2016 AIHL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks. Couple more questions that Google didn't answer (within 30 seconds)

1 from the last game I saw, if the goalie catches the puck in his glove it seems to be a face off from one of the circles. Correct ? Or is where it was hit from relevant ?

2 Wikipedia mentions but does not explain how a goalie can score a goal.

Thanks. Couple more questions that Google didn't answer (within 30 seconds)

1 from the last game I saw, if the goalie catches the puck in his glove it seems to be a face off from one of the circles. Correct ? Or is where it was hit from relevant ?

2 Wikipedia mentions but does not explain how a goalie can score a goal.

1 - Correct

2 -

Pretty spiteful game between the Adrenaline and Ice Dogs this evening. Pretty decent fight to end the first period that saw the combatants take an early shower. Then it was all Adelaide in the 2nd. After fending off a 5 on 3 advantage early in the 2nd, Adelaide went to town, scoring 4 goals to zip (including 2 from a double minor) that saw Charlie Smart chased out of the net.

The third period got quite ugly - and the first incident wasn't a fight but an Ice Dog player getting stretchered off the ice with a concussion (and being seen getting bundled into an ambulance post-game). The game then got real spiteful with numerous spot fires towards the end of the game - the ref ran out of patience with the players and started handing out misconducts like candy towards the end. The Ice Dogs got a couple of consolation goals, but had dug themselves into too much of a hole earlier in the game and it was a 6-3 win to the Adrenaline.

Tonight's Melbourne derby can be watched at the below link, 8pm AEST.
http://livestream.com/atcproductions/aihl16g29

Looks like Mustangs are starting their backup tender against us again. Bold move.

Ice have started the season with 7 straight wins while the Mustangs have been a bit of everything. Logic says the Ice to win tonight but I just have a feeling the Mustangs will get up.

Jason Baclig has been interesting for us, he had 62 points in 2013 as captain and steady numbers like that in the years before.. Then in 2014+15 he only managed 28 and 27 points. Now in 2016 he has about 16 points in 7 games (AIHL website is down so I can't properly check). I guess he's happy to have Joey Hughes back?

Well, maybe not a good idea to start your backup against a team that has won 7 straight to start the year.

Especially when you went through the same thing a few weeks ago in Perth.

3 - 1 after the 1st period. 5 - 1 a minute into the 2nd after our Danish lad Lasse Lassen completed his hat-trick. He's finishing his studies here and getting ready to re-join his team in Denmark for their next season from what I know. I suspect he's just got himself warmed up.

Todd Graham still to slot into our defence at some point.

Mustangs have been good in some 3rd periods, so I won't dance on their grave just yet.

And our star Lassen has been injured in an alleged knee on knee. Out for the remainder of this game and at least the next according to our former coach.

Small talk of ramifications from Ice players so there's hints at it being a dirty hit. No footage yet, will wait for that before I condemn.

An interesting second period - Perth currently on the second 5 on 3 advantage going into the third, though so far Adelaide have had more scoring chances. The ref also had to bring the Perth coaching staff into line on a few occasions.

2-3 Perth after two.

Adelaide seems to be the team that can knock one of last year's finalists out of the 4 this year.

Mustangs are no good, lucky for them despite their incompetence they're still only two wins from 4th. Adelaide above them despite playing 3 less games though, and hpefully that gap will get wider this weekend as they play each other.

Melbourne Ice's guest coaches are going back to Sweden this week and our best player is out for 6 - 8 weeks. Big test the next two weeks vs Perth and CBR. Would be happy to split the points. If we can keep playing well and then add Lassen back as the icing on the cake before finals we'll be in a very good spot.

Still chuckling at Mustangs losing yesterday after leading 4 - 1 heading into the 3rd period vs a team that played the day before and lost a player to suspension.

Best thing Melb Ice ever did was suffer for 8 years in a shithole before they finally won a cup. They'd learnt their lessons and have stayed successful on the ice, Mustangs have just been all over the place since beating us in 2014.

Melbourne Ice are like an old club that only cares about ice hockey and lacks proper marketing ability in today's age.
Mustangs are a modern club and very hip with their marketing, but have struggled on the ice outside of 2014.

Forgot to mention our tender from last year Alex Leclerc played for Lloydminster in this years RBC Cup Final over in Canada. His team went down 4 - 0 despite having 48 shots.

