BigFooty Official 2017 Official Big Footy Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

That is like saying "my son could get an A in his mathematics test, but he just doesn't feel like it"
Yeh, It's probably not a great trait to have and he has been questioned about his desire to be the absolute best he can be. I see him kind the same as Ben Simmons in his college basketball days. He just knew he was better than anyone else so probably didn't give 100% commitment to his game, but thrown into the NBA he is challenged and really enjoys trying to prove his worth against the best.

Pick 2 Fremantle - Jaidyn Stephenson (189cm, 75kg midfielder/forward from Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)

I first saw Stephenson as a 16 year old playing for Eastern Ranges in the TAC Cup back in 2015, and it was immediately evident he was special. Two years out from the draft, and he was their best player in the Grand Final with 3 goals. And he finished off his 2016 with as good a month as you'll see, with 13 goals coming from his last four matches. It was over a year ago that I had him earmarked as the #1 player in this draft. And as far as I'm concerned, he's only gotten better.

Up until this year, Stephenson played almost exclusively as a forward. Often as the deepest forward. And it's hard to argue with the success he had, averaging over two goals a game. He was, and I think will remain to be, an impossible match up. Outside of Alex Rance, there won't be many who could go with him in the air, on the lead and on the ground. I saw the AFL website compared Stephenson to Jeremy Cameron, and it's not bad actually. He doesn't have the size obviously and he won't be a key forward, but he has a similar body type with long arms that just grab the ball. And he's always active. He's a near elite contested mark for his size, but just as adept when the ball is on the ground. In the TAC Cup, Stephenson would often play behind his man using his leap and wing span to beat them to the ball. Obviously plucking the ball from a contest wont always work at AFL level, but it just shows that he's never out of a contest.

Defensively, his chasing pressure is as good as anyone. He ran a sub 3 second 20m sprint, and he's one of those players who actually plays at that speed too. It's not just straight line on an athletic track speed. Whether he has the ball in hand or chasing down an opponent, his running is almost fanatical. Could be forgiven for mistaking him with Jayden Hunt.

If you were to look at the stats alone, you'd think Stephenson had a down year going from 23 goals to only 14 goals in 15 matches. But what he's done, is transform himself from third tall forward to genuine midfielder. He did start a little slowly as he made the move up the ground, but that changed at the U18 Championships against South Australia when he finished with 28 disposals and 5 goals. It was easily the best individual performance of the Championships, and it propelled him forward from there. And like in 2016, his last 6 weeks in the TAC Cup were excellent - one 39 disposal game, and he finished the season with almost half of the his disposals being contested. One thing I've always rated highly, is when a skinny player can win the contested ball. If you're 10kg heavier than everyone, it's easy to crash and bash your way through. But when you're only 75kg, it shows a natural ability and football smarts. Fremantle fans will remember that with Nathan Fyfe and Stephen Hill, could see the potential early and for it to be filled once they put on muscle.

So I think I've now said Stephenson is a mixture of Jeremy Cameron, Jayden Hunt, Nathan Fyfe and Stephen Hill. That would make him quite a player. But why isn't he the clear #1 prospect of all time then? Well coming into the year, there were three main knocks on him - midfield ability, consistency and kicking. He well and truly answered the first two, and for me he finished the year as the best performing midfielder in the draft. And I suppose there is always a question about whether the skinny kids can bulk up enough, but most seem to do it well.

His kicking though is still a work in progress. Interestingly, put a set of goals in front of him and there isn't a problem. I've also found that when he kicks through the ball, again there isn't much of a problem there. But it's on the short and medium kicks that he can lack a bit of touch and doesn't always judge the distance quite right. And also when he's flat footed, on the run isn't too bad. I do think it's improved over the past couple of years, and with some tightening of his technique it should improve even further.

Ultimately, I think this draft has some really good talent in the top 10. But few game winners. And that's exactly what Jaidyn Stephenson is, up forward or through the midfield. He's also a big game player. Whether it was the TAC Cup GF back in 2015, or being best afield in the U18 All Stars game. Check out giantroo's highlight video of that game here, I think it's a good summary of everything I've said.

But what will Fremantle actually do here?
I expect they'll pick whoever Brisbane doesn't choose out of Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paddy Dow. It should be pretty simple. Outside chance of Adam Cerra, depends if they think he'll slip through to #5.

So why didn't I do that?
Well, I rate Stephenson as the #1 prospect in the draft. So that alone should explain it. I can take him here, making sure I don't miss out if Carlton or North Melbourne were to take him at #3 or #4 (which I don't expect they would have). But I'll still being able to get another top midfielder in Dow or Cerra at #5 anyway. See, I have a plan.

Pick 3: Carlton – Cameron Rayner
General Forward/Inside Midfielder (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
21/10/1999 | 186.5cm | 87.2kg

If I did not have pick 10 in this draft, I would have picked Cerra or Brayshaw. Having two top ten picks, I am going for upside with my first pick and selecting a player that has the potential to become Elite. Cerra and Brayshaw's upside may just be a step below elite but I really do like those two players.

