Draft Review 2017 - Revisit the 2017 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't care how biased it sounds, but Dylan Moore is top 10 if you do a redraft.

Has become the heart and soul of our footy club.

Don't care how biased it sounds, but Dylan Moore is top 10 if you do a redraft.

Has become the heart and soul of our footy club.
Which of the following 4 player do you put him in front of in a redraft?

Taylor
Naughton
Brayshaw
Fritsch
Allen
Cerra
DeKoning
Miers
Mihocek
Kelly
Baker
Balta
Davies-Uniacke

Taylor
Naughton
Brayshaw
Fritsch
Allen
Cerra
DeKoning
Miers
Mihocek
Kelly
Baker
Balta
Davies-Uniacke
For me: De Koning, Balta, Miers (50/50) and Kelly

Taylor
Naughton
Brayshaw
Fritsch
Allen
Cerra
DeKoning
Miers
Mihocek
Kelly
Baker
Balta
Davies-Uniacke

Miers
Miohcek
Baker
De Koning
Balta

On exposed form that wasn't too difficult.
He's been more consistent for a longer period of time than all those players, perhaps minus Mihocek.

Hasn't had the same team success as Baker or Miers, but if you compare career statistics Moore is ahead in the majority of categories.

From scratch I could see all those players minus Miers or Baker being taken first because they are taller, athletic types.

So is the question where would be rank on what we've seen or if you were still drafting on player potential?

De Koning in particular still has further to potentially rise IMO.

Miers
Miohcek
Baker
De Koning
Balta

On exposed form that wasn't too difficult.
He's been more consistent for a longer period of time than all those players, perhaps minus Mihocek.

Hasn't had the same team success as Baker or Miers, but if you compare career statistics Moore is ahead in the majority of categories.

From scratch I could see all those players minus Miers or Baker being taken first because they are taller, athletic types.

So is the question where would be rank on what we've seen or if you were still drafting on player potential?

De Koning in particular still has further to potentially rise IMO.

Baker and Balta were both top 10 in Richmond's B&F in 2020 when Moore was struggling to get a game.

Miers has played every game when fit since the start of 2019 in some very good teams whereas Moore didn't become a regular until 2021 in a poor team.

He's a good player and you can argue he's better but it's just wrong to say he's been more consistent for longer than those players.

Baker and Balta were both top 10 in Richmond's B&F in 2020 when Moore was struggling to get a game.

Miers has played every game when fit since the start of 2019 in some very good teams whereas Moore didn't become a regular until 2021 in a poor team.

He's a good player and you can argue he's better but it's just wrong to say he's been more consistent for longer than those players.

Since establishing himself in the side, which came at the beginning of 2021.

Had only played a handful of games to that point. Happy to give all young players time to nail down a spot, without counting it against them from a consistency perspective. Hasn't looked back since that pre-season though.

Moore has B&F finishes of 4th, 3rd and 6th in the past 3 years. Likely in the top 3 this season as of right now also.

Was the only player other than Marcus Bontempelli to average 20 touches and a goal over the two season period of 2021 and 2022.

I'll throw my own bias selection in Brent Daniels into the mix.
I think he is a terrific player. Not sure exactly where he ranks, but have seen plenty have him in the rolling All Australian team for this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe the stat was over a 2 season period. If I'm incorrect in that then it was definitely the case for 2022. Just Dylan and Bont.
And you would still be wrong, which I suspect you know.

Cumulatively during 2021 and 2022 he averaged 17.88 disposals, not the 20 you stated.

Plus, if you were quoting the two years as an aggregate you would have included Petracca, who averaged 28.6 disposals and kicked 48 goals through 2021-22, but you correctly didn't include him because he only kicked 19 goals in 2021, which fell short of your 20 goal criteria.

Just admit you &^%^&$# up your stats and got it wrong.

And you would still be wrong, which I suspect you know.

Cumulatively during 2021 and 2022 he averaged 17.88 disposals, not the 20 you stated.

Plus, if you were quoting the two years as an aggregate you would have included Petracca, who averaged 28.6 disposals and kicked 48 goals through 2021-22, but you correctly didn't include him because he only kicked 19 goals in 2021, which fell short of your 20 goal criteria.

Just admit you &^%^&$# up your stats and got it wrong.

I literally said 'If I'm incorrect then it was definitely for 2022'.

I don't know how much more ownership I need to take for a statical error.

So now you're only talking about one year when your whole premise was a two year period.

Go back to the drawing board.

Always happy to put my hand up when I'm wrong. I simply misremebered.

One year or two doesn't change the fact that Dylan Moore shared an impressive run of form with Marcus Bontempelli and no other player.

No chance. 1.7 goals a game for a contender.

Yep. Miers another ahead of Moore.
Zach Bailey would be ahead of Moore as well. Do really rate Dylan though just a tough top 10 to crack
Yep. Another ahead of Moore.
Come on now. Your continued non rating of Miers is baffling enough but Dylan Moore ahead of Tim Kelly.
Not even close.

Come on now. Your continued non rating of Miers is baffling enough but Dylan Moore ahead of Tim Kelly.
Not even close.
I hate the Hawks as much as anyone but Tim Kelly has had two excellent years at Geelong and four average ones at West Coast.

Also saying that Miers (who I do rate, by the by) is neck and neck with Moore isn't an insult. Both are very good small forwards.

Not even close.

Miers has been part of a stronger side and done a fantastic job of making a career of being quite a unique player for a small forward.

But he isn't as dynamic as Moore as a footballer and doesn't have the same leadership capabilities. If we are talking about who goes first in a redraft then these qualities would be taken into account.

Statistically over their careers Moore leads in almost every category.

Elaborate on this with a defined period and statistics.

Screenshot_20240515_113237_Instagram.jpg

Also, over the two season period of 2022 and 2023 Moorey averaged 20.53 disposals and 0.95 goals a game.

As previously stated, I made an error when first attempting to define the period. He achieved it in one full season and subsequently missed it the following season by 3 goals.

I hate the Hawks as much as anyone but Tim Kelly has had two excellent years at Geelong and four average ones at West Coast.

Also saying that Miers (who I do rate, by the by) is neck and neck with Moore isn't an insult. Both are very good small forwards.
I suggest you take a closer look at Kelly in WCE. Not really average at all.
Miers has been part of a stronger side and done a fantastic job of making a career of being quite a unique player for a small forward.

But he isn't as dynamic as Moore as a footballer and doesn't have the same leadership capabilities. If we are talking about who goes first in a redraft then these qualities would be taken into account.

Statistically over their careers Moore leads in almost every category.

How do we know anything of leadership qualities for people not exposed to it? He could have leadership capabilities and they're untapped. He could have none.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back