can go for it if they want.

Pick 5 for us is a good pick. I dont know trading 10/15 is worth us moving up 1 spot.

would we prefer rankine or Smith and Hately?
pretty sure the crows cant offer next years first without receiving one back because we traded future picks during trade week. but i feel port are worried gold coast are gonna swoop on rozee to get 3 SA boys. the rumour i heard was gc were going to swap with saints to secure rozee and thats why now port want 4. just on the rumourmill

MAKE A PREDICTION FOR WHO YOU THINK WILL GO #1
-Rankine

PICK 2 DIFFERENT GUYS WHO YOU THINK ARE LOCKS TO GO TOP 5
- Lukosius
- Walsh

PICK 3 DIFFERENT GUYS WHO YOU THINK ARE LOCKS TO GO SOMEWHERE IN THE TOP 10
- M King
- T Thomas
- B King

Not going to be far off with this - should get the the box trifecta tonight and a chance for the 1st 4!!

MAKE A PREDICTION FOR WHO YOU THINK WILL GO #1
-Curtis Taylor (VIC)

PICK 2 DIFFERENT GUYS WHO YOU THINK ARE LOCKS TO GO TOP 5
-Connor Rozee (SA)
-Sam Walsh (VIC)

PICK 3 DIFFERENT GUYS WHO YOU THINK ARE LOCKS TO GO SOMEWHERE IN THE TOP 10
-Izak Rankine (SA)
-Tarryn Thomas (TAS)
- Bailey Smith (VIC)

Hahahahahahahaha!!!! Well apart from the pick 1 the rest were right! But pick 1 was massively wrong.....:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back