Rayner is a power athlete with elements of Mills, he will start forward and be a hard match up. Long term you will hope he moves into the midfield and hopefully has a Robbie Gray/GAJ styled game about him. Endurance would be the main concern going forward for this kid, needs to build up a tank. Considering his supposed lack of a tank, he still manages to find the ball, so he is obviously smart about his running patterns.
Strong contested mark and loves to use his strength in that SPP/Martin mould of player and seems to walk around with a touch of arrogance on the field. Those elite players you want to have elements of FIGJAM about them. Just a player that will do things others in the draft class don't have the potential to do.

Carlton have traded away anyone that can kick goals over the last few years (Garlett, Betts...) so adding a short term forward/midfielder would be helpful. The projection is for Rayner to become a midfielder with a combination of an inside and outside game.

Pick 3: Carlton – Cameron Rayner
General Forward/Inside Midfielder (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
21/10/1999 | 186.5cm | 87.2kg

If I did not have pick 10 in this draft, I would have picked Cerra or Brayshaw. Having two top ten picks, I am going for upside with my first pick and selecting a player that has the potential to become Elite. Cerra and Brayshaw's upside may just be a step below elite but I really do like those two players.

Rayner is a power athlete with elements of Mills, he will start forward and be a hard match up. Long term you will hope he moves into the midfield and hopefully has a Robbie Gray/GAJ styled game about him. Endurance would be the main concern going forward for this kid, needs to build up a tank. Considering his supposed lack of a tank, he still manages to find the ball, so he is obviously smart about his running patterns.
Strong contested mark and loves to use his strength in that SPP/Martin mould of player and seems to walk around with a touch of arrogance on the field. Those elite players you want to have elements of FIGJAM about them. Just a player that will do things others in the draft class don't have the potential to do.

Carlton have traded away anyone that can kick goals over the last few years (Garlett, Betts...) so adding a short term forward/midfielder would be helpful. The projection is for Rayner to become a midfielder with a combination of an inside and outside game.

I can understand your reasoning and feel that line of thinking may come into calculation, should things be close between players.

One doesn't want to get too clever, but if you have openings for two of the right type-players to move straight into your best 22, then maybe you take on that option.

I can understand your reasoning and feel that line of thinking may come into calculation, should things be close between players.

One doesn't want to get too clever, but if you have openings for two of the right type-players to move straight into your best 22, then maybe you take on that option.
Don't mistake the fact that if we choose Rayner and he's fit, he will play Round 1 at the MCG against Richmond - likely in a forward pocket.

This draft's top ten is wide open in my eyes. Not sure picking Rayner is being too clever, it is not the most crazy option for pick 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This draft's top ten is wide open in my eyes. Not sure picking Rayner is being too clever, it is not the most crazy option for pick 3.

I wasn't suggesting your selection was trying to be too clever, but just the notion of picking x and getting y at a later stage to balance things out, as opposed to simply taking the best player , could be seen to be.

For the reasons you put forward, getting Rayner at #3 and most likely a quality mid at #10, could be a great outcome for the CFC and especially so, if for virtue of their playing positions grants them opportunity from the get-go. Opportunity can be very important in a players development, as you can choke talent if left in the 2's for long enough.

**** you guys are slow

It's almost like they've got real lives and jobs and stuff like that. They can't dedicate their time to being a tool on BF, for example.

It's almost like they've got real lives and jobs and stuff like that. They can't dedicate their time to being a tool on BF, for example.

It’s a public holiday in Melbourne just so you know.

Big footy mod you must think you have some status or something. It’s a footy forum all it is, get over yourself

Big footy mod you must think you have some status or something. It’s a footy forum all it is, get over yourself

Public holidays don't mean the world stops gillo, get a grip on reality.

What are you talking about. He was just saying that posters who are doing the selections may not be on the computer all day. They may be out with friends or family and so not have time to do this during the day.

What are you talking about. He was just saying that posters who are doing the selections may not be on the computer all day. They may be out with friends or family and so not have time to do this during the day.

I know at least some of the participants also don't live in Melbourne.

Yes cause the whole AFL supporting world lives in Melbourne.

The only person who needs to get over themselves is the one demanding that volunteeres aren't fulfilling his personal need to be entertained quick enough.

Yeah - he could’ve fallen down a mine shaft and no one is able to hear his cries. Go find him gillo94, and save the town from the evil developer whilst you’re at it

The Phantom draft wasn't supposed to start until Wednesday most wouldn't be around because of a Melbourne holiday so thanks to Quig Chris and LM for starting early

Anyway back to the draft every time I hear about LDU I only get more depressed we have pick 1 and need the inside midfielder I would rather reach for Brayshaw or take Rayner at pick 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back