Think he's playing NCAA in Colorado next season. Was his goal to play NCAA hockey.

Ugly ladder ahead of this weekend's games:

CBR vs Ice today and tomorrow, I've been waiting for this matchup all year. If CBR are going to start being the top dog then this weekend is a good place to start. Hoping both teams keep their heads and just play the puck.

13332791_10154255076469851_2498862533021493842_n.jpg

Big weekend for the Adrenaline if they want to be finals contenders. They have two games against the Bears who are without their captain and starting goaltender for both games.

Perth defeated Ice in two games last weekend, both 5 - 4 shootout wins. Despite the losses it gave me more faith that Ice are still serious team this year as they did it while missing about 5 or 6 good players.. I know Perth were missing their captain, but not familiar enough with their list to know if anyone else was missing. The biggest positive for the Ice out of that is they got two good looks at Perth's import goaltender while we sat ours for both games. They are the clear top 2 tenders in the league at the moment.

Ice players to come back in from last week:
Sturrock
Lassen (still to miss another month or so)
Humphries
Hughes
Davenport
Powell (played first game, injured for the second)
What's the bet the bulk of them return today and we get smashed now.....

Ladder for the year so far. Could very well be a very big year for Melbourne Ice if they can keep the momentum going and win a cup. Vinnie Hughes is having a retirement ceremony this weekend with the Ice. Joey Hughes is playing as strong as ever. Great to have two extremely important parts of the club back on good terms again.

Only thing worrying me now is the finals format, one lucky bounce or a few bad calls from the ref and a season of dominance comes to a bitter end. With that being said, I'm just glad to have another year of good ice-hockey from the club.

13620977_10154345533929851_2907687960700599773_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every time I watch a game from this league I wonder what the referee is thinking with so many calls, usually phantom penalties. Seem to make calls to let everyone know they exist.
Perth vs Mustangs on TV, same thing.

Funnily enough they're the only ones that get paid.

There's a lot of debate about them and a lot of different issues at play. We have a new ref this year that has a lot of overseas experience, Buddy Spohn I think his name is. As far as I know people have been happy with him.

People have wanted to go in the direction of using overseas refs for AIHL as they believe the league is outgrowing the local refs.

Gives me too much of a headache to really think a lot about. But I'll be very worried come finals time.

I haven't watched the replay of Sydney Bears vs Ice yet but that was a huge game for weird officiating.

I think he just had a go at the refs. It was a season defining game so they were pretty upset.

At the game tonight, the national anthem wasn't working over the P.A so a referee skated over, took the mic and sang the anthem himself.

Of course, the injury bug is still hanging around, so we lost one of our imports during the game.

I felt like we've been playing all year with so much depth that we've been able to run more lines than everyone else. So tonight with our injuries we were stuck with a couple lines and it showed, the guys looked exhausted. They still managed to play well.

I'm hearing Adelaide traveled to Sydney to play the Ice Dogs with only thirteen skaters and only two of whom were defencemen. Four of the thirteen were teenagers.
They lost 9-8 via an Ice Dogs' goal in the last second of the game.
A bit embarrassing for Sydney.

Annnnd they've lost control of today's game as well.

There is not a bigger ******** in this league than Stephen Blunden. The league did nothing after he attacked a Newcastle player after the game in last year's semi-final so I'm sure nothing will be done again.

Funny that back in 2012 when Melb Ice did a documentary the league had these elaborate tribunal deliberations on camera to suspend Joey and Vinnie Hughes for large amounts of time. Since then I've seen player's king hit from behind, attacked after games, others have had sticks broken over their heads while laying on the ground and players miss a game for it at most.

Final four is set, pretty much the teams I expected this year.

Thought CBR would be in Ice's place. Ice have broken the regular season points record, beating their previous AIHL record of 65 points.

CBR held a player vote to sack their coach a week ago. They then lost to the Ice Dogs in their final game for the year. They also will still miss Stephen Blunden due to suspension in the semi-final. The Ice get their captain Lliam Webster back for it.

If I had to make some predictions I'd say it'll be an Ice vs Thunder grand final.
But if there's going to be an upset in the semi-finals, it'll be CBR beating the Ice, winning on emotion and then falling flat to lose the grand final.

CqlcerAVIAAqj8x.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back