Toast 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

With 3 weeks to go...
- First time we've cracked 8 wins since 2006
- First time we've beaten Hawthorn since 2006
- First time we've won 2 in a row since 2011 (and we did it twice!!!)
- 3 on the trot v Collingwood
- 3 on the trot v Richmond
- Giants at the G

This has been the best year in a long, long time.

With 3 weeks to go...
- Giants at the G

Not sure we've actually improved though...

Not sure we've actually improved though...
Well the biggest loss of the year was 55 points in the wet at the SCG.

I think there were two moments. The first was Essendon, which caused some sort of collective 'never again' in the playing group.

The second was yesterday where for the first time it felt like there was belief within the players. The reigning three-time premiers, top of the table, and those beautiful bastards matched it with them before actually kicking away. They went back to their game plan of run-and-gun and it bloody well slaughtered the Hawks when it countered.

The most interesting part? Roos wasn't actually sitting in the box seat in the box. Goody was. Had all the key guys around him. He still had a phone, was still watching for sure, doing the addresses...but Goody is in the box seat tactically.

With 3 weeks to go...
- Giants at the G

We have finally achieved 'competent AFL team' status.

The loss to essendon still needs a royal commission though.

Well the biggest loss of the year was 55 points in the wet at the SCG.

I think there were two moments. The first was Essendon, which caused some sort of collective 'never again' in the playing group.

The second was yesterday where for the first time it felt like there was belief within the players. The reigning three-time premiers, top of the table, and those beautiful bastards matched it with them before actually kicking away. They went back to their game plan of run-and-gun and it bloody well slaughtered the Hawks when it countered.

The most interesting part? Roos wasn't actually sitting in the box seat in the box. Goody was. Had all the key guys around him. He still had a phone, was still watching for sure, doing the addresses...but Goody is in the box seat tactically.

I really should have used a smilie face. :)

With 3 weeks to go...
- Giants at the G

9 wins!

With three rounds to go our percentage is still up over 100. If our 2016 season was one big game, we'd be ahead by 44 points.

10 wins was what most of us could have reasonably expected, so that should be the bare minimum standard to meet now. The inconsistency plaques the team week-to-week, but this recent win shows the talent and class of our emerging team

Bigger bodies and bigger engines next year will yield more consistent results in 2017. We're still a mathematical chance for finals though ;)

Historically, we're either at the top or the bottom of the ladder. Sitting in the middle is a rarity for us. This season mirrors 1993 - another year of preparation for an assault on the summit.

None of this has come on the back of recruiting big names or bringing in experienced players. We only had had 5 players with more than 100 games on Saturday which is just crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you should probably go back and edit in an emoticon. Its causing all sorts of problems

What does your avatar say??

Im not sure you could put a number of wins as progression, for instance if you replace the 2nd StKilda game with a game against Brisbane we already have the 10 wins, but we arent a better side.
I think almost beating the Roos and Eagles and then beating the Hawks is the proof of improvement. I was skeptical we had improved but now that west coast game along with the Hawks game says we might have even taken another step this season

None of this has come on the back of recruiting big names or bringing in experienced players. We only had had 5 players with more than 100 games on Saturday which is just crazy.

Average 66 games played to Hawks 130. 3 years younger too. Immense.

Viney and Gawn have been the 2 big individual stories for me.

Jayden Hunt for different reasons as well.

From a team perspective it's been the clear and concise game plan which we've stuck to, and it's working.

Won't deny I've had a few overreactions on here after losses (i.e meltdowns) but I just love watching the younger guys play.

Reckon Goodwin has been in full control on matchday for a couple weeks now too, and Roos is playing more of a mentor/player development role.

Of all our young players I feel like Hunt is the least 'Melbourne'. LAte 50s pick with some genuine X factor and elite potential. I rate him as highly as Petracca, Oliver, Gawn, and Hogan, in probably the top tier of our young talent.

most promising is the lack of a blowout loss. As someone said, our biggest loss was that 55 point grind at the SCG which was hardly a thrashing. It's rare not to have been completely pantsed at least once in a season (fingers crossed I haven't spoken too soon).

most promising is the lack of a blowout loss. As someone said, our biggest loss was that 55 point grind at the SCG which was hardly a thrashing. It's rare not to have been completely pantsed at least once in a season (fingers crossed I haven't spoken too soon).
nek minnit 187 v Carlton or Geelong (again) at Skilled...or in an EF.

A definite success this year IMO.
Not only are we looking like playing with some sort of consistent game plan each week, it is being largely driven by young blokes!
This can only bode well for the future as these kids play more footy together.
Lid firmly on but this is as excited about the Demons as I have ever been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back