C'wealth 2018 Commonwealth Games - Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Exactly a week ago marked the 1000 day countdown to the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast. It will be held 4-15 April 2018. 71 countries are expected to make the trip to the glitter strip. The 17 sports included in the programme include:
  • Aquatics
  • Athletics
  • Badminton
  • Basketball
  • Boxing
  • Cycling
  • Gymnastics
  • Hockey
  • Lawn Bowls
  • Netball
  • Rugby Sevens
  • Shooting
  • Squash
  • Table Tennis
  • Triathlon
  • Weightlifting
  • Wrestling
The Games will be televised live on Channel 7.

A total of 18 venues will be used during the games and they include:

tVFvj6b.jpg

Carrara Stadium (Home of the Suns)
Events: Opening & Closing Ceremony, Athletics
Capacity: 40,000

9MdwHsL.jpg

Robina Stadium (Home of the Titans)
Events: Rugby 7s
Capacity: 27,400

dPQoNVV.jpg

Gold Coast Aquatic Centre (Southport)
Events: Diving, Swimming
Capacity: 10,000

0lvfAcr.jpg

Coomera Sports and Leisure Centre
Events: Gymnastics, Netball
Capacity: 7,500

9i818as.jpg

Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre (Broadbeach)
Events: Basketball, Netball
Capacity: 5,269

Gold Coast Hockey Centre (Labrador)
Events: Hockey
Capacity: 5,000

Village Roadshow Studios (Oxenford)
Events: Boxing, Table Tennis
Capacity: 3,200

Broadbeach Bowls Club
Events: Bowls
Capacity: 2,500

Runaway Bay Sports Centre
Events: Squash
Capacity: 3,000

Carrara Indoor Stadium
Events: Weightlifting

Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre
Events: Badminton, Wrestling

Southport Broadwater Parklands
Events: Marathon, Racewalking, Triathlon

Currumbin Valley
Events: Road cycling
Capacity: Unknown

Nerang National Park
Events: Mountain Biking
Capacity: 2,000

Venues outside Gold Coast

Cairns Convention Centre
Events: Basketball (men)
Capacity: 5,300

Townsville Entertainment and Convention Centre
Events: Basketball (women)
Capacity: 5,257

Sleeman Sports Complex (Brisbane)
Events: Track cycling
Capacity: 4,000

Belmont Shooting Centre
Events: Shooting
Capacity: 3,000

So, are you interested? Will you watch? Will you attend? Which events are you most looking forward to watching?

If 7 win the 2017-21 footy TV rights it will be interesting to see how they use their 3 channels over the 4 April to 18 April period; I will probably go up and watch some athletics over a longish weekend and stay with my sister. Its about a 1.5km walk from her place to Robina Stadium so I probably will watch a morning session of Rugby Sevens if they are on the same weekend. Might end up going to a few other events with my good mate and his wife and 2 kids.

If 7 win the 2017-21 footy TV rights it will be interesting to see how they use their 3 channels over the 4 April to 18 April period; I will probably go up and watch some athletics over a longish weekend and stay with my sister. Its about a 1.5km walk from her place to Robina Stadium so I probably will watch a morning session of Rugby Sevens if they are on the same weekend. Might end up going to a few other events with my good mate and his wife and 2 kids.
Generally, the Rugby Sevens is done over a weekend so I would guess 7th/8th (first weekend). The Athletics are usually held in the second week of the competition so that could tie in with your plans. If it's a long weekend then you could probably watch the Rugby Sevens on the Saturday/Sunday (7th/8th) and the first day of the Athletics on Monday (9th). The Athletics and Swimming events are always appealing in my book but I would be interested in attending the Table Tennis and Weightlifting as well.

Transport may be an issue considering the train/tram lines only service a limited number of venues which is disappointing. I guess they'll just rely on extra buses.

Exciting stuff.

The Melbourne games were a great experience, I'm certainly planning on going up to the Gold Coast for a few days.
Which events did attend in '06? Which events would you like to see on the Gold Coast?

Which events did attend in '06? Which events would you like to see on the Gold Coast?

Went to a day of Athletics and the Road Race on the last day. Looking back I should have really gone to more events.

This time round, see if I can squeeze in Netball and/or Basketball as well at Athletics, see how things pan out in regards to the schedule.

I enjoy the Commonwealth Games, they are what they are.

The Athletics is good and I get to see some track cycling. The Netball will be good.

Watching on TV I just find there is to much focus on the swimming